Fastnet 2021

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Afrayed,

Have you ever done that job?

In large teams, it can get incredibly messy, with many many competing 'demands' from the seemingly infinite number of stakeholders.

Two handed would be easier!

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Everyone is talking about the semantics of retiring or DNF or disqualified. I cannot fathom how this would happen at this level. There’s like 5 marks of the course, the TSS being one of those. Again. I don’t want to get into semantics of what’s an obstruction or a mark. I really cannot believe what I was witnessing when they rounded the rock. Surely they will follow the course correctly I thought... Simply unforgivable...
It does beg the question given she's won the race twice.! Having said that perhaps different personnel onboard, different navigator who knows? I'm tipping they planned what they were going to do long before they got to the Rock and then simply executed their plan? Not all lost though other than their pride as their results weren't what they were aiming for. Would have been tragic if they were winning handicap or LH IMO...George is a lovely guy huge heart has looked after the sailors who have been part of his team so I have full admiration for the Rambler gang. Sometimes shit happens..! 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Afrayed,

In large teams, it can get incredibly messy, with many many competing 'demands' from the seemingly infinite number of stakeholders.

Yeah really good point. Spare a thought for the Chris Nicholson team during the Volvo race when they hit the shoals at around 20 knots.! Now that was catastrophic and it was later deemed partly due to a rushed departure for that leg and not being zoomed in on the chart plotter. Proper preparation and studying charts and course prior to departure is always prudent. Messy as you say is often the result of many things....

Afrayedknot

Annapolis
Afrayed,

I have not done that job per say but I have been a part of programs that large and at that level.

Lakrass

The other point of interest was watching the boats handling the final and eastern TSS (direct line or detour) . I saw "Argo" and the last and slow Ultim gain in taking the risk (the "slow Ultim" made back most if not all of their deficit on "Skorpios") when one could watch the very slow finish of both "Gitana" and "Sodebo".
We might see different approach in route making in the future simply as boat are exceeding the speed of the wind which make some adverse current favorable to them. If you look at AC or SGP boats, they are often seeking to go against the tide to maximize VMG (as it increases the apparent wind and their speed by more than the current offsetting the disadvantage). This definitely applies to the Ultim.

wildbirdtoo

UK
Is anyone able to access the current position on the tracker this morning?   Mine is not working properly (both browser and phone version) and shows yesterdays positions for some boats (others current).

Last edited by a moderator:

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
We might see different approach in route making in the future simply as boat are exceeding the speed of the wind which make some adverse current favorable to them. If you look at AC or SGP boats, they are often seeking to go against the tide to maximize VMG (as it increases the apparent wind and their speed by more than the current offsetting the disadvantage). This definitely applies to the Ultim.
;) exactly what I suggested.

Incidentally, the sensitivity to wind angles also showed in the battle between Sodebo and Actual. One tack perpendicular to the direct route for Sodebo, shortly after Fastnet, resulted in a significant advantage  by the Scillies where Actual regained as much by a different routing between TSS.

IMHO: so different beasts that hv nothing to do in what shd be a pure IRC race.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Just checked again, and cannot find anything on the Rambler fuck up yet, other than the ramblings in this thread.

This thing is not going away, certainly not on SA, until some people take the blame, one way or another. 

Here they are in much happier times, after winning line honours last time. It seems most of them were back this time:

yysw259896.jpg

Photo Carlo Borlenghi, I believe.

Q: Who was the bowman who told them so?

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Just checked again, and cannot find anything on the Rambler fuck up yet, other than the ramblings in this thread.

This thing is not going away, certainly not on SA, until some people take the blame, one way or another. 

Here they are in much happier times, after winning line honours last time. It seems most of them were back this time:

View attachment 457056

Photo Carlo Borlenghi, I believe.

Q: Who was the bowman who told them so?
Fiji of all people..! Scroll up to my pic above it's a screen capture of Rambler via the Fastnet Tracker showing "RET" Retired.! 

2021-08-12.png.b4e07381ba32e2efdbf11981ab730bb3.png

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
GBH said:
Jules Salter, 4th from R in the pic above...think he'll be in hiding for a day or two:)
Jules has a great reputation.! I don't know his Fastnet record but the guy has been everywhere.! Honest Mistake.? Did BB make the call.? Strange.?  :(

kawalski

Anarchist
Ireland
No sure if this has already been asked, why can some of the TSS zones be rounded either side, as seen at lands end. but the fastnet has to be rounded to port?

savoir

Super Anarchist
The basic idea is to avoid head on collisions at night.  Getting the choice to round a mark either way is super rare.

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Jules has a great reputation.! I don't know his Fastnet record but the guy has been everywhere.! Honest Mistake.? Did BB make the call.? Strange.?  :(
Yeah.

Worse things have happened (I'm looking at you, Wouter. :)

I hate this 'heads must roll' mentality that has become the norm, esp. in sports.

And let's not forget: This way, Rambler was not 'defeated'. :)

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
No sure if this has already been asked, why can some of the TSS zones be rounded either side, as seen at lands end. but the fastnet has to be rounded to port?
The Fastnet TSS is listed twice as a mark of the course (to be left to port both times), the others are not.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.14.28.png

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
BTW:

Fantastic performance by Störtebeker, the HVS boat from Hamburg.

2nd place in iRC 0 for what is a new boat for the club.

It's a youth campaign, skippered by Katrina Westphal.

She is an architectural student from Hamburg and only 25 years of age!

DSC03028.jpeg

Fantastic job, immensely proud of you lot!

Here they are, I captured them a week before the start as they made a stopover in Cuxhaven:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Afrayed,

Not sure about that last sentence. Having navigated on a full crewed boat and then double handed (when also the skipper) I think the double handed was much harder. Less time, more tired and stressed, less opportunity to bounce ideas off anyone else. Also when on the fiddly bits you can't just navigate but are also involved in sail handling etc.

Not sure how good some of my decision making was in reality (though definitely  good enough in outcome for the race, some of the decisions did in retrospect have a fairly high risk factor!)

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
The slightly slow to update tracker is making it difficult to follow the last battle between Henry and Shirley on the SF3300 Swell and the JPK 1030 Leon! I’m gunning for Swell to take it after the hard work they’ve put into their campaign.

wildbirdtoo

UK
The slightly slow to update tracker is making it difficult to follow the last battle between Henry and Shirley on the SF3300 Swell and the JPK 1030 Leon! I’m gunning for Swell to take it after the hard work they’ve put into their campaign.
Its frustrating! That's the race I'm following too. They don't seem to update at the same time... I hope the speeds shown are representative.. quite a battle .. fingers crossed for Swell