Favourite sailing quote?

. . . .

Coming on deck to take a piss while off-watch on a Vineyard Race, I ask where we are, on deck watch thinks I'm asking what sail combination we have up and rely " two and a reef" (#2 jib and a reefed main) - I reply "Tuna Reef? Where the hell is Tuna Reef?" - was our mantra for many years, LOL.
That's a howl!

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist
RI, USA
A friend of mine describing what he thought of the skipper he sailed with for the first time that day:

"I don't think I'd warm up to him even if we were cremated together."

while sailing a dinghy at night without lights: "well, the good news is that the cops wont be able to see us - especially with the transparent sails" "yeah... but no one else is going to see us either" "fuck". at any rate - the mylar looked really cool being illuminated by the moon. not to mention it was great practice since you couldnt really see the boat as you moved through it during maneuvers...

A

Amati

We were having dinner with Steve and Nancy Rander, and they were telling us about launching Rage (70', 21,000 lbs) completely into the air off a wave.

I asked what was it like when you landed?

Steve said "like hitting a house with a cement truck."

:)

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Can anyone remember the wording of the quote sometimes attributed to Blackhaller which goes something like this:

"The good thing getting away with cheating is, if you win, it's like you win twice!"

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Me: Are we crossing?

My Bowman: I'm crossing I don't know about you.
Captain of light cruiser HMS Belfast, on her way in to Portsmouth. Timing is important to the Royal Navy. "Nav, we're 30 seconds early"

Nav: "We might be 30 seconds early, sir, but the stern is 1 minute late"

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Big motor boat in Portsmouth, finding some Victories (22' clinker wooden keelboat) in his way. "If you don't get out of my way, I'll report you to the Queen's Harbour Master!"

Helmsman of one of the Victories stands up & turns round "Sir, I am the Queen's Harbour Master"

savoir

Super Anarchist
The greatest sailing journalist who ever lived was a Brit named Jack Knights He attended the 1978 Clipper Cup in Hawaii and among other things wrote this in his magazine report on the regatta :

" The boats were crewed by numerous blonde haired moustachioed gentlemen whose knowledge of sailing was exceeded only by their ignorance of everything else ".

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Pom

On some particularly bad driving - ' Christ skip - your are leaving a trail like a mad woman's piss'

On a light and fluky race - 'that wind went up and down more times than a whore's knickers'

Or

There is not 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in cunt.........

Bsquared

Anarchist
A sadly forgotten beach cat skipper, as the fleet heads out to a questionable big air race "Looks like we reached that critical mass of fiberglass and testosterone"

Latest posts