Fastnet 2021

aussieinlondon

london
i thought the point of changing the finish to make it a more party atmosphere aka hobart ? 

it will be interesting to see if the majority of the fleet in a normal year cross the line and head back to uk or moor up 

logisitcs are easier than returning from hobart 

Potter

Super Anarchist
i thought the point of changing the finish to make it a more party atmosphere aka hobart ? 

it will be interesting to see if the majority of the fleet in a normal year cross the line and head back to uk or moor up 

logisitcs are easier than returning from hobart 
I think you are right, I am merely talking from a personal perspective.  I have never had a good finish experience in Plymouth out of the 5 or 6 Fastnets that I have done.

Of course, there used to be boats that would then stay in Plymouth post Fastnet and do Dartmouth or other Westcountry regattas, hopefully they won't be adversely affected.

First night weather is looking quite punchy at the moment, but changing rapidly.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Of course, there used to be boats that would then stay in Plymouth post Fastnet and do Dartmouth or other Westcountry regattas, hopefully they won't be adversely affected.
I was worried about this, but numbers for Dartmouth are roughly the same as 2017/19. Good turnout in smaller boats that might not be doing the Fastnet anyway, only one boat rating over 1.100

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Not only the boat wash causing a lumpy gnarly sea state but the wind against tide effect will make for sharp steep waves in that area. 
Did loads of Round the Island and RORC offshore races, including 4 Fastnets, during my time in the UK. The Needles channel, especially near the Shingles bank is not a nice place to be at any time in a 20+knot westerly against tide. Lots of boat wash makes it worse. One Fastnet, we had a maxi  roll over us there in those kind of conditions. Boat went from 20 degrees leeward heel to 20 degrees windward heel and then back again all in a flash. And it was very wet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Do we know if there will be live coverage of the start?

I hope Skorpios has done a lot of shakedown work.  I'd love to see a great race for LH between them and R88, mixed in with the tier 2 multis, followed by intrigue about corrected time results for those who can get in before the wind goes too light...  But...  I have a gut feel that Skorpios will incur some kind of malfunction.  Too new for high confidence of finishing in breezy conditions.

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Did loads of Round the Island and RORC offshore races, including 4 Fastnets, during my time in the UK. The Needles channel, especially near the Shingles bank is not a nice place to be at any time in a 20+knot westerly against tide. Lots of boat wash makes it worse. One Fastnet, we had a maxi  roll over us there in those kind of conditions. Boat went from 20 degrees leeward heel to 20 degrees windward heel and then back again all in a flash. And it was very wet!
The photo in my avatar is of a yacht over the Shingles Bank at the start of the 89 or 91 Fastnet. Looks gnarly.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
The photo in my avatar is of a yacht over the Shingles Bank at the start of the 89 or 91 Fastnet. Looks gnarly.
Thanks for pointing that out, clicking twice on it brings out a great picture indeed.

Portland Bill has probably the most exiting race of all. May tell you about a totally crazy non-rounding in a light westerly at night, sometime later. For now this video will do I hope:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
watch out for us on Pegasus (open50 )raising awareness of Parkinson's disease
A worthy cause! I saw Pegasus being taken apart and put back together very rapidly in the yard at the start of the season, impressive work! Will watch you blow past on the start  :lol:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
And the latest from the RORC:

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/en/videos/1060-one-day-to-go

New start order:  “The wind angle now makes it fully upwind at the start so we’ve made this change principally to make it safer for the big boats to get through Hurst Narrows,” explained Chris Stone, Race Director of the Rolex Fastnet Race.

Fuck the safety of the small boats? The Class 40's and possibly the 60's will still need to watch out, but they are all pro's and it will be simple port/stbd situations, going with the tide too. Hope to see some good helicopter or drone footage with wet and mast breaking stuff, just to stay awake, you know.  -_-

Not one day but 8 hours to go now:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
The YB tracker is live already, fun to see the boats coming across from France, and where the others are.

Screenshot_20210808-140325.png