Farr X2

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
The change in shape from the keel to the insert wedge is extremely abrupt and a classic stress raiser. I cannot imagine how a famous design team could produce something like that. This is engineering design 101 type knowledge.
Clever one, you're looking at the abrupt shape change between the keel head and the composite fairings around the keel spar.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Maybe only renting for the race?

I have one Plb and 2xais mob’s. When I eventually race offshore I will as a minimum buy a 2nd Plb and rent the rest.

Personally, I think anyone who races offshore as crew on a regular basis should own their own Plb.
I'm shocked when people don't have a PLB.... at $350 it's a no brainer... I have a waterproof Iphone, VHF and PLB on me and that is for day racing..... But I have history
Most serious racers / programs have PLB and an AIS system that allows the boat to track the MOB which is the safest option

Last edited:

Wright Way

As a shipwright, I find it interesting looking at these photo's of the cast keel structure and bulb size.

When I look at it I'm amazed at how narrow the cast section is for and aft and then I look at how long the bulb is. The twist from the bulb when bouncing off waves to the fin would be a very big concern to me. I would be surprised if the fin is any thicker than about 60-90 mm at most and that's at the head of the fin and It looks like the fin narrows at the base as well.

This design is pushing the design envelop on the keel and fin that's for shore.

Pulpit

Not even close, photo cropped to protect the guilty
Skinny Keel.jpg

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
Maybe only renting for the race?

I have one Plb and 2xais mob’s. When I eventually race offshore I will as a minimum buy a 2nd Plb and rent the rest.

Personally, I think anyone who races offshore as crew on a regular basis should own their own Plb.
DK as I understand it one PLB broke when being deployed the other crew was below deck and rushed out when boat was going over without it

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I'm shocked when people don't have a PLB.... at $350 it's a no brainer... I have a waterproof Iphone, VHF and PLB on me and that is for day racing..... But I have history
Most serious racers / programs have PLB and a system that allows the boat to track the MOB which is the safest option
So not only does your boat turn turtle, you go for swims?

Latest posts