Fast 1 Person Dinghy

RobG

Super Anarchist
I have stats in a spreadsheet for 83 dinghies and skiffs in case you are wondering how much I have thought about this.
Yep, way over thinking it. You've sailed 20 OD classes? And still can't find what you're looking for? Paralysis by analysis comes to mind…

You seem to have a shortlist of maybe 3 boats (MPS, Franken 29er, EvoVX). Create some criteria, give them scores, see which comes out on top. Likely you'll still just buy the one you want on a whim or the first that comes available within reach at the right price, or maybe has the best community nearby. :)

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
  I'm just not sure about that board.  Do not know why being on a trap, managing a spinnaker, and driving does not intimidate me (did it on a 505?), but that board intimidates.  Perhaps I watched too many swimming classes in the IC vids online?
It just isn't actually hard. If I can do it, it's not hard. If you learn how to use it, it stops being hard. After that, it's just massively better. Your call. The above brief did not indicate that you were against learning new things. Seriously, give it a try. Canoes are superhuman upwind.

DRC

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Yep, way over thinking it. You've sailed 20 OD classes? And still can't find what you're looking for? Paralysis by analysis comes to mind…

You seem to have a shortlist of maybe 3 boats (MPS, Franken 29er, EvoVX). Create some criteria, give them scores, see which comes out on top. Likely you'll still just buy the one you want on a whim or the first that comes available within reach at the right price, or maybe has the best community nearby. :)
No, boredom.  All those classes are because I lived in an area with a lot of classes (not so much these days) and from jumping on boats traveling into my area, invited to new boats in other areas and doing it for a season or two.  It is rare that a OD class is not fun but most of the boats were not anything I would want to own and take out for fun because they didn't seem very fun.  OD soothes many of the shortcoming of some boats. Those that I have owned were a progression of learning to drive better, hit the 505 and decided I didn't like spending more time working on the boat than being on the water so back to the old OD's of the area.  Now I live somewhere where OD is not an option so there are no guardrails.

I'm going to take the advice of Steve and Dave and see if I can find somewhere to visit and try an IC.  The Musto I really, really wanted though I do like the idea of a singlehanded 29'er.  Their numbers are similar when the 29'er has just my weight in it and it can handle taking out the youngin' when he learns to swim more than sink.

Thanks everyone!  Feel free to slag me, my boat picks, other's boat picks, or each other.  Boat trash talk beats talking about politics.

mundt

Anarchist
=
Random thoughts from a lifelong multihull bum: 

Weta!  Would fulfill a lot of your desires.  Beachcat!  Would fulfill a lot of your desires.  Me, I'm pretty fascinated by the Evo.  If anybody here has experience with one I'd love to hear about it.  What I'm looking for is simple, light, reasonably fast and fun.  Up until now the various beachcats and the Weta did a great job for me.  The Rocket looks very attractive too, mostly due to its simplicity.  

Willy Clark

Boston, MA
No, boredom.  All those classes are because I lived in an area with a lot of classes (not so much these days) and from jumping on boats traveling into my area, invited to new boats in other areas and doing it for a season or two.  It is rare that a OD class is not fun but most of the boats were not anything I would want to own and take out for fun because they didn't seem very fun.  OD soothes many of the shortcoming of some boats. Those that I have owned were a progression of learning to drive better, hit the 505 and decided I didn't like spending more time working on the boat than being on the water so back to the old OD's of the area.  Now I live somewhere where OD is not an option so there are no guardrails.

I'm going to take the advice of Steve and Dave and see if I can find somewhere to visit and try an IC.  The Musto I really, really wanted though I do like the idea of a singlehanded 29'er.  Their numbers are similar when the 29'er has just my weight in it and it can handle taking out the youngin' when he learns to swim more than sink.

Thanks everyone!  Feel free to slag me, my boat picks, other's boat picks, or each other.  Boat trash talk beats talking about politics.
PM me if interested in a ride on an IC. I can hook you up.

I echo Dave. It's not actually that hard. The seat (and subsequently the IC) has a fearsome and, IMO, underserved reputation. No other class (apart from the skate) uses one, so it looks very different from anything most sailors have sailed. This throws them for a loop. However what makes the boat actually challenging is what makes it fast - it's a very skinny boat with a ton of sail area. The seat you just chuck to the other side when tacking/gybing and it minds its own business. And as soon as you have your butt on the seat with the mainsheet in your hand it becomes a truly wonderful experience.

PM me!

Best,
Willy

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Surprised none of you mericans have mentioned Melges 14, or indeed any singlehanded scows, would seem to tick the box for 'not as bad as a laser', just dead classes?  Always found the Melges (16/MC?) an intriguing thing, as an ex topper sailor, but never seen one in the flesh.

Foredeck Shuffle

Random thoughts from a lifelong multihull bum: 

Weta!  Would fulfill a lot of your desires.  Beachcat!  Would fulfill a lot of your desires.  Me, I'm pretty fascinated by the Evo.  If anybody here has experience with one I'd love to hear about it.  What I'm looking for is simple, light, reasonably fast and fun.  Up until now the various beachcats and the Weta did a great job for me.  The Rocket looks very attractive too, mostly due to its simplicity.  
I liked the Evo but I didn't get to try it in anything but light air.  Contact @Rodfavela and resurrect this thread for more info.

If I could multi I would.  No where to keep one where I live, the local club itself sounds like it is not multi friendly from what little anyone has mentioned of them.  Anyway there is no room for them and they are not a permitted boat due to space restrictions.  Some people do beach launch them but it's not really an ideal situation and my HOA would have fits if I tried storing one in my yard.

Over 15 yeas ago crewed on an Nacra 20 out of WRSC a few times and tried to race an A-Cat (pre-foil) that an owner let me borrow their boat once and both were serious rushes.  I was a dedicated 505 owner at the time and didn't consider switching.  It did convince me to take up an offer to do foredeck and drive a scooped and powered up Reynolds-33 later on, also just pure fun.  I guess I thought I would always be in the area and have time, I should have jumped.  Multis are the way, but not here.

Surprised none of you mericans have mentioned Melges 14, or indeed any singlehanded scows, would seem to tick the box for 'not as bad as a laser', just dead classes?  Always found the Melges (16/MC?) an intriguing thing, as an ex topper sailor, but never seen one in the flesh.
Mostly because they weigh 400 lbs and are usually kept on lifts, not very friendly to the dinghy park

Last edited by a moderator:

mundt

Anarchist
=
I spent way too much time on R33s, when handled properly they really spoil you.  When I bought my Weta the guy had it in his garage next to his wife's Mercedes.  I kept it assembled in the mast-up next to the ramp which made it very easy.  

Blaise

Hamilton, ON
If I could multi I would.  No where to keep one where I live, the local club itself sounds like it is not multi friendly from what little anyone has mentioned of them.  Anyway there is no room for them and they are not a permitted boat due to space restrictions.  Some people do beach launch them but it's not really an ideal situation and my HOA would have fits if I tried storing one in my yard.
A weta on its dolly takes about the same space as a laser since the amas come off in seconds. I can measure the footprint of mine of you want.

Foredeck Shuffle

A weta on its dolly takes about the same space as a laser since the amas come off in seconds. I can measure the footprint of mine of you want.
Thank you, that is kind.  I googled a bit and found this.  Yeah it would fit but I would prefer an A-Cat if going this direction.

LOA 4.4 m (14 ft)
Beam 3.5 m (11 ft) (rigged)
Beam 1.7 m (5.6 ft) (on trailer)

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Thank you, that is kind.  I googled a bit and found this.  Yeah it would fit but I would prefer an A-Cat if going this direction.

LOA 4.4 m (14 ft)
Beam 3.5 m (11 ft) (rigged)
Beam 1.7 m (5.6 ft) (on trailer)
A Cats are fun. I miss mine but everything is concrete and rock here so I was frequently repairing dings in the bow from slight misjudgements.

The other one would be to find a Swift Solo if you like the Musto. There are a lot of bigger Swift sailors and you get the self tacking jib and nice big spinnaker.

Foredeck Shuffle

I sailed the M14, very nice, more powerful than the Laser or Aero and so roomy, but not that much faster than putting larger sails on a Laser.

All of the scows are bailer drain boats and I'm done with that; only the M17 has a modern rig.  I would have short listed the M17 if not for the bailers.

Bored Stiff

Copenhagen
Honestly, having thought about this for so long, I don’t think you’ll be happy with whatever boat you get.  No boat can fulfil all the expectations I think you are putting on it.  

But your choice is simple.

If you want to trapeze get a Musto.  You are not too big, even if your conditions are predominantly light.  Richard Stenhouse was multiple world champion at 95kg.

If you want something a little easier, but by no means basic or geriatric, try an RS100.  

You need to be competent to sail the Musto.  

Foredeck Shuffle

Honestly, having thought about this for so long, I don’t think you’ll be happy with whatever boat you get.  No boat can fulfil all the expectations I think you are putting on it.  

But your choice is simple.

If you want to trapeze get a Musto.  You are not too big, even if your conditions are predominantly light.  Richard Stenhouse was multiple world champion at 95kg.

If you want something a little easier, but by no means basic or geriatric, try an RS100.  

You need to be competent to sail the Musto. 
I have days of brilliance...   ...but often I'm the butt of my own sailing criticism.

I had been thinking that I would move out of this area and back to a OD intense sailing venue so buying a one off boat was not where my head was and I was not quite ready to put down money.  Circumstances have changed and I may be here a lot longer than I initially thought so I'm going with something different.  While thinking about all this I've been busying sailing dinghies, sportboats, and keelboats.  Some of the restrictions are the venue and the predominant winds.  If there was consistent breeze here a foiler (WASZP or UFO) would already be on order.

Other restrictions are because I do not want to do what I've already done.  Now that the class of boat is no longer a consideration I'm focusing on faster designs that are well thought out and not half a century behind the curve.  This past fall I put Julian's C8 rig on a Laser and I had to forget everything I knew about Laser rigs and think different.  That's fun.  I had no skiff experience and the rig made me realize I really wanted to play with modern boats.

The reason to post here is to have my reasoning challenged, suffer unwarranted abuse, get called out, have my sailing abilities questioned, or told that I should give up sailing and just stay in my lane and join a putt-putt or duck-pin bowling league.  SA does not disappoint.  :D

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Your sub 7 knots problem is the real driver. Most boats are as boring as anything in those conditions. Of all the monohulls mentioned, only the Canoe is going to give you any thrills in those conditions. For me, it would be down to either the canoe, or find a way to make an A Class foiler work. The A will foil downwind in 6-7 knots and unless you are racing against a good classic A in light winds, the speed loss with a foiler will not be noticed.

mundt

Anarchist
=
Serious question:  can you offer a breakdown of the actual speeds of boats on your short list?  Seems like speed being your goal, which of those boats is actually fast in lighter air?  I'd be willing to bet an A cat would smoke any of em in under 15 kts, I'd bet on just about any beachcat for that matter but apparently you can't go that route.  In my experience the Weta is actually a lot slower than a beachcat but if the wind blows over 15 the Weta continues to romp effortlessly while the cat becomes problematic, especially singlehanded.  If I wasn't run over by several dump trucks I'm pretty sure I would learn some form of kite foiling which would probly solve several sailing/surfing related deficiencies very nicely.  Again, since you already crunched the numbers could you display some for the mathematically lazy?  Thanks!

CrazyR

Hi, Foredeck Shuffle! if you get A-cat, you can keep it at my place, its only two miles up the creek from the club. I wrestle same thoughts as you do. Should I get a Buccaneer and depend on wife's schedule to race the only sizable one design class in the area? Race what I have already? Get a Laser? 

Getting A-class is the only appealing thought.  I owned one 20 years ago... I still miss the boat.