Fastnet 2021

Like I say, thats just what the rumour mill says, I've not sailed on one personally, so if you have then your experience has more weight. As this is the internet and not pub banter I'll now STFU :)  
Meh, the internet is probably worse than pub banter and if everything was fact checked and absolutely true this place would have tumbleweeds blowing through each room and be a ghost town.  The banter makes things interesting!

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I absolutely agree, external factors play an enormous role here.

On the other hand, we should note two things:

1. the consistency with which some teams / owners turn out good results: Sun Hill is a very well managed amateur crew, Léon is very professional as well. I think local knowledge as in these two examples plays out and was even more important this year with the Cherbourg finish.

2. A good design gives you more options to be where you want to be. Esp. given the TSS (note how many finishers got penalties), pointing ability in this race can be decisive. If you've got a good boat, you can manage the tidals gates far better, with a slow boat, you're always struggling to make it.
Oh absolutely, but those 2 factors apply more within a class (by which I mean start group ie boats of similar size and speed) far more than overall. 

It is possible to sail a near perfect race, win your class by hours, but be well down the overall honours because the win dropped off after the big boats finished, or it was light winds at critical gate or something . 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
My favourite use of the boat stereo was to record a very bad shipping forecast and the one day in France after racing over and before the cruise back we played it so lots of people heard it.

Storm force 10 cyclonic was in there somewhere iirc.

Got a few people nervous

mrming

7 hours ago, Matagi said:

Some fun with numbers:

So overall, the most succesful 'class' / design in this Fastnet were the SF 3200, with an average place of 43. They are also one of the most consitent fleets, with a standard deviation of 15, so the odds of achieving a Top 1/3rd place with a SF 3200 are very good. 

Very interesting to see the consistency of each Sun Fast group (but samples size is too small to really gauge sth. from there).

The JPK designs (all) -as mentioned- show far more deviation, the 1180 ranges from 1st place to 133rd, which is almost last of the finishers. Average place 'only' 48th.

X-Yachts (only very few) show an average place of 76,6, which is not really ok for performance boats, showing in my view a) their age and b) that they are not really good IRC boats. But it's a small sample.

First 40 and  40.7: consistently poor, average 95, first came 72nd, and a large chunk of them is down there, so we see a small deviation (relatively large sample).

Fun Fact: A First Class 10 placed 18th in 4days 21hrs, beating the first 40.7 by an hour ON SAILED TIME! Even a Dehler 33 cruising beat the first 40.7 by 12 minutes on sailed time.

Volvos astonishingly poor, no pick for a win here, seems like a sandwich position to me: too large for a chance in corrected time, too small for a shot at the line honours.

View attachment 457292

So, in hindsight:

If I had to chose a design to have a good shot at a Rolex (on a budget), I think I'd pick the Dehler 33 cruising and try to survive it in the 2H division, because:

Winning time in 2H for Leon corrected: 4:18:46

Dehler 33 in IRC 4 corrected: 4:18:06 - DING

Here is a nice video from Sun Hill 3, the Dehler 33 in question:

The “Cruising” in Dehler 33 Cruising is a bit of a misnomer. I think the proper title is Dehler 33 CR, and it’s a tall rig version of the boat. SA/D just under 24 and a long waterline for it’s LOA. Easily driven J/V hull and powerful sail plan makes them a bit of a IRC secret weapon. There are not many around but there’s one in the Solent called Ruthless which is also very competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Afrayedknot

Annapolis
which one? because thats just about the pinnacle of ocean racing. i'm impressed that you have, takes skill and years to get there.
Thanks. I appreciate your candor. As I said a few programs and it took a bit of work but I’m not here to have a dick wagging contest. You can PM me for my CV but I doubt I’ll share it. 

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Spare a thought for the poor buggers on Sundance, the Fastnet back marker. 300Nm still to go to Cherbourg with a rather large and angry looking weather system bearing down on them in the Western Approaches

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Spare a thought for the poor buggers on Sundance, the Fastnet back marker. 300Nm still to go to Cherbourg with a rather large and angry looking weather system bearing down on them in the Western Approaches
I will pour one out, wonder if they'll stop or head home like so many people have.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I think they might need at least a short rest and a shower after a week on a 36 footer
Well from instagram a 32 footer (Cora) went straight home last night, it depends on their covid status, if they're not all double vaccinated, or don't fancy having to do a  day 2 covid test on return they may well head straight home to avoid that issue

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Well from instagram a 32 footer (Cora) went straight home last night, it depends on their covid status, if they're not all double vaccinated, or don't fancy having to do a  day 2 covid test on return they may well head straight home to avoid that issue
Good Point.

We have just had a ramping up of precautions here in China with some cities mandating mask wearing outdoors and it isn't anything like as rampant here as some other countries, just a few hundred nationwide in a country this big. 

I suppose though, taking precautions is sensible. Personally I am just waiting my second jag. The way I look at it is any effects of the vaccine cannot be anywhere as bad as catching the full blown COVID itself and although it doesn't give complete immunity, all reposrts say it least 'takes the edge off'.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Good Point.

We have just had a ramping up of precautions here in China with some cities mandating mask wearing outdoors and it isn't anything like as rampant here as some other countries, just a few hundred nationwide in a country this big. 

I suppose though, taking precautions is sensible. Personally I am just waiting my second jag. The way I look at it is any effects of the vaccine cannot be anywhere as bad as catching the full blown COVID itself and although it doesn't give complete immunity, all reposrts say it least 'takes the edge off'.

Plus these Double Handed guys are a tough lot. Seems she placed 6th in the two handed fleet, good going.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Good Point.

To enter France from the UK without quarantine requires each crew to be double vaxed, otherwise they can stop but have to isolate (which might well be a nice rest) on the boat although I'm sure someone could be arranged to bring them "supplies", but until the friday before the race entering France meant a 10 day quarantine on return, luckily they dropped that from 4am on the day of the race start, instead just requiring a mandatory 2 day pcr test which ranges from £20 per person to £140 per person dependant on who you book it through

jonas a

Super Anarchist
On 8/13/2021 at 4:39 AM, terrafirma said:

Charlie talking about how Apivia was able to foil upwind due to the conditions, something he says they can't normally do.! After that they got to favourible conditions that some of the other boats didn't get. 

Yes, that was interesting. Flat water strong wind and a little help from the tide.