DrewR

Utility Infielder
Buzzards Bay, MA
CuttySmall.jpg

Cuttyhunk sundown.

daan62

Super Anarchist
sorry....

Bob Perry's opinion... awesome boat... just do not cruise it upwind in more than 20 kts with just 3 people onboard since it will become uncomfortable...

"J/35, one of the nicest all round boats I have ever sailed."

Bob Perry

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
She looks gorgeous Bigr, and I can well imagine she'd be comfortable in a big sea 

I'm jealous you bastard. Love the three sail setup all off the masthead, that's different!
yeah she was heavy, built for IMS  , my dad had to build a fast boat , yet comfy enough for weekend trips to local islands . it had every ammenity available at the time . i think the fastest we ever went was on this race and it was 22-24 knots with full main and #3 broad reaching in the overnight offshore from baja. doesnt sound fast by todays standards, but that pig at that speed felt damn near out of control !

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That's fast, even by today's standards.

I doubt many people here - or anywhere for that matter - have ever gone more than 20 knots under sail.

Or anywhere near it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
That's fast, even by today's standards.

I doubt many people here - or anywhere for that matter - have ever gone more than 20 knots under sail.

Or anywhere near it.
just jaded with the VOR and canting boats i guess. we were all clipped on , only time in my life i was. oh and the mast and hull make weird noises at those speeds. some creepy humming for sure.

we were first monohull elapsed in the newport to ensenada race in 1993 , and this is what the L.A. Times wrote:

OFFSHORE--Despite Aldora's success in the recent Newport-Ensenada race, owner-skipper Dave Dillehay says that, although the Long Beach boat has an IMS handicap rating as a combination racer-cruiser, it's "more of a cruiser than a racer." That's rubbing saltwater in the wounds of the ULDB 70s that his smaller Andrews 56 embarrassed. Aldora was faster down the course--by 2 minutes 42 seconds--than Mike Campbell's Andrews 70 Victoria, which finished first but started 10 minutes earlier. Both boats were designed by Alan Andrews of Long Beach, but the rules allow Aldora comforts that ULDB 70 sled crews only dream about. The 70s are all-out racers under their IOR handicaps. Aldora's IMS rating allows for amenities, such as two staterooms, two heads, three showers, a full-size refrigerator, a microwave, a watermaker, TV (with VCR) and "every creature comfort possible," Dillehay said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts