Finn rigging

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
No dolly either.   I’ll wait to see what’s around the yard @ SDYC and go from there. 

Need a Little Hawk Mk ll and West Marine/Newport told me no stock showing across the board all West M. stores.   Online too slow - need before 12 Sept and can’t source supplier who’ll guarantee delivery by then.  (Schaefer doing ok business these days- that’s a pretty common wind indicator to be o/s this time of year?)
You guys are in luck sailing at SDYC because a lot of guys launch by hoist from trailers rather than dollies. One thing to note, make sure to bring your class required towline ( 8M of 8mm floating line ). It's a long tow out to the race course on most days.  

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
You guys are in luck sailing at SDYC because a lot of guys launch by hoist from trailers rather than dollies. One thing to note, make sure to bring your class required towline ( 8M of 8mm floating line ). It's a long tow out to the race course on most days.  
Is it a dolly launch?   I’ve used the hoist there only (Stars) & never noticed what the dinghy guys were doing.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Ah thank you. I was telling Ryan that he needed to source the towline so now he can work on that in advance.  Great about hoisting in!  That will be easier off of the trailer.

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
Ah thank you. I was telling Ryan that he needed to source the towline so now he can work on that in advance.  Great about hoisting in!  That will be easier off of the trailer.
Just get the yellow three strand polypropylene line. Cheap, floats and easy to find everywhere.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Just get the yellow three strand polypropylene line. Cheap, floats and easy to find everywhere.
I

Dolly launch is right next to hoist.  
Cool.

Curious what dolly guys using these days.  Seitechs?

8B98F1D1-1DE1-4F5D-A19B-CA5394451202.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.

I’m stuck a bit w/o one.   Haven’t splashed #828 yet & need to ASAP.  Dunes not exactly best place to find a dolly to launch.  
Talk to Dorgan and the SD guys, I wouldn't be surprised if Henry or Rob have a spare somewhere they'd be willing to sell you. I know Joe Chinburg brought a bunch of fiberglass bunks to Denver from Holland so if you know a good welder you could get one whipped up pretty cheap.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Talk to Dorgan and the SD guys, I wouldn't be surprised if Henry or Rob have a spare somewhere they'd be willing to sell you. I know Joe Chinburg brought a bunch of fiberglass bunks to Denver from Holland so if you know a good welder you could get one whipped up pretty cheap.
Joe Chinburg mentioned to my brother that a new dolly is 450 Euros. That seems like the way to go.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Thks.   Left a mesg.     Will ck OCC/Sea Base/ ABYC this weekend. 

Carbon

Super Anarchist
Right. There was no discussion about the timeline.  It may be in a future container.
My used dolly is in the current container.  It's not finalized yet so if anyone still needs Finn equipment quickly contact Joe Chinburg.  I paid 300 EUR plus shipping and will need to replace the carpet on it but that's it.  It's the perfect dolly for an old Vanguard Finn.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Not one to over think things (Laser mindset) I’m stalled out on the most correct, fast, clever (me?). lines setup on the old blue boat.

Bringing 75’ of new line & bullet blocks to mash up things last minute.   If I wasn’t chill these days I would be absolutly freaking out heading into biggish regatta w/o even sailed & properly gone thru a couple different rigging ideas.  Jump in somewhere and it’s all better the next weekend.  

Pumped up.

DD7E29DF-5F58-4F4F-A316-F5831AA0080A.jpeg

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Cascades in boom kinda wonky.   Works but, old, frayed lines make for slow go on outhaul.

All lines need to go.  Sun bleached, frayed and blocks need cleaning and/or replacement.

Surfer/welder buddy wanders over to ck boat out in yard.   Looking at centerboard:  “...damn this looks serious.”

6E588EB1-578B-4514-B564-3E5CCB5F1465.jpeg

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
I picked up an old 1960’s GRP Finn earlier this year. I think it’s an old Pearson that was build in the UK. The boat needs a pretty serious restoration but looking forward to getting stuck into it soon. 
Here’s two sketches that were posted on a Finn Facebook group, sorry the quality is not great 7013047F-0C58-4D86-8D0F-BACA6395382E.jpeg

D9286261-2239-4B54-ADC9-4F900AF73DF1.jpeg

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
What's the story with the centerboard being able to move fore/aft?  How much travel does it actually have?  I set up a friend with a '91 Vanguard to race next weekend at the PCCs and I doubt that the centerboard can move though I can't say for sure. How does one measure for such a thing?  Meaning, do we measure from the transom corner to the trailing edge of the centerboard when fully down when the boat is on its side?  

What's the story with the centerboard being able to move fore/aft?  How much travel does it actually have?  I set up a friend with a '91 Vanguard to race next weekend at the PCCs and I doubt that the centerboard can move though I can't say for sure. How does one measure for such a thing?  Meaning, do we measure from the transom corner to the trailing edge of the centerboard when fully down when the boat is on its side?  
There's a slot milled in the centerboard trunk that the bolt can slide fore and aft, it's only a few centimeters

Measure from the corner of the transom to the trailing edge of the foil with the boat on a crane, it's hemispherical so the length doesn't change.

Not all boats had it until pretty recently, it's not terribly hard to modify as long as your measurement is accurate

bolt.jpg

FinnCB.png

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
When that boat was built you weren’t permitted to have a range of adjustment. But the pivot bolt location and range are the Sam e, so I suspect it’s fine. The tolerance was millimeters, not centimeters.  So a range of 3/8”.  New rigs with stiffer masts probably have a placement different than the Needlespar set up.

SHC

Latest posts