Fiberglass repair recommendation.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
A simple glove trick... if the job is lengthy enough to require multiple pairs, is to put on two on each hand. You peel off the outer dirty glove but leave on the inner. All the sweat stays inside and you can then pull on a new clean glove over the one still on. If doing big job like lots of tabbing or hull skin it saves a lot of hassle.
Good one! +1.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I mix in the plastic lowball drinking cups, big bag from warehouse club.

You want to avoid anything with lots of internal ridges that impede mixing.

Solo cups are bad.

not the short clear plastic solo cups... you mean the tall colored ones.. I like the idea of holding onto the cups to see the cure

I've gone away from the pumps and weigh everything with a digital scale.. the pumps I just use to fill glass jars with resin and hardener (spererately of course) and pour from there instead of the cans..
Dreads - mind if I ask why? I kinda like the pumps - they make it easy for me working by myself to mix up just enough glop for what I'm working on now, w/out having to worry about quickly spreading out a big batch to avoid having it cook off in the cup. Is there somethin' I should be concerned about that I'm not considering?
the pumps are fine, but not reliable for small batches.. most of the time I'm working with 1-2 oz's of epoxy...

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
One odd thought re measuring with scale...

Seems to me if the resin/hardener are sold with directions for volume mix ratios, eg 3:1 etc. weighing might bring problems and vice-versa...

I just use the plastic cups sold by suppliers for big stuff and old Kodak film canisters for the very small batches or even the bottom of beer cans...remove the tabs on the tops...imagine the fun.

And here the temps are 3 and going lower, so it will be a few weeks before I can get to work with the goop and finishing my project. I envy all who are in the warm and can keep going and not have to freeze off ass shoveling snow....if I did not have so many anchors, I would have moved south long ago.

Ishmael

Fuctifino

Seems to me if the resin/hardener are sold with directions for volume mix ratios, eg 3:1 etc. weighing might bring problems and vice-versa...

I just use the plastic cups sold by suppliers for big stuff and old Kodak film canisters for the very small batches or even the bottom of beer cans...remove the tabs on the tops...imagine the fun.

And here the temps are 3 and going lower, so it will be a few weeks before I can get to work with the goop and finishing my project. I envy all who are in the warm and can keep going and not have to freeze off ass shoveling snow....if I did not have so many anchors, I would have moved south long ago.
From WEST:

Dispensing without Mini Pumps (Weight/volume measure) - To measure 105 Resin and 205 or 206 Hardener by weight or volume, combine five parts resin with one part hardener.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker

From WEST:

>>Dispensing without Mini Pumps (Weight/volume measure) - To measure 105 Resin and 205 or 206 Hardener by weight or volume, combine five parts resin with one part hardener.

exactly, 1oz 105 .2 oz 205 the digital scale i have will go down to 1/100s of an oz.. but i don't rely on that accuracy..

i used to make larger batches when using the pumps, but found i was making a lot of coasters... i was jumping around the boat looking for areas to use the epoxy..

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Okay...not disagreeing. Seems I was not clear.

My point was/is just that if the product is sold for 50:50 mix-any product-then using weight to attain 50:50 would or could create havoc with mix...unless, of course, the weight ratio matches.

I should add that I am a slightly lazy anal person, as counter intuitive as that may seem, and I mix epoxy as I noted earlier, to the line in the cups, which can be off obviously, and with just a tad more resin.

When I mix poly, I stay exactly with drips per batch, at least since in 70s I lit a pot afire in garage...which we extinguished... :eek:/ We learned quick. I still fooled with the stuff...still have some of that stuff from then-disposal seems impossible without a batch of resin, might have to mix and toss.

Even when mixing the pasty stuff sold by West...seems to do fine as have had no bad cures...knock on whatever, but I do measure big batches...usually 20-30 percent more than needed always. At least the stuff cures and goes recycle...but I usually find some goofy area of house to use it on...very handy stuff for lots of stuff.