Favorite daysailers with a lifting keel?

breaqnaway

Montana
Live on an inland lake so ease of trailering and launching is really important. I really like the "new" classics like the Harbor 20 and Tartan Fantail that have comfortable cockpits and still can get up on a plane. In my mind daysailing is all about the exhilaration and beauty of sailing. A good looking comfortable boat with an asymmetric kite that can easily get up on a plane with a lifting keel would be my perfect unicorn.

FlyingCircus2

I second gbkeresy. A small Corsair would fit the bill nicely.

Aren't Montana lakes pretty cold? Sporty boats tend to be pretty wet. I'd think about getting a boat that keeps you dry. You could probably double your sailing season to like, 16 weeks.

You can't go wrong with a flying scot.

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
Viper 640 = keelboat + planing = race(y ) boat ≠ day sailer

SR-21 (SR Max) Sit on side decks, not cockpit seats. Some have lifelines.

Holder 20 (not sure about cockpit seats)

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Live on an inland lake so ease of trailering and launching is really important. I really like the "new" classics like the Harbor 20 and Tartan Fantail that have comfortable cockpits and still can get up on a plane. In my mind daysailing is all about the exhilaration and beauty of sailing. A good looking comfortable boat with an asymmetric kite that can easily get up on a plane with a lifting keel would be my perfect unicorn.

You're asking for a bunch of things that don't go well together. Neither the Harbor 20 nor the Tartan Fantail will plane and they're both intended to stay in the water, not trailer. As suggested a Flying Scot is a lot more like what you're after (although they don't plane either, and their looks are open to question).

All boats are a compromise. Easy to rig-n-launch is a characteristic that I am also fond of, and it is rather a battle of compromises because so many boats that are "easy" are actually a flaming PITA.

Finally, how much are you willing to pay for such a boat? Good news, in Europe there are these boats called "jollenkreuzers" which are pretty fast trailerable boats; in Australia there are many classes of sportboats and trailer yachts. Here in the USA we don't have anywhere near the choices; the J70 is not easy to trailer or rig/unrig and while it will plane, it's a poor relation to the others in looks and speed.

So if you're willing to go to Europe or Australia and bring a boat back from there.......

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker

s2 7.9

https://sailboat.guide/s2/79

breaqnaway

Montana
Thanks for all the great advice! The Corsair Sprint looks pretty amazing….just not sure about the multihull aesthetic. Was also looking at the Beneteau first 24. Just wish the made it with a bit smaller cabin and a larger cockpit.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
As suggested a Flying Scot is a lot more like what you're after (although they don't plane either, and their looks are open to question).

yes a FS will plane, but there has to be a lot of wind..

I've never seen one really plane. They are always pulling a big-ass stern wave.

The main thing I dislike about the Scot is the halyard wire/winch system. A poor answer to a question that nobody asked.

A folding tri could easily be the best answer available to the OP without the radical step of buying a boat on another continent (which I've seriously considered myself and rejected). I'm happy to see that nobody has suggested a Catalina 22 (so far).

familysailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
Thanks for all the great advice! The Corsair Sprint looks pretty amazing….just not sure about the multihull aesthetic. Was also looking at the Beneteau first 24. Just wish the made it with a bit smaller cabin and a larger cockpit.
Have you looked at the Beneteau/Seascape 18, Beneteau First 18, or whatever they call them now?
Here is an early review:

Latest posts