Floating a house?

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Nice! I like people that solve their own problems! I drive a delivery barge in the islands hauling cars,trucks etc. Occasionally, I see people towing a water tank behind a boat or even moving a boat trailer back to the mainland by leaving it attached to the boat.

WL  

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
When reported on our local (Portland, ME) news site there were lots of derogatory comments and snide remarks, kinda like around here.

If you've ever been there, you know this is a total win on an island where building materials are all imported and a lot of the abandoned outports are just moldering away to nothingness.

It's unfortunate that they couldn't drag it across the ice in the winter like so many did back in the day, but even half submerged as it was, this house's life has probably been  extended by many years.

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ubaJDEhjOHs2lxKiKLsUhLtYOj7Dz4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Apparently they removed everything from the house including the bottom 4 feet of drywall down to the studs.  The owner said the water damage was minor and wouldn't create a mould issue given enough drying time.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Interesting watching the trackhoes maneuvering the house - requires both feet and 2 joysticks to make it work smoothly and when there are 2 you have to be watching each other. 

And to be technical it was a mobile home for at least some hours. 

chester

Super Anarchist
in the 50's and 60's the newfoundland government encouraged the depopulation of remote outports...they floated a LOT of houses around for a few years.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Y'all aint from Louisiana... this is not news. A friend's mom moved her antebellum home via Bayou Teche aboard a barge.

In fact, quite a few houseboats really are houses aboard old oilfield barges, some even have lawns. Few things funnier than seeing some ol'boy mow his barge.

Last edited by a moderator:

NaptimeAgain

Super Anarchist
Annapolis MD
I don't think the remarks were snide.  Just lots of practical questions.  Unclear why they didn't put it on a barge, rather than trying to float the house itself.  Did they fill the first floor with float bags?  Since they obviously had the building materials, seems it could have been simpler to barge the materials over and build on a foundation at the final location.  They obviously have heavy equipment since they were dragging the hose.  Most electrical outlets are about 18" of the ground.  Getting them submerged isn't advisable.  Their house, their choices.  Just seems like doing it the hard way.