Fastnet 2021

Potter

Super Anarchist
Its frustrating! That's the race I'm following too. They don't seem to update at the same time... I hope the speeds shown are representative.. quite a battle .. fingers crossed for Swell
Henry made some serious decisions about the setup of the 3300 based almost entirely on aiming at the Fastnet.  Water ballast, Spi Pole, and others, have counted against him earlier in the season, but they have always been clear that the Fastnet was their aim.

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
The slightly slow to update tracker is making it difficult to follow the last battle between Henry and Shirley on the SF3300 Swell and the JPK 1030 Leon! I’m gunning for Swell to take it after the hard work they’ve put into their campaign.
Which of these two will have the edge on the last downwind miles ahead of them?  Swell seems to have a knot more at the moment but what will happen as it lightens up the closer they get?

wildbirdtoo

UK
Which of these two will have the edge on the last downwind miles ahead of them?  Swell seems to have a knot more at the moment but what will happen as it lightens up the closer they get?
.. Difficult- Wind forecast to veer to west and strengthen slightly over the next 6 hours, and then back. As for tides.. guess they are both in  similar seas.   Fingers crossed-  Swell may take line honours for IRC3, but to beat Leon on handicap  I think Swell need to finish about an hour ahead ... it will be interesting, to say the least. 

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
Hugo Boss gets clobbered AGAIN.  10th in division.  How embarrassment !
How did you do in any IMOCA race EVER?    Fucking chair jockey says what?   Do you have the longest sponsorship relationship in shorthanded racing, ever?     Please post your race history and results so we can compare.

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I think Swell will maintain their lead but when it lightens up near the finish I think it will be anyone’s guess. My gut says Leon will take it at the end but I really hope Swell hold on! Henry is a master of system sailing but hoping paired with Shirley they can figure out the last few miles

It's not over till the fat lady sings and I may be am biaised, but if anyone can pull a trick in the area it's Alexis Loison on Léon. Not only is he from Cherbourg and this is his backyard,  he also is a Figaro sailor who escaped the fleet in the Alderney race and won by a huge margin.

Edit, looks to me they will go through it again, give a massive advantage to local knowledge (Leon & Raging Bee)

Last edited by a moderator:

wildbirdtoo

UK
I'm giving up with the official tracker.   Marine tracker has them and shows their current positions. . Looks like  Raging Bee has quite a chance for an IRC win. Very close to Leon, and has a smaller handicap.  Swell is cracking along, currently around a knot faster. I guess quite a chance for line honours,  but I'm guessing isn't far enough ahead to win on handicap.

Quagers

UK
 Guess it's a good thing we didn't finish in Plymouth after all  :ph34r:

Screenshot_20210812-205051_Twitter.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/significant-ambulance-response-deployed-to-incident-in-plymouth-12379946

Last edited by a moderator:

Soton_Speed

UK
I'm giving up with the official tracker.   Marine tracker has them and shows their current positions. . Looks like  Raging Bee has quite a chance for an IRC win. Very close to Leon, and has a smaller handicap.  Swell is cracking along, currently around a knot faster. I guess quite a chance for line honours,  but I'm guessing isn't far enough ahead to win on handicap.
Raging Bee has split and is heading for the Swinge, others heading for the main race.

The tidal gate closes at 0200BST.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
The tidal gate closes at 0200BST.
The current at St Peter Port is starting to come off maximum flood now. The fleet has less than 3 hours to set themselves up for the ebb if they can’t make the corner. I reckon those east of Guernsey and south of Alderney  would be best off  getting to the west Normandy coast, those north of Alderney need to get offshore as much as the TSS will allow.

Go Shirley…..

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Charlie talking about how Apivia was able to foil upwind due to the conditions, something he says they can't normally do.! After that they got to favourible conditions that some of the other boats didn't get. 

wildbirdtoo

UK
Looks like Swell took line honours for IRC3, but not far enough ahead to win on handicap.  

Leon wins...  Good try Henry and Shirley!

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Cora have made good gains to climb back to 6th after they got hurt pretty badly in the park up at the scilly isles and dropped to somewhere around 14th place in the 2H class. Some boats that went south seem to lose out on the gybe back towards the rhum line. 

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Good day or two out for JPK..

1. First in irc2 and overall

2. First in 2H and irc3, including 4 of top 5 in that Div.

3. Leon, the JPK 10.3, (sailed 2 handed) was the best small boat, correcting out 12th overall...

It looked like the 2H quality at the front end of irc3 was right up there, the UK team on Swell (kinda works team Sunfast 3300) got second.

Amazing... hope the French can get their ambitions towards Hobart again.

No issues with the CYC, is there?

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Good day or two out for JPK..

1. First in irc2 and overall

2. First in 2H and irc3, including 4 of top 5 in that Div.

3. Leon, the JPK 10.3, (sailed 2 handed) was the best small boat, correcting out 12th overall...

It looked like the 2H quality at the front end of irc3 was right up there, the UK team on Swell (kinda works team Sunfast 3300) got second.

Amazing... hope the French can get their ambitions towards Hobart again.

No issues with the CYC, is there?
Yes, very interesting.

I think there are two factors playing a role:

1. JPKs perform well under offshore IRC and have been optimized for what is agreed to be a factor here (no bulb, short DWL, rather low SA/D).

2. I suspect a regional factor (Brittany-based) as well as a 'patriot-factor' (many French sailors opting for these boats) which in the end leads to a 'self-fulfilling prophecy' where everyone accepts that JPKs are THE design to have for a succesful IRC overall campaign. 

Some things I noted designwise:

The first 'modern' X-Yacht is waaaay down on time, an XP 44, even behind Refanut. I think that is brand-damaging in the long-term and X should prepare a campaign for the next edition to bolster their 'sporty' image, otherwise they end up competing entirely in the luxury market. I'm very impressed with how good the old X332 performed, though.

I also think that it wouldn't have been a good journey for a Dehler 30 OD. I doubt that they would have had fun in the first 48 hours. J/99s did quite well, though.

Not as good as the 3200, however, which on average are at least on par with the newer 3300, maybe even outperforming them on time.

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Matagi,

The build quality from JPK must be right up, surely?

X Yachts, as you observe, need to focus harder to achieve dual market acceptance.

From the regular sources, appeared that the spread of conditions was wide enough to be the real test. Though maybe no real uprange running?

Latest posts