Finn rigging

some dude

Super Anarchist
Just get the yellow three strand polypropylene line. Cheap, floats and easy to find everywhere.
Yep. WM on Rosecrans has the stuff.  Theirs is blue poly pro. Class rule says min diameter is 8mm.  

You tie it to the mast, pass it through the ring on the toe line, and back to the mast or traveler. I like the traveler so its easier to bail in flight in case of emergency.  That ends up chafing the towline at the ring, so I buy 2 at a time (and be ready for it to break after a few weekends)

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Had to bail on Sunday - boat leaks like old canoe.   Haha aplenty as we had to wait 20 mins for boat to drain on edge of dock before we (4 guys) could haul the beast out.

Good fleet, moderate conditions, good RC and the SDYC in full colors.   A fine day sailing.

Thanks guys for waiting for me.  I probably cost you 90 mins time overall on the day.   Did not want to do that to you again today.  

Will flip the Newport, fix the leak(s) and continue training.   I felt privileged to be welcomed by a great bunch of talented guys.

Finns Rule.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Had to bail on Sunday - boat leaks like old canoe.   Haha aplenty as we had to wait 20 mins for boat to drain on edge of dock before we (4 guys) could haul the beast out.

Good fleet, moderate conditions, good RC and the SDYC in full colors.   A fine day sailing.

Thanks guys for waiting for me.  I probably cost you 90 mins time overall on the day.   Did not want to do that to you again today.  

Will flip the Newport, fix the leak(s) and continue training.   I felt privileged to be welcomed by a great bunch of talented guys.

Finns Rule.
Was it windy on Sunday?  The results turned into alphabet soup on Sunday.  My buddy Ryan had his mainsheet base fail and the Harken swivel popped up and no more mainsheet block.  

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Was it windy on Sunday?  The results turned into alphabet soup on Sunday.  My buddy Ryan had his mainsheet base fail and the Harken swivel popped up and no more mainsheet block.  
I left after Saturday racing.  Didn’t get to hook up with Ryan.  Once I got there it was all I could do to get sorted out and on the tow.

My halyard failed first race and had to tie off.

Is he keeping the Vanguard @ SDYC?

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I left after Saturday racing.  Didn’t get to hook up with Ryan.  Once I got there it was all I could do to get sorted out and on the tow.

My halyard failed first race and had to tie off.

Is he keeping the Vanguard @ SDYC?
Oh bummer...  I know he was late and couldn't race Saturday as he's busy at work and couldn't break free to rig up the Finn in time, ironically his day job is rigging.

Bummer about the halyard, that's never fun.

I believe he is.  He's going to be down there today, I presume for racing big boats, and he's going to start working on the mainsheet base repair.

some dude

Super Anarchist
Light but then came on a bit in the last race. Wouldn't say "windy" except maybe on a San Diego scale.  Letters were from the U flag which went up after a couple general recalls/practice starts.

Fun event, great job by SDYC especially in not taking us as far south on Sunday.  Thats a looooong sail in 

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I expect that pulling the outhaul increases camber in the middle of the sail but the outhaul would need to ease at the same time to not flatten the foot at the same time. How are they actually used?  On which points of sail / shifting gears?

some dude

Super Anarchist
I expect that pulling the outhaul increases camber in the middle of the sail but the outhaul would need to ease at the same time to not flatten the foot at the same time. How are they actually used?  On which points of sail / shifting gears?

Generally:

Outhaul flattens bottom of the sail

Inhaul flattens middle/opens leach

Cunningham flattens front/top

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Seems like tightening inhaul  is opposite of bending mast so would increase power in middle, assuming the outhaul is eased to match it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

some dude

Super Anarchist
Tightening controls (including the inhaul) flattens the sail

Easing controls (including the inhaul) makes the sail more round

Inhaul doesn't affect bend at all-its pulling against the gooseneck, about 6 inches above the deck.  Mast not so bendy in that area. 

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Tightening controls (including the inhaul) flattens the sail

Easing controls (including the inhaul) makes the sail more round

Inhaul doesn't affect bend at all-its pulling against the gooseneck, about 6 inches above the deck.  Mast not so bendy in that area. 
Dacron sails are slow now but, they are still a hella lot fun to shape.  W/o other soft sails on course I was struggling to see how the laminate guys were moving the draft.   I hardly touched the outhaul and had a very ‘fat’ sail most of the day, trying to keep punching thru the short choppy waves in light breeze.   Played traveler lots trying to guess where the sweet spot is.   Played the board a fair bit downwind,  pulled all way up to experiment with how ‘slippery’ you can go thru gybes.  

When all else fails the constant is still sail it flat upwind.  Hike harder.   It’s going to be important to hook up with another Dacron rig and go upwind an hour or two to see what the trim should be.   

Many  guys were in knee pads and shorty neo-pants.   My Rooster farmer John with hiking pads were ok but overkill.   The knee pads on the Roosters are rough and irritating when they slipped down.

Last edited by a moderator:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Dacron sails are slow now but, they are still a hella lot fun to shape.  W/o other soft sails on course I was struggling to see how the laminate guys were moving the draft.   I hardly touched the outhaul and had a very ‘fat’ sail most of the day, trying to keep punching thru the short choppy waves in light breeze.   Played traveler lots trying to guess where the sweet spot is.   Played the board a fair bit downwind,  pulled all way up to experiment with how ‘slippery’ you can go thru gybes.  

When all else fails the constant is still sail it flat upwind.  Hike harder.   It’s going to be important to hook up with another Dacron rig and go upwind an hour or two to see what the trim should be.   

Many  guys were in knee pads and shorty neo-pants.   My Rooster farmer John with hiking pads were ok but overkill.   The knee pads on the Roosters are rough and irritating when they slipped down.
I can connect you with Ryan and the two of you should sail together.  He's running a dacron sail and aluminum mast on the '91 Vanguard Finn.  I'm sure that he'd like more time in the boat to get a feel for it.  

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
Of course pulling on everything makes it flatter. My question is:  When do you tighten the outhaul vs inhaul?
Always set inhaul first. Just try to make the tack area look right, no huge wrinkles , not nailed forward, just make it look smooth. Outhaul is set for sea state not breeze. flat water, tight outhaul, more waves, ease outhaul just enough to make it feel right. Loosen both downwind, outhaul eases about 3" tie your safety line so that it stops the outhaul there.    

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Ideas on how to flip over on trailer a slightly overweight Finn?    By yourself?   

Custom fittings that spin on bow/stern and a engine hoist might do it?  No overhead beams for a gantry rig - this is going down in the yard.