Find me an Offshore Sporty 35-40' Under 100K

douglas

Super Anarchist
vancouver bc
that schock 40 i posted is faster than the 1d35 and cheaper than the farr 36

has some nice mods and a decent sail inventory too. was a fun ride

AlphaPuppy

schock 40 is a sweet ride no doubt, but I hear from previous owners that there are concerns about whether the keel will stay on offshore... Also, I think they have an outboard on a well instead of proper inboard diesel no? Not ideal for offshore. But yes very fast.

AlphaPuppy

Farr 36 in Pt. Richmond has gone to Hawaii twice so equipped with emergency rudder and other sweet offshore mods. Not very spacious inside and way wetter than the 1D35 but also much faster than the 1D35. Nice ride no doubt.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I put in a similar suggestion, including a minimum distance from the transom to ensure the prop stays in the water. Interesting that you actually got a response.

The one I see with some validity is the charging requirement. Could you plumb in water to the outboard and run it while tilted up in its well? Would the on pull water uphill, or would you need a little pump forcing water in?
or could you just leave the outboard in neutral like anyone else who has to run an engine to recharge batteries during a long race?

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
I put in a similar suggestion, including a minimum distance from the transom to ensure the prop stays in the water. Interesting that you actually got a response.

The one I see with some validity is the charging requirement. Could you plumb in water to the outboard and run it while tilted up in its well? Would the on pull water uphill, or would you need a little pump forcing water in?
or could you just leave the outboard in neutral like anyone else who has to run an engine to recharge batteries during a long race?
Opening and closing the bomber door at 15 knots would have been a real pain in the arse. Also slow, I'm interested innwaysnto avoid having a lef in the water at all

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co

Opening and closing the bomber door at 15 knots would have been a real pain in the arse. Also slow, I'm interested innwaysnto avoid having a lef in the water at all
Just cary a separate genset??? No???

Agree rule is dumb in this day and age.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
I really only see the outboard in a well as a serious thing for smaller boats once you are above 30' or so an small inboard becomes a realistic option. A separate genset would be a big weight on a HP 28' boat. Doable though.

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
First ask yourself what races you want to do and their current rules / history of allowing an outboard. The only West Coast race that requires an inboard is the Transpac. The Pacific Cup, Singlehanded Transpac, Longpac, Coastal Cup, Spinnaker Cup, SoCal300, PV to Puerto Vallarta and Newport to Cabo all allow an outboard on the stern solution.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Farr 36 in Pt. Richmond has gone to Hawaii twice so equipped with emergency rudder and other sweet offshore mods. Not very spacious inside and way wetter than the 1D35 but also much faster than the 1D35. Nice ride no doubt.
Different Farr 36. The $105k boat is Wicked, I believe. War Pony, which you are referring to, is listed for around $130k, I think.

Mayhem

Unfortunately BOTH the Farr 36's are project boats. They are definitely the kind of things we are looking for...Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

svein99

Need a boat capable of offshore distance races such as Havana Race, Mac Race, Bermuda, ETC.

The Farr 36 and T-35 are the kinda things we have in mind.

USA based on the Great Lakes. Help a brother out!!

No Melges 32 or the Freakin' Peerless...
To cover all these races without an army of support and big crew - look at the Seascape 27. Winner 2014 Mac Double Handed and a slew of European accomplishments. Races like Bermuda may need an exemption, but think of the boat as a larger Mini Transat. The boat is Category C off-shore rated. Trailers well and excellent for short handed sailing. One coming soon to the Chicago area so you might see some 27's at Mac 2016! Here is a picture of mine. SeaCan Mac2014MS1.jpeg

svein99

I really only see the outboard in a well as a serious thing for smaller boats once you are above 30' or so an small inboard becomes a realistic option. A separate genset would be a big weight on a HP 28' boat. Doable though.
A fuel cell like the Efoy 80 or 120 will work well - expensive, but light and compact.

FT10, plenty of macs (both) done on them, think some of the west coast boats have done some mexico stuff too.

And, you can drag it back home at 65 kts to windward!

bring on the haters....

Latest posts