Fastnet 2021

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Come on, you have to acknowledge their perseverance. 

Many contenders had long given up by then (which is ok, seasickness gets to the best of us), so good on them for finishing that job. Hope the next hours don't get too bumpy.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Come on, you have to acknowledge their perseverance. 

Many contenders had long given up by then (which is ok, seasickness gets to the best of us), so good on them for finishing that job. Hope the next hours don't get too bumpy.
I agree. For any long race, never knock the tail-enders. Someone has to be last, but they stick with it. 

Criticise those who quit for no good reason if you want, or even those who never tried, but never people who finish what is a fairly tough race.  

Better to raise a glass to them

SSolo

England
Out of curiosity - 

How many of the top finishing boats this year were skippered by their owners? It seems youth carried the days.
I'm pretty certain us lot of "old duffers" on Pegasus were first boat home with owners and an amateur crew sailing & who also do all the  majority of the boat work. 

SSolo

England
some thoughts
on race start ;
we (Pegasus of Northumberland -Open50) and a number of other owners requested a change in start time for Class Z as we felt to start at the back. in big winds, having to race through 400 smaller/slower craft would lead to an accident(s).  It was obviously a last minute decision as Tim T doing the briefing only found out part way through!!

a question : why it is thought OK to start  big boats at the back (other then looking nice for the photographers) of a large fleet??

the course;
we believe we made a number of good tactical calls (going south of the Sillies TSS on way into Celtic sea and crossing Alderney race.  It definitely evened up the lengths of the upwind/downwind legs... we lost out to the scow bow Class40s as they went past us 2-3knots faster on the close reach up the channel. So a Plymouth finish would have suited us better - but that is the course and we sail as best as we can, and we will work on those pesky scow bow Class40s next year
It is  longer course and much longer at sea for Class 3 and 4, but overall we felt the longer course was an improvement

the finish;
the big controversy - and yes as expected (i have raced RdR and TJV so knew what to expect) Cherbourg knocked Plymouth into a cocked hat. They really did the race and sailors proud with an excellent atmosphere, ; we were applauded as we entered the marina at midnight by a group of 30+ locals. Lots of locals in and around the race village and all incredibly welcoming
- well done RORC for having the b*** to make the change

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Good Point.

We have just had a ramping up of precautions here in China with some cities mandating mask wearing outdoors and it isn't anything like as rampant hereEded as some other countries, just a few hundred nationwide in a country this big. 

I suppose though, taking precautions is sensible. Personally I am just waiting my second jag. The way I look at it is any effects of the vaccine cannot be anywhere as bad as catching the full blown COVID itself and although it doesn't give complete immunity, all reposrts say it least 'takes the edge off'.
A neighboring family of five recently had Covid-19 in the house. The dad, double vaccinated, lost taste and smell and was more tired than usual, all for a week or so. One teenager had a slight cough for a day or two. Another teenager had a temperature for four hours and the third teenager had no symptoms. The mother didn’t catch it. Weird.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
a question : why it is thought OK to start  big boats at the back (other then looking nice for the photographers) of a large fleet?
I've never really understood why this is so common. It only compresses the finishing window marginally. Maybe it gives you more tidal options, as boats like me at the back of IRC4 (0.990) need 2-3 hours' favourable tide to clear Hurst if it's not that windy?

KoN

Jules has a great reputation.! I don't know his Fastnet record but the guy has been everywhere.! Honest Mistake.? Did BB make the call.? Strange.?  :(
Jules Salter was definitely NOT on R88 this year!!

I was having a cup of tea at home watching the start. Still I guess facts don't matter these days before people comment.

Still, hats off to anyone who took the race on, it was pretty sporty just leaving the Solent!

IMG_7240.jpg

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I've never really understood why this is so common. It only compresses the finishing window marginally. Maybe it gives you more tidal options, as boats like me at the back of IRC4 (0.990) need 2-3 hours' favourable tide to clear Hurst if it's not that windy?
It can help equalise the impact of the first gate at least. Though I suspect it is more for entertainment value. 

Personally I have never had an issue with much bigger or small monohulls in the Fastnet or similar. Ability levels are high enough that it is all predictable.

I have had many more problems with non-racing boats - for example I can clearly remember a cruiser coming through the Fastnet start line on port gybe - he would have crossed the line about 30s after we crossed it going the other way on stbd, close in to Cowes Green trying to catch the tide in a fair prize. He made absolutely no attempt to avoid anyone. Still not sure how we all missed. 

Also had problems with lots of boats on the round the island (Isle of Wight) race, but that was nothing to do with size or speed, just the lack of ability of some of the entry list

Only real scare I had with a much faster boat was at the start of the double handed round Britain with the 60ft multis trying to overtake us in a 30ft mono on the triangle within the Sound. But then they started at the same time us as. And even then it was more a fear of the potential than the actual- they look quit scary from right in front when they get a gust and start to lift a hull!

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Personally I have never had an issue with much bigger or small monohulls in the Fastnet or similar. Ability levels are high enough that it is all predictable.
The collision risk is manageable but defending against shitty air for the first two hours is a bit boring, particularly in light airs downwind starts! It's OK for us with an asym but for a small symmetric boat running deep in the tide...

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
The collision risk is manageable but defending against shitty air for the first two hours is a bit boring, particularly in light airs downwind starts! It's OK for us with an asym but for a small symmetric boat running deep in the tide...
True.

Though on a cross-channel offshore (can't remember which one) I do remember we got a 3/4 tonner surfing on the quarter-wave of a bigger boat and stayed there. At first he laughed, then as we stayed there a couple of minutes he got annoyed and tried to luff until we fell off. But we managed to hang on to the 3rd wave back for ages after he realised how much it was costing him to luff(helped by us shouting advice on the matter).

So it can work the other way too

Lakrass

4 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Good one and the start renders pretty well, shows how stressful it might be for double handed IMOCA in a big fleet environment and lack of maneuverability. 

Good job from the mediaman.

With portable speakers you can do even better.

One friend who was sailing on another boat left his portable speaker to our boat. As soon as they got inside working range of speaker he started blasting all kinds of bad songs trough it.
You're friend is an evil genius and I love it!  So many things could be done with this technique.  Boy bands at full blast, death metal, Right Said Fred "I'm too sexy" or maybe just a prerecorded voice yelling "Starboard! Starboard! Starboard!" or a simple recording of 5 horns from a container ship played at just the right moment.   :D  

AnIdiot

Second Drawer
You're friend is an evil genius and I love it!  So many things could be done with this technique.  Boy bands at full blast, death metal, Right Said Fred "I'm too sexy" or maybe just a prerecorded voice yelling "Starboard! Starboard! Starboard!" or a simple recording of 5 horns from a container ship played at just the right moment.   :D  
A recording of a labouring bilge pump.

Intermittently. 

Latest posts