Fingers crossed for New Zealand

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
And you got Meathead. oh well. edit: and what's up with the new sock crop er crap.
It’s the direct result of sooks like Meli, Mickey and others head in sand idiots using the 2 way block.

I’m just running 2 browsers with the 2nd not logged on, but if I get bored enough I might create a sock to treat Mickey with the respect many of his posts deserve. I suspect many others went straight to their socks

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
It’s the direct result of sooks like Meli, Mickey and others head in sand idiots using the 2 way block.

I think the 2 way block thing is fucking hilarious. As you point out, it's dead easy to circumvent, so basically pointless, yet says a lot about those who use it.

Really, they should just stay in their Facebook 'safe space' or equivalent where they can 'curate' their information feed so as to not read anything that challenges their prejudices. Talk about snowflakes...

Really funny, being a member here and doing shit like that. Why even post/read here?

Goes double for Meli as she doesn't even own a dinghy let alone a sailboat.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I think the 2 way block thing is fucking hilarious. As you point out, it's dead easy to circumvent, so basically pointless, yet says a lot about those who use it.

Really, they should just stay in their Facebook 'safe space' or equivalent where they can 'curate' their information feed so as to not read anything that challenges their prejudices. Talk about snowflakes...

Really funny, being a member here and doing shit like that. Why even post/read here?

Goes double for Meli as she doesn't even own a dinghy let alone a sailboat.

FKT
It’s ok to not own a boat here. The smart ones crew for others 😜 meli is only here because she is pathetic. She didn’t even accidentally come here thinking Cruising Anarchy was for cruise ships as some have.

The use of blocking here has always been Ridiculous and then there are the crybabies who get upset when you quote someone they have blocked.

The 2 way takes it to a new level of stupidity. I really wonder why the new owners thought it was needed. On the other hand it can be a novel toy to play with if you want to have a laugh.

Back to that fucktard Meli…. You got to love her reasons for blocking a few of us here

I guess she loves the view.

F98B0CF9-AC48-4347-A158-95059069960F.png

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
It’s ok to not own a boat here. The smart ones crew for others 😜 meli is only here because she is pathetic. She didn’t even accidentally come here thinking Cruising Anarchy was for cruise ships as some have.

The use of blocking here has always been Ridiculous and then there are the crybabies who get upset when you quote someone they have blocked.

The 2 way takes it to a new level of stupidity. I really wonder why the new owners thought it was needed. On the other hand it can be a novel toy to play with if you want to have a laugh.

Back to that fucktard Meli…. You got to love her reasons for blocking a few of us here

I guess she loves the view.

View attachment 532917

I have Mikey and a couple others on ignore because they're boooring and in Mikey's case so much typing it's a PITA to scroll past it all. But not the 2-way ignore, the old way.

Meli just wants affirmation and lots of it, that's fine, now she'll get it and not have anyone actually expect her to think, read and learn.

The own a boat thing was just shorthand, crew, own or hang about marinas, most of us have a pretty decent interest in sailboats. Why else stay on a sailing forum?

Still fucking cold here, I think the predicted max for tomorrow is 11C so I don't think we'll be going far just yet. Time to go over the upgrade list.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I have Mikey and a couple others on ignore because they're boooring and in Mikey's case so much typing it's a PITA to scroll past it all. But not the 2-way ignore, the old way.

Meli just wants affirmation and lots of it, that's fine, now she'll get it and not have anyone actually expect her to think, read and learn.

The own a boat thing was just shorthand, crew, own or hang about marinas, most of us have a pretty decent interest in sailboats. Why else stay on a sailing forum?

Still fucking cold here, I think the predicted max for tomorrow is 11C so I don't think we'll be going far just yet. Time to go over the upgrade list.

FKT
I was on the boat today trying to get the RM AP talking to the B&G everything else. Failed to get it to work and also realised the rod to the rudder sensor was too long for the AP calibration to correct compensate..

But I was there in my shorts and tee-shirt, and needed a hat as the sun was strong 😜

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I was on the boat today trying to get the RM AP talking to the B&G everything else. Failed to get it to work and also realised the rod to the rudder sensor was too long for the AP calibration to correct compensate..

But I was there in my shorts and tee-shirt, and needed a hat as the sun was strong 😜
The frost is just starting to melt on my deck. I'm not leaving the house for a while yet. Time for another coffee.

Still, I was well over being in Sydney. Glad to be back home.

As for autopilots, that's on the install list for next haulout in 6 weeks, so I'd better get on with writing the control code. First cut done, needs cleaning up.

Fallback position, buy a Coursemaster unit as I had a good chat with them at the boat show and their system will work with my steering gear. But - where's the fun in that? Any idiot can spend money, it takes true dedicated stupidity to do it my way.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
The frost is just starting to melt on my deck. I'm not leaving the house for a while yet. Time for another coffee.

Still, I was well over being in Sydney. Glad to be back home.

As for autopilots, that's on the install list for next haulout in 6 weeks, so I'd better get on with writing the control code. First cut done, needs cleaning up.

Fallback position, buy a Coursemaster unit as I had a good chat with them at the boat show and their system will work with my steering gear. But - where's the fun in that? Any idiot can spend money, it takes true dedicated stupidity to do it my way.

FKT
We are really off topic talking boaty stuff here. This might get you on Meli's 2 way block list, if you are lucky.

What hardware are you using for your course computer? I'd love to do nerdy coding, but I don't have the time, energy or much motivation to learn a new language I'll never use in my nerdy dinosaur work.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
We are really off topic talking boaty stuff here. This might get you on Meli's 2 way block list, if you are lucky.

What hardware are you using for your course computer? I'd love to do nerdy coding, but I don't have the time, energy or much motivation to learn a new language I'll never use in my nerdy dinosaur work.

I'm already on Meli's 2-way ignore list. She didn't appreciate my sarcasm and my pointing out that ignorance was curable but wilful ignorance was functionally indistinguishable from stupidity.

What I'm doing on the AP stuff is a work in progress and subject to change without notice and as whim takes me.

Having said that, I took an approach we used in the past and am basically running everything over a tcp/ip network. Rudder angle indicator, heading sensor, GPS, depth all are just data streams on the network. Probably more instruments later on. How I do it depends on what hardware I needed.

Motor controller is an Arduino Ether10 which is, sadly, out of production and I want more of them. There's another way with a plug-in Ethernet board but the Ether10 was a cleaner solution. The Arduino listens for steering commands then turns the motor on/off with appropriate direction to drive the rudder. There is also a magnetic clutch I scavenged from a car air conditioning compressor so I can de-couple the motor drive easily.

Those bits are all bench-tested & working.

The 'brains' are written in Java because I'm well experienced in it and in using multiple threads for data acquisition etc. Currently running on a 2009 Apple Macbook as my dev system but the plan is to run it on a Pi 4 with either 4Gb RAM or 8Gb if 4 isn't enough. Should be heaps fast enough.

I have a high brightness waterproof touch screen already installed that I can use as the display.

You can also do a half-decent GUI in Java so can display the data and rudder angle indicator as well as desired course etc. I've done a LOT of GUI development in Java over the years.

The Java coding is a pre-alpha work in progress and may get totally re-done or abandoned if I don't like the final product. I've no qualms about killing off projects that don't meet my requirements. But - it works on the bench and I plan on testing it in October when I've installed all the hardware and the boat is back in the water.

First up I'm only writing it to hold a given course but it'll be possible to swap between magnetic heading sensor and GPS COG. Past experience has shown me that using the COG under say 1.5 knots SOG is - err - brave. But the option is good. And once a given course works, waypoint capability is trivially easy to add. You just need to calculate course & distance from where you are to where you want to be and I wrote THAT code more than 20 years ago.

Anyway it's kept me amused over winter while I was supposed to be actually working on other peoples' code so it's all good. I don't bill them by the hour so nobody can complain about the time I wasted on this.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I'm already on Meli's 2-way ignore list. She didn't appreciate my sarcasm and my pointing out that ignorance was curable but wilful ignorance was functionally indistinguishable from stupidity.
She struggles with the truth that does not fit in with her beliefs. It's just like she thinks that she adds value to the forum. She forgets that PA/GA/C19A are just a sideshow to why we come here.

What I'm doing on the AP stuff is a work in progress and subject to change without notice and as whim takes me.

Having said that, I took an approach we used in the past and am basically running everything over a tcp/ip network. Rudder angle indicator, heading sensor, GPS, depth all are just data streams on the network. Probably more instruments later on. How I do it depends on what hardware I needed.

Motor controller is an Arduino Ether10 which is, sadly, out of production and I want more of them. There's another way with a plug-in Ethernet board but the Ether10 was a cleaner solution. The Arduino listens for steering commands then turns the motor on/off with appropriate direction to drive the rudder. There is also a magnetic clutch I scavenged from a car air conditioning compressor so I can de-couple the motor drive easily.

The 'brains' are written in Java because I'm well experienced in it and in using multiple threads for data acquisition etc. Currently running on a 2009 Apple Macbook as my dev system but the plan is to run it on a Pi 4 with either 4Gb RAM or 8Gb if 4 isn't enough. Should be heaps fast enough.

I have a high brightness waterproof touch screen already installed that I can use as the display.

You can also do a half-decent GUI in Java so can display the data and rudder angle indicator as well as desired course etc. I've done a LOT of GUI development in Java over the years.

The Java coding is a pre-alpha work in progress and may get totally re-done or abandoned if I don't like the final product. I've no qualms about killing off projects that don't meet my requirements. But - it works on the bench and I plan on testing it in October when I've installed all the hardware and the boat is back in the water.

First up I'm only writing it to hold a given course but it'll be possible to swap between magnetic heading sensor and GPS COG. Past experience has shown me that using the COG under say 1.5 knots SOG is - err - brave. But the option is good. And once a given course works, waypoint capability is trivially easy to add. You just need to calculate course & distance from where you are to where you want to be and I wrote THAT code more than 20 years ago.

Anyway it's kept me amused over winter while I was supposed to be actually working on other peoples' code so it's all good. I don't bill them by the hour so nobody can complain about the time I wasted on this.

FKT
I bought a RPie and various sensors a few years ago with the idea to build a boat data logger for NMEA and a few extra bits of data. Other than starting up the pie, I did nothing. The Python dummies guide is unopened.

LB 15

Cunt

FKT
Do you guys get a boner when you talk about this geek stuff? Must really pull the beaver.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Yep. We hire people to do the menial tasks. But I only need computers now to bait people on the internet.

I suppose you have sufficient other talents so that your wife doesn't mind having to fill up the car and arrange for it to be serviced. Whatever works for you guys is good.

Seems you've got more in common with Meli than I thought, though. NTTIAWWT. I guess.

Computers are wonderful things. I managed to spend most of my working life doing very, very little and nobody could ever tell, because of computers. God forbid that I'd have to have worked a real job.

Ah well, the ice has almost melted outside and it promises to be a nice warm 12C. Dinghy is back on the beach, tide is rising so I might go check on the boat, run the engine for a bit, tech-y stuff like that. Life is good.

FKT

LB 15

Cunt
Seems you've got more in common with Meli than I thought
Indeed. Neither of us write code. I am not sure if she owns a car, but if she does she probably doesn't service it herself either. I have just booked mine in to get the aircon fixed. I guess I could learn how to do it myself but I couldn't be fucked and I like to support you working class types. Lidia just sent me some pics from Dover this morning. What is that white shit on everything?

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Indeed. Neither of us write code. I am not sure if she owns a car, but if she does she probably doesn't service it herself either. I have just booked mine in to get the aircon fixed. I guess I could learn how to do it myself but I couldn't be fucked and I like to support you working class types. Lidia just sent me some pics from Dover this morning. What is that white shit on everything?

Get the air con fixed? When mine packed it in I just bought another car. Some things are far too much trouble to fix. Not like cars are expensive and not like I care about working on them. No challenges there. Boring.

Anyway if I didn't have at least 6 hobbies and about 150 projects on the go I'd be intolerable to live with. Low boredom threshold, short attention span.

Actually I am intolerable to live with. So there's that.

Yeah that white shit. Almost melted now. Still, better being on the inside looking out than actually out there in it. And I do have a nice Dickinson diesel heater on the boat.

Still, it hasn't snowed down to sea level this year so that's a bonus. And I'm away from all those fuckwits cluttering up Sydney Harbour and Broken Bay. Might get down to Dover before long.

FKT