Fattening up a halyard

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
the best way I have bulked up a line at a clutch was to take a cover over the area but instead of whipping the ends, you break it down into threads and then stich them into the rest of the line going both ways away from your bulked area. You do part of it with a lot of stiches spread out over a long area and then less and less till you are just putting a a couple of stiches in for the final few. You are tapering the line both ways away from your bulking by doing this. This way takes a very long time but is a very secure way of bulking and it results in a very uniform bulking. That said, I think that if I did it again, I will would just pull in a bit of 1/8 dyneema under the core and see if that worked... very fast. As suggested above. 
How many fucking times do I have to say that a 1/8” insert doesn’t do shit?!  On a 10mm line, you net less than 0.5mm increase in diameter!  

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
How many fucking times do I have to say that a 1/8” insert doesn’t do shit?!  On a 10mm line, you net less than 0.5mm increase in diameter!  
best you can hope for with 3-4mm stuffed inside is the line will stay round, functionally it won't be any bigger. Hopefully S Bob won't have to repeat himself again

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Hmmm - the 1/8 core works for me. Remember, what we're trying to do is improve line-holding, not thicken up a line. The mechanism may be that the 1/8 core both thickens up the line a little, and increases stiffness a little, so that the combination make the clutch work well. Anyhow, I'm going to continue adding a thin core because it works.  

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Hmmm - the 1/8 core works for me. Remember, what we're trying to do is improve line-holding, not thicken up a line. The mechanism may be that the 1/8 core both thickens up the line a little, and increases stiffness a little, so that the combination make the clutch work well. Anyhow, I'm going to continue adding a thin core because it works.  
yeah, I got about 4 years more service out of the clutch on my main halyard on the 35 with about 3' of 1/8 spider line or some shit. cost me about 4$ to extend the life of the clutch

Jib halyard took a twice as much, same clutch, different line. replaced all the  clutches when I finally replace all my halyard

btw, no whipping or stitching involved in either one.. figure the chinese handcuff theory would keep it in place and apparently it did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
best you can hope for with 3-4mm stuffed inside is the line will stay round, functionally it won't be any bigger. Hopefully S Bob won't have to repeat himself again
Good observation. 

I had slippage on my spinlock XTS 8-14mm but opted to go with a cover because I felt that an insert would simply choose the path of least resistance through the clutch jaws and lay flat instead of standing up right and engaging the jaws better.

When the clutch spring broke and the clutch jaws would no longer hold the halyard I took a cam cleat and snapped it on the halyard at the aft end of the clutch: the halyard might slip through the clutch but the cam cleat would not.