Fastnet 2021

staysail

Super Anarchist
Awful official tracker. Arkea vanished at 6 o'clock last night and so presumably the leaderboard for line hons and Imoca is wrong and no action to fix it?

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Stick to the Americas Cup did you say.! That is absurd. The Americas Cup is for the elite of the elite class requiring billions. They are free to do what they want and thats why we have line honors and handicap. It works as it is, really unless you mean you don't like the bigger boats getting all the attention? 
Of course they are free to do what they want. All I said was that there was too much focus on them. 

There will always be drooling over new boats.! There's drooling over pretty girls too.! Come-on you can do better than that surely.!  :D
Yes, I have no problem with that (though I don't think Skorpios is an especially attractive boat). But there are new boats in the smaller classes too

TPG

Super Anarchist
I disagree. Apivia was foiling when they kept pace with Skorpios. There is nothing that would keep up with Apivia in foiling conditions in an ocean race. As soon as Apivia couldn't foil she got blown away by Skorpios. She finished over 8 hours later. Horses for courses, Apivia is a F1 single handed foiling machine, Skorpios is a big boat just like Comanche or Wild Oats etc. 
Is that going to be the excuse going forward? BuT iTs FoiLiNg! 

If that's what lets you sleep at night.

Let's all breath a sigh of relief for the crew of Skorpios that the wind died. It could have been polonium cocktails for everyone if it hadn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Oh, I don't know about that. Skorpios is currently projected at 29th Overall (was 18th a few hours ago) and likely to sink further as we get more finishers
Handicap honours between the smaller classes and something like Skorpios is entirely about who gets the better wind (and tide)

Yeah - and unlike some of the critics on this thread has actually done some serious offshore sailing 
If that was aimed at me I can assure you I have done some serious offshore sailing. I have it is true retired from serious competition now but I have done the Fastnet and longer

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Oh, I don't know about that. Skorpios is currently projected at 29th Overall (was 18th a few hours ago) and likely to sink further as we get more finishers
The tracker shows Skorpios as still sailing and was Rambler even though they had finished suspect it's tracking them on their way home and still recording time perhaps.? 

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
I have followed the race, this year, more than I ever did in the recent years.

My attention was first attracted by the "bold move" of the big tris and Imocas down to the Channel Islands: Could modern boats high speeds re-shuffle the long established approach to Channel tide traps ? (Shd Skorpios and Rambler have taken the same approach ??)

Speeds: interesting to see 40 footers and JPKs holding or overspeeding the monsters of "most commentators" days like Stormvogel, pen Duick and Swan 65s over more than 600 miles in big boat weather.

The other point of interest was watching the boats handling the final and eastern TSS (direct line or detour) . I saw "Argo" and the last and slow Ultim gain in taking the risk (the "slow Ultim" made back most if not all of their deficit on "Skorpios") when one could watch the very slow finish of both "Gitana" and "Sodebo".

Interesting ! As expected the Channel Isles and La Hague tide traps make this new course a new challenge.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Hugo Boss 2nd last of the Imocas.! That's a kick in the arse for the boat and the team if they care? And please someone don't say but it's a downwind boat only.! LOL 

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Handicap honours between the smaller classes and something like Skorpios is entirely about who gets the better wind (and tide)

If that was aimed at me I can assure you I have done some serious offshore sailing. I have it is true retired from serious competition now but I have done the Fastnet and longer
enigmatically2, not aimed at anyone in particular and I am sure you recognise them as well.

But isn't all racing about who gets the better wind & tide? ;-) Just teasing, no malice intended.

For myself, 38kts of breeze in a quarter tonner while at the other end of the scale watching islands 1/2 mile distant disappearing in the fog and having to negotiate the pass using depth contours are a couple of adrenaline producing moments while '79 Fastnet proved to be a lucky escape for me (missed it through work pressures and remember well cursing not being able to be there)

Apologies if you thought I was having a pop at you, certainly NOT intended

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
The tracker shows Skorpios as still sailing and was Rambler even though they had finished suspect it's tracking them on their way home and still recording time perhaps.? 
Correct, Skorpios and Rambler both heading across the channel, if their trackers are still on they WILL show on the tracker player but highlight either boat with your mouse and it will show in the details that they have finished. 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Correct, Skorpios and Rambler both heading across the channel, if their trackers are still on they WILL show on the tracker player but highlight either boat with your mouse and it will show in the details that they have finished. 
Yes I know they are finished but the tracker is still trying to track them but not working in showing their position so I was wondering if this was effecting their handicap position. This has occured with many trackers so thats what I was referring to

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Is that going to be the excuse going forward? BuT iTs FoiLiNg! 

If that's what lets you sleep at night.

Let's all breath a sigh of relief for the crew of Skorpios that the wind died. It could have been polonium cocktails for everyone if it hadn't.
Really? Skorpios wasn't built to beat an Imoca when foiling. So what's the point? No sigh of relief needed it finished over 8 hour ahead of Apivia when the conditions averaged out or the angles changed.  You make no point. It seems a lot of people don't like bigger boats and that's your choice but don't make stupid comparisons please, boring! 

TPG

Super Anarchist
Really? Skorpios wasn't built to beat an Imoca when foiling. So what's the point? No sigh of relief needed it finished over 8 hour ahead of Apivia when the conditions averaged out or the angles changed.  You make no point. It seems a lot of people don't like bigger boats and that's your choice but don't make stupid comparisons please, boring! 
Oh no no no, it was supposed to be the fastest ever! Didn't you read? Swan decreed it to the world! 

Nobody hates bigger boats, you're just mad your bubby got slapped on the hike up the hill.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
I enjoy seeing boats like Rambler and Scorpios competing. Owners may be mega rich and are probably having fun but for me they are not very relevant in high end professional sailing/racing. Imoca 60 is where its at where the best real sailors actually want to be, and Figaro is where you prove you can sail. Those two classes are what I see as the real ocean racers.
I agree with all of this and would only add that for me the real interest in the big boats like Skorpios and Rambler (apart from looking fucking cool at full-noise) are the technological developments each one of these new projects brings. These 'budgetless' campaigns help keep a lot of the industries top minds occupied and employed and in turn help create a lot of trickle-down developments, potentially more than AC and IMOCAs when considering it for the majority of competitive monohull sailors because the foiling boats have such different characteristics. 

Is Skorpios totally ridiculous and likely to be out-dated in a year or two? Yes. 

Is it cool to look at and packed full of a whole heap of cool new tech? Yes

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Oh no no no, it was supposed to be the fastest ever! Didn't you read? Swan decreed it to the world! 

Nobody hates bigger boats, you're just mad your bubby got slapped on the hike up the hill.
Is that what's it going to be from now on, the Wind died off or the angle changed? Your just angry because the fastest foiling ocean race boat got slapped by 8 hours by a bigger boat.!  :D :p

Last edited by a moderator:

corkob

Anarchist
As Rambler hasn’t retired after finishing it looks like either the race committee or a competitor will have to protest her. It will be up to Rambler to bring evidence prove she avoided the TSS / exclusion zone and left it to port. Effectively this would mean she will have to show her GPS track from her plotter. I am familiar with a recent protest on this very point where some boats entered a TSS contrary to the rules. They allowed an error margin of 1.2 miles on the YB tracker. After that it was up to the skipper to show a GPS track to say he hadn’t gone into the TSS. Same would apply to this exclusion Zone. In the case I am familiar with a 20% time penalty was imposed on all offending boats. However in that race the TSS was not a mark of the course unlike this race.