Financial Disparity

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
That doesn't make it a proper noun, it just makes it a noun. And alligator is a specific thing with a specific name, too. But you don't capitalize it.

Australian is a proper noun. A proper noun generally refers to a distinct thing, with a name that is generally attached to it's individuality.

Australia (proper noun) is a name for a country (noun, not proper).

In German all nouns are capitalized. In English they are not, only proper nouns are. All proper nouns are nouns, but not all nouns are proper.
An alligator is indeed a specific thing, but not capitalized because it could mean any old alligator. The species name is gnerally capitalized athough this may be old-fahsioned as I'm seeing species names uncapitalized now fairly often in professional media.

We seem to disagree over what is a proper noun (not captialized, oddly enough). Language is a funny thing and the rules tend to come from very irregular, random-seeming... after all it arises from the behavior of people as they speak or write, and who is less consistent and rational than people?

But specific things like Australia, Charley The Alligator, the Etchells 22 Class, etc etc, are proper to capitalize. RandOm nouNs, not so mUch.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
There's more to Moby Dick to learn than you thought: Queequeg was pretty blackish, possibly Maori.

"Although the theme of friendship receives less consideration once the Pequod sails, Queequeg indirectly saves Ishmael's life. Twice, the harpooner rescues men from drowning — a bumpkin who has been mocking him and Tashtego, another harpooner." [Yeah, me again with the bold.] literally Cliff's Notes

mikewof

mikewof
"Australian’s credit Alick Wickham with the invention of the front crawl (aka freestyle), but some debate who was the first to use this style of swimming." (snip)...

The Australian crawl is just another modification to the front crawl, witnessed by Wickham from some islander kids. The crawl is an unregulated stroke, and good swimmers have their own variations to it. The Red Cross Swimming and Aquatics Safety manual calls it the "crawl" or "front crawl". The ability to modify the stroke at will and still stay within the FINA guidelines is a big part of the reason it's so popular.

Are there any world-class swimmers who use a straight, unmodified version of the Australian crawl? There might be, but I have never seen that.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The Australian crawl is just another modification to the front crawl, witnessed by Wickham from some islander kids. The crawl is an unregulated stroke, and good swimmers have their own variations to it. The Red Cross Swimming and Aquatics Safety manual calls it the "crawl" or "front crawl". The ability to modify the stroke at will and still stay within the FINA guidelines is a big part of the reason it's so popular.

Are there any world-class swimmers who use a straight, unmodified version of the Australian crawl? There might be, but I have never seen that.
Ya know, you could show us your Populist Liberal bonafides in this thread. But no, you have to be a pedantic stroker.

mikewof

mikewof
You're the resident Populist Liberal - what can we do to lower the disparity?

I suspect that you might be projecting your own populism from your "right wing" mindset.

I have some thoughts about the disparity, I have posted on this many times over the years here. But what are your ideas first on the disparity before I commit to your trolling?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I suspect that you might be projecting your own populism from your "right wing" mindset.

I have some thoughts about the disparity, I have posted on this many times over the years here. But what are your ideas first on the disparity before I commit to your trolling?
Billy suggests that education costs are an issue, which you probably agree with. I certainly do. I know you don't like loan forgiveness. What is the leftie populist answer?

mikewof

mikewof
Billy suggests that education costs are an issue, which you probably agree with. I certainly do. I know you don't like loan forgiveness. What is the leftie populist answer?
First, if you think I am a populist then you must live in a really weird place where others share my opinions.

Second, I noted that you don't have anything to add here, which fits your general lack of substance in most of these threads; beneath the trolling and sycophance, there seems to be not much substance, perhaps the reason you embrace trolling and sycophance.

I am not against loan forgiveness, I am against loan forgiveness as a vote-getting bribe used in place of actual educational reform.

As for my own weird suggestion ... I think the educational industry has gotten away with disconnecting itself from the needs of the economy and people. The reason trade schools tend not to teach culture like art and literature alongside trades, and why universities tend not to teach trades alongside poetry and dance is due to entrenched classism and elitism. If these universities expect to maintain tax-free status as they compete with private industry, then we need to require every nonprofit educational institution to offer a bare-bones educational degree that is price competitive with community colleges; no meal plans, no dorms, no lounges or student activity access, but the same degree as the ones that cost $250k ... a first class and coach type system that gets the passengers to the same destination and at the same time.

Our economy desperately needs people trained in things like engineering, the arts, personal care, sports sciences, earth sciences, trades, infrastructure, chemistry, etc., and the academic industry needs to fit into that need and stop using high -- often borrowed -- tuitions as fiscal cash cows to fund their property expansion.

If we can't reform education as a less elitist industry, then the entire industry will be useless in the coming Economic War. The only truly useless people are molecular low-entropy physicists, who should rightly be rounded up and imprisoned or executed for the public good. If we don't do something about these scofflaws soon, our nation's stock of cheap tequila, Tecate and ceviche fixings will become depleted, and the streets will be overtaken by miscreant skate punks who hold respect for neither civility nor basic human decency.

Last edited:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
First, if you think I am a populist then you must live in a really weird place where others share my opinions.

Second, I noted that you don't have anything to add here, which fits your general lack of substance in most of these threads; beneath the trolling and sycophance, there seems to be not much substance, perhaps the reason you embrace trolling and sycophance.

I am not against loan forgiveness, I am against loan forgiveness as a vote-getting bribe used in place of actual educational reform.

As for my own weird suggestion ... I think the educational industry has gotten away with disconnecting itself from the needs of the economy and people. The reason trade schools tend not to teach culture like art and literature alongside trades, and why universities tend not to teach trades alongside poetry and dance is due to entrenched classism and elitism. If these universities expect to maintain tax-free status as they compete with private industry, then we need to require every nonprofit educational institution to offer a bare-bones educational degree that is price competitive with community colleges; no meal plans, no dorms, no lounges or student activity access, but the same degree as the ones that cost $250k ... a first class and coach type system that gets the passengers to the same destination and at the same time.

Our economy desperately needs people trained in things like engineering, the arts, personal care, sports sciences, earth sciences, trades, infrastructure, chemistry, etc., and the academic industry needs to fit into that need and stop using high -- often borrowed -- tuitions as fiscal cash cows to fund their property expansion.

If we can't reform education as a less elitist industry, then the entire industry will be useless in the coming Economic War. The only truly useless people are molecular low-entropy physicists, who should rightly be rounded up and imprisoned or executed for the public good. If we don't do something about these scofflaws soon, our nation's stock of cheap tequila, Tecate and ceviche fixings will become depleted, and the streets will be overtaken by miscreant skate punks who hold respect for neither civility nor basic human decency.
I don't really care about the high-end institutions. Just like a don't care about Rolex watches. I'm not asking for Rolex to make a Timex (Timex does that just fine). If you want to go to an expensive school, but can't afford it, maybe student loans aren't the answer. Maybe a rebuilt Pell grant system is, with a bit of work-study thrown in for skin-in-the-game. Possibly, we outlaw Student Loans.

We've elected the right people in California such that the community colleges offer good quality for low cost. The State system is a a bit better and offers 4 year degrees, dorms, etc, but is still affordable. The University system unfortunately is capacity constrained in a big way, to the point of likely needing several new campuses to keep up with the demand. Those new campuses will need to be associated with existing brands like UCB and/or UCLA.

Latest posts