First look at the AC-45

Well ok so its not in one whole piece, but we do get to see the frames! if this was AC33 we would be having a field day!

the video is here

apologies if you cannot view it outside of NZ? if not we can always email TVNZ and they will probably upload it onto youtube

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
Well ok so its not in one whole piece, but we do get to see the frames! if this was AC33 we would be having a field day!

the video is here

apologies if you cannot view it outside of NZ? if not we can always email TVNZ and they will probably upload it onto youtube
Holy shit ! This is extraordinary.

Good old Martin Tasker in the Warkworth shed and there is "Little Sister" under construction.

And then Harold Bennett saying it is all good.

Having him on side is major.

Oh what a contrast to winged-keel skirts and espionage!

Last edited by a moderator:

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist
Local angle piece on Warkworth

http://www.stuff.co....l-Rodneys-sails

CAT FIGHT: Preparing mini-versions of the America's Cup catamarans in Warkworth are BMW Oracle Warkworth finance manager Simon Ward, left, and foreman Ben Hanley. Both are Kiwis.

The battle for the Auld Mug will be good for Rodney.

Monday's announcement that the 34th America's Cup in 2013 will be fought in AC72 22-metre wingsail catamarans brought consternation to some of the teams expected to compete but will help put Warkworth on the nautical map.

BMW Oracle has been upgrading a vacant Warkworth factory it bought in 2008 to produce carbon-fibre racing yachts.

It is here six AC45 catamarans will be built, the prototype likely to be trialled in Rodney by Christmas, Warkworth team finance manager Simon Ward says.

AC45 stands for America's Cup class 45 footer, a 13.7-metre version of the cup catamarans for a world series in 2011. Many of the team members are New Zealanders.

Warkworth is pleasant for workers and visitors and with designer Tim Smyth living locally there were many good reasons to set up there, Mr Ward says.

Cup rules mean some major components of the new AC72 boats can be made here. But hulls must be built in the country of origin – the United States.

The Warkworth facility has 18 workers, expected to increase with local contractors used as much as possible.

It will also make other yachts and composite products like wind turbine blades.

The AC45 world series venue is unknown, but the distance from Warkworth won't be a problem with the catamarans light enough to be disassembled and flown there.

The America's Cup venue could be either San Francisco, home of defender the Golden Gate Yacht Club, or Rome

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
RC made a comment in one of the videos (think it's with PJM) about how NZer's will get to see a boat in their waters. I think (but am not certain) that he was referring to an AC72.

If so, then it suggests the BOR boats might get their final assembly and initial sea trials down there instead of in Anacortes. Too bad for us locals in the PNW but hopefully they will be racing hard in nearby SF soon after.

phomchick

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
RC made a comment in one of the videos (think it's with PJM) about how NZer's will get to see a boat in their waters. I think (but am not certain) that he was referring to an AC72.

If so, then it suggests the BOR boats might get their final assembly and initial sea trials down there instead of in Anacortes. Too bad for us locals in the PNW but hopefully they will be racing hard in nearby SF soon after.
That's not how I understood it. I thought he was talking about the AC45.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist

Wouldn't this be completely against CiC? (CiC is not MCable, right? Only open to interpretation, IIRC.)

Peelman

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
^

this the 34th CIC interpretation -

(g)

(i) the requirement that the yacht of a challenging yacht club be constructed in the country of the challenging yacht club, and the yacht representing the yacht club holding the America’s Cup be constructed in the country of such yacht club, shall be deemed to be satisfied by the lamination or another form of construction of the Hulls in such country. Replaceable bows and sterns, materials, moulds and other components and hardware used in or during the lamination or other form of construction of the Hulls may be obtained from any country;

(ii) a Competitor shall arrange for a member of the Measurement Committee to inspect the Hulls at the place of construction to determine whether the hulls have been constructed in accordance with this Article. An affirmation by the Measurement Committee under this clause shall be final. The Measurement Committee shall advise the Regatta Director on completion of the inspection;

(iii) for the avoidance of doubt: the fabrication, acquisition or use of any component, materials or resources used to complete an AC72 Yacht may be sourced without restriction as to their country of origin, place of fabrication, assembly, construction or development; and any such component, materials or resources must nevertheless comply with the restrictions in Article 33 and the AC72 Class Rule; and

(iv) The replacement and/or modification of any part of an AC72 Yacht that has been Launched may be undertaken in any country, even if such modification results in the yacht being deemed to be a new AC72 Yacht under Article 29.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW

That's not how I understood it. I thought he was talking about the AC45.
Thanks - thinking back to the context now, I agree.

For the AC72 too it may be better to do final assembly down there in terms of cost and timing due to weather at the time of the proposed first-boat launch. But one can think of good reasons to do it in the PNW for its large scale building capacity in Anacortes, and trialling in SF - especially if a BOR base is being set up there.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Pelman, thanks for ripping the CiC clause out of the 41 pages.

Pretty loose interpretation I would say, maybe similar to AC32 (?). Quite the difference to what GGYC was trying to use against SNG during the AC33 mess. I know AC33 was not MC, but it sounds rather strange to my ears how one DoG requirement can change that dramatically in less than a year...

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Pelman, thanks for ripping the CiC clause out of the 41 pages.

Pretty loose interpretation I would say, maybe similar to AC32 (?). Quite the difference to what GGYC was trying to use against SNG during the AC33 mess. I know AC33 was not MC, but it sounds rather strange to my ears how one DoG requirement can change that dramatically in less than a year...
Probably BOR agreeing to cost-cutting measures being asked for.

I like the idea that once constructed at home the hulls can (like in AC32 too) be modified away from home. It will make for better boats, something like the improvements that Alinghi got away with in RAK.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
From at the SButt blog

--

SIDENOTE: The events for the America’s Cup World Series in 2011 will use a new BMW Oracle Racing designed AC45 wing powered one design catamaran. Why was the much more affordable Extreme 40 not chosen instead? Apparently, the Extreme 40s were part of the early plan but it was found they could not sufficiently handle the upper wind range (events are to be sailed in 3-33 knots), and could not support wings without extending the bows.

--

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
that is interesting stinger

and i guess it helps to differentiate the events

this talk of high winds might put off ernesto, saviour of the fish,