Favourite Boat pic?

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Not my boat (Jim Kilroy's of course) but one I raced "back in the day."  The glorious Kialoa III.

k3_064.jpg

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Hell no! We turbo’d the rig by going with a max roach blade and a max roach main. Got rid of the forward lower so the blade can get back further and notched for the spreader and fit a 15” rake to the masthead to clear the backstay without a flicker. Reduced overall sail area and omitted the spinnaker so it can be sailed short handed. On a heavier air day the blade can be left in the bag for an afternoon cruise and the main will do the job fine like a last- minus the planing

I’ve only gotten to sail it twice and haven’t really even tuned it yet, but it sails tight to the wind On a beat and with that main out on a run and whisker pole shaping the blade it goes faster than the ensigns and many other PHRF competitors in the non-spinnaker class. Going to try an assym soon to see what it does.

We tried to make as little modification as possible to the rig in case other Ensign sailors who don’t race one design were inspired to do so. We’ve considered a bow sprit and oversized blade and could go to a 3 stay rig for fun and to experiment.

Oh, and no hiking straps or tiller extension, my ass still hurts from years of hiking that enormous #1 Genoa down on the Irish Mist. I’ll stay in the cockpit on this one!

I dry sail it as well which isn’t class legal...

6A5D4586-F021-4D3C-8652-BC0845327987.jpeg

CBE5E742-ED23-4BD5-A5E9-263B55646211.jpeg

E7126BB3-C1C9-4F9A-B10C-78148C1A9438.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
So you race the Ensign in PHRF?  What's it rate?  I thought some of the Ensigns in Niantic Bay are dry-sailed, but no I guess they just drysail the Lightnings there...  Now I get the "T" after the "E" on the main, wondered about that.....

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Some folks here thought the T was for twin or my last name.

I miss going to the Old Slyme Inn during the Ensign Nationals up there.

We rate 243- the same as class legal. Could be wrong so I’ll re-check and get back on that. It used to be 235...

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
And boats can be dry sailed as long as the local fleet votes for it. However, at the Regional and National regattas they must be wet sailed. 

The Nationals are at Seaside Park, NJ this August, but I won’t be racing.

At least not on Banshee 2023!

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
sweet boat what is it?
She's an Elliott 7, which used to have a great OD fleet in Australia. Unfortunately she is the only one in Tasmania. They are one of the early sporties, designed in the pre A-sail 1980s. 

She punches above her weight in a mixed fleet, but suffers upwind in any sort of breeze - especially without several crew on the rail. In the light stuff she's wonderful to sail short or single handed. 

Here a photo of her (57) in her her OD days, well before I had her. 

WALTERTURNBULL E57.jpeg

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Malihini - 35' Shuttleworth Catamaran, Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii

hanalei_20121008.jpg

(I don't have a good pic of my favorite boat, the 50' Newick trimaran Moxie...)