blunderfull

Super Anarchist
http://www.finnusa.org/2020/08/11/henry-sprague-schools-san-diego-fleet-at-ocr/

636547A6-7417-451A-BDD2-535195659274.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Just added a 2007 Devoti to my "dust collector" collection.... so called because we're in strict lockdown....I can't even go and pick up the new purchase, let alone sail it. But fingers crossed it'll get wet as Spring kicks in and people behave responsibly....So definitely an "armchair admiral" for a few weeks yet!! But I can still work on the fitness!!!

Just added a 2007 Devoti to my "dust collector" collection.... so called because we're in strict lockdown....I can't even go and pick up the new purchase, let alone sail it. But fingers crossed it'll get wet as Spring kicks in and people behave responsibly....So definitely an "armchair admiral" for a few weeks yet!! But I can still work on the fitness!!!
Congrats! Are you still quarantined to your respective states in Oz? I know Phil has been working hard to keep something going.

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Congrats! Are you still quarantined to your respective states in Oz? I know Phil has been working hard to keep something going.
Yeah Pencil is in QLD and I'm in Victoria...and our borders are closed ...he's a great mate (we go right back thru various classes) and has been at me for years to get serious about the Finn...I did a season in them in a borrowed boat he arranged before he moved his family north - he's built his local fleet from 3 boats to ~20 in just a few seasons (he just ran a state champs with 34 entries!!)- now he says it's my turn to revitalise our local lot. It's a bit hard when we are limited to just 5km of home (strict) and only beyond that with written permission...and an 8pm -5am curfew...and obviously no sailing. So yeah, we're super strict, but the virus numbers are dropping and there's a good chance we'll get together for our Nationals in Sydney in November....

How do you know Phil?

Yeah Pencil is in QLD and I'm in Victoria...and our borders are closed ...he's a great mate (we go right back thru various classes) and has been at me for years to get serious about the Finn...I did a season in them in a borrowed boat he arranged before he moved his family north - he's built his local fleet from 3 boats to ~20 in just a few seasons (he just ran a state champs with 34 entries!!)- now he says it's my turn to revitalise our local lot. It's a bit hard when we are limited to just 5km of home (strict) and only beyond that with written permission...and an 8pm -5am curfew...and obviously no sailing. So yeah, we're super strict, but the virus numbers are dropping and there's a good chance we'll get together for our Nationals in Sydney in November....

How do you know Phil?
He runs the AUS Finn FB page and we chatted when I was thinking about going to FGC last year.

Hi all, can't seem to find a rigging manual for the Finn dinghy, need to know how to rig the outhaul, inhaul, downhaul and the lever kicker. Pictures or descriptions would be brilliant, my boat is a 1986 vanguard originally owned and modified by Luca Devoti
Is that the boat he modified and made the first Devoti mould from?  Was at my sailing club in Germany for a bit if so. 

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Working off existing holes in floor, it appears that piece of oak attached thru cockpit wall will anchor in stringer and keep floor down.   Four more screws go directly into middle two stringers near traveler post.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
For whatever reason the site doesn't let me PM pictures unless they're already linked (to prevent dick pics?)

There should be a sheave on the top of the boom in the back that has the shackle to attach to the clew, there are one or two cascades inside the boom that have holes drilled in the bottom or the sides of the boom to deadend one end of the line, until the last cascade exits the sheave on the bottom of the front of the boom to go through the deck ring and down to the control lines

View attachment 382822
Stuck here.   The line connecting the two internal blocks is broken/undone.  Ideas on how to run new line?   We’re talking 1990’s Needlespar boom.

E3420276-9FD8-4351-9AA4-1E7288E01581.jpeg

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Thks.   Playing around with that right now.  

Heathen who came up with this on one piece extruded section.
When I've built cascading outhauls in a boom I anchored them on the forward end of the boom. That way you can always get to the dead ends if you need to replace the line. Feed a new line in from the forward end through the boom out the aft end. Then put it through the bullet block and feed it back through to the forward end of the boom. If it's the line that goes into the cleat, feed it into the cleat.  Then anchor the other end in a knot or bowline on the forward end. 

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
coat hanger bent into an inverted "j" stuck through the hole and a lot of patience
no. Look at the diagram that 1.5thumb did. You put lines through the holes the boom , pull to the aft end of the boom. Attach to the blocks according to the diagram then pull the 2 attachment lines back through their respective holes then tie a knot on each and cut extra line off.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
no. Look at the diagram that 1.5thumb did. You put lines through the holes the boom , pull to the aft end of the boom. Attach to the blocks according to the diagram then pull the 2 attachment lines back through their respective holes then tie a knot on each and cut extra line off.
1.5’s looks good.   If this gets it done so be it.

At first glance this outhaul setup seems needlessly tricked out.   As in,  where’s the cut-away to access the interior?  Looks a harder job than it prolly is.

Total anarchy when several people staring at this boat and each has his own ‘let’s do this first’ bit.

We pried the floorboard up and I was expecting wood stringers?  Not so, just glassed.   Might go over the old screw holes with some glass to tidy that up.

C2600B87-FCBC-4D07-B970-76D78D99BE8E.jpeg

Latest posts