Fastnet 2021

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Particularly impressive that the guys on Apivia have time while doublehanding at that pace to post on social media.  I'd have guessed they're working hard every moment they aren't sleeping.

Can the doublehanded boats use autopilot?  I took a quick glance through the NOR and SI and didn't see anything about it.
Some imoca’s have a media crew member on board but also the sailors don’t run the social media accounts…

2 handed boats have always been allowed to use pilots and rorc updated the rules last year to allow fully crewed boats to use them too

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Are Alex/Hugo Boss even relevant anymore.  I would have thought, given their time in the shed and long lay off after Vendee, that she would be making a better showing, but I must not be up on the latest.
Alex and the HB team have always been open about saying the boat was never designed with any fucks given towards non Vendee conditions. 

jimmyuk81

UK
Are Alex/Hugo Boss even relevant anymore.  I would have thought, given their time in the shed and long lay off after Vendee, that she would be making a better showing, but I must not be up on the latest.
There was a lot of talk in the most recent Vendee thread about how the latest HB was a pretty extreme design optimised for southern ocean reaching and downwind conditions. I don’t think any amount of shed time would turn the boat into a strong upwind performer…

That said, HB’s performance is being made to look very ordinary by Apivia in particular but also the whole IMOCA fleet tbh. I’d also expected them to be doing a bit better than they are, even if the conditions aren’t ideal for the boat.

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Reminds me of a rushhour traffic jam while the opposite lane is free.

fastnet.jpg

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Can someone knowledgeable mariner explain why the bulk of the fleet has been hugging the Cornish coast so closely? Does it have tide advantages? Or is the wind high enough that it's easier in there? 

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Can someone knowledgeable mariner explain why the bulk of the fleet has been hugging the Cornish coast so closely? Does it have tide advantages? Or is the wind high enough that it's easier in there? 
There are tide gates along the south coast, if you’re against the tide it can pay to hug the coast line to escape it whilst having positive tide means you want to pick up the strongest current nearer by. A lot of the time there are wind shifts that can be played to good advantage as well. 

jimmyuk81

UK
The evidence suggests it's not very quick in Vendee conditions either. Think Thompson needs a rethink. 
I dunno about that, before HB had the damage Alex was solidly in the top 3 sailing at comparable pace to Apivia & LinkedOut. And if the boat performed as it was meant to in the southern ocean, he could well have taken a lead - but of course that’s total speculation  ;)

Anyway getting a bit off topic for the Fastnet thread - I see Gitana will finish in the next few minutes!! Damn that thing is quick. 

Laser1

Super Anarchist
Westcountry
And the old Sodebo is blowing past the new Sodebo.  Imagine the conversation on board that one  :lol:    Actual is old Sodebo IIRC.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
And done in 1d 9h 14m 58s accoding to the tracker.
Aptivia and Skorpius are the only monohull that made the turn at this time.

Latest posts