First 40.7 keel reinforcement

Wckoek

These are good boats that are much maligned since the Cheeky Rafiki incident and hence being sold for a low price in the used market.

I have heard that there are some program that successfully modified and strengthened the keel grid structure, I wondered how would be the appropriate way to do it, and does anyone known of any boat that had successfully did the modification?

Been looking into one of these boats.

Thanks

G

They are built to rigorous maritime engineering standards

Wckoek

They are built to rigorous maritime engineering standards
Yes, but that is a subjective standard, good enough for weekend cruising or offshore/ocean races?
Have read a few post about the keel even before Cheeky Rafiki happens as I search the past posts here; along with rudder issues.

G

There are regulations governing what materials they can be made of

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I don't want to spoil the fun - but I don't want to keep Wckoek in suspense any longer than necessary either:

Last edited by a moderator:

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Jazz, a Bene 40.7, doing the Fastnet just dropped out b/c of a leak at the keel bolts so it is a current issue with these boats, especially as they age 

G

Personally I wouldnt go near one that I didnt know the history of based on the reports.  Even the best designed grids could have a sketchy installation by low wage workers on Friday afternoon. If your plan is to cruise or race in relatively sheltered water then why not but crossing oceans? Not for me.

The grid is a major item, I really cant see how you can repair one properly and with confidence without removing the interior, sectioning it out and almost starting from scratch again.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
Jazz, a Bene 40.7, doing the Fastnet just dropped out b/c of a leak at the keel bolts so it is a current issue with these boats, especially as they age 
Jazz was a First 40, not a First 40.7.

I don't know if the grid design is different between the 40.7 and 40.  I don't want to buy either of them.