Fear and Loathing in the House of the Mouse

I’m horrified to report that I will be spending a week in Orlando in June for the Special Olympics National Games.  Why the horror?  Because, for me, theme parks come in somewhere just below root canals on the list of things I enjoy.  I’m only watching one set of events for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day. Other than drinking myself into a stupor and then falling into the swamp and being eaten by an alligator / python hybrid, what the hell is there to do in or around Orlando? I should add that I’m not planning on renting a car, but I could be convinced otherwise if there’s something really interesting to drive to.  Your suggestions and / or sympathy are solicited.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gangbusters

Anarchist
Chicago
The Atlantic Ocean is 45 minutes east of the airport. You might be able to see a rocket launched from the beach if the timing is right. Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach is open 24 hrs if you need a t-shirt at 3:00 am.

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Many years ago a business colleague that I did not know socially suggested that we go scuba diving with his "good friend" in Florida - just a random conversation about stuff that lead to a scuba connection. So we fly cross country and show up at this dude's house. His wife answered the door and expressed surprise - apparently my colleague had completely failed to mention to his friend that we were coming, or staying in his house. Embarrassing. Also, the dude was at work all weekend.

Anyhow, calls were made and the dude was found. It turned out that he was a scientist studying manatees. So our scuba weekend turned into a weekend of hauling ass around Florida ICW and swampy inlets locating and counting manatees. It was a ton of fun and a lot more interesting than one more dive on one more reef.

I have no idea what the point of this story was, other than to find a way to get away from Orlando, and play on the water.

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
I’m horrified to report that I will be spending a week in Orlando in June for the Special Olympics National Games.  Why the horror?  Because, for me, theme parks come in somewhere just below root canals on the list of things I enjoy.  I’m only watching one set of events for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day. Other than drinking myself into a stupor and then falling into the swamp and being eaten by an alligator / python hybrid, what the hell is there to do in or around Orlando? I should add that I’m not planning on renting a car, but I could be convinced otherwise if there’s something really interesting to drive to.  Your suggestions and / or sympathy are solicited.
Can't help with Orlando, which I've always driven through on the way to or from somewhere else.

The good somewhere elses:

Diving east coast, Jupiter and Palm beach.  Good boats and DMs, drift-diving along the reefs.  Rent a thick wetsuit and hoodie.

Nada?

Key West.  Rent a scooter.  Feign offbeatness.

All this is a lot of driving.  I suspect I have not been of much help.  

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
 So our scuba weekend turned into a weekend of hauling ass around Florida ICW and swampy inlets locating and counting manatees. It was a ton of fun and a lot more interesting than one more dive on one more reef.

I have no idea what the point of this story was, other than to find a way to get away from Orlando, and play on the water.

In the 80's we used to feed the Manatees at Fort Liquordale.  The Power Plant is right next to the port, and there was public access to the warm water outlets coming from the plants.  We would get day-old starting to rot lettuce and other similar veggies and feed them.  It was cool as hell!!  

Sadly I saw a bit on Sunday Morning or 60 Minutes about how they are dropping like flies!  Dying by the droves because the waters are so polluted that no sun reaches the natural grass they eat, and most all of the grasses are dead and gone, and so goes the Manatee.  Volunteers are paying to have some of them shipped by air to inland zoos where they can live the rest of their lives while hopefully educating people about conservation and keeping our waters clean.  Most of the coral reefs off the East Coast of FL have serious bleaching too, IIRC. 

"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, they pave paradise and put up a parking lot"  Joni Mitchell

I looked into spending a few days in Key West at one end or the other of the Orlando week.  But the rental prices in KW are insane, and that still leaves me in Orlando staring a the bottom of yet another G&T for a week.  My liver is worried…..

Special Olympics rocks.  Terrific organization with a shoestring budget that does incredible things for people with disabilities.  Now, if I could just convince them to never ever hold the Games in Orlando again….

Windward

Super Anarchist
+1 on the space center.   Leave yourself time.   We had to leave earlier than I wanted, and missed the whole Mars exhibit.  :-(

Research the whole toll road thing before you go, and choose the best solution for your needs.

chester

Super Anarchist
so NOT Disney world then?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Too bad R Doughnuts in Ft Lauderdale is no longer with us. I loved taking unsuspecting guests into that place after church on Sunday mornings...

B3czXKZCMAEEO79

271795487_5255618031136586_5703250661107871512_n.jpg