Floating LED Torch

Ocean View

Australia
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good - waterproof - floating - high powered - LED torch?

To replace a deceased Eveready Dolphin? Dolphin Torch

It's also used for sail trimming at night - but primary reason is to be used as a man overboard - throw it over light that floats

Typically we have 2 of these torches in the cockpit at night - with an extra one down below - just in case

Last edited by a moderator:

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Re. the Dolphin Torch, I have one I use for work, That torch has had a hard life, I've dropped it that many times 1/3 of the reflector has broken off, Even after that I threw it onto a concrete floor (I was having bad day) expecting the poor thing to break into 1000 pieces but it didn't, Next time I went to use it it didn't work (surprise surprise), took it apart and found sand and gravel inside the torch, Where did that come from? I'd managed to smash the battory without smashing the torch! New battory and still goes, and still on the original lamp!

If your are upgrading the torch situation on the boat why one type of torch? I have a dolphin torch on the boat (treated better than my work one) a boat supply rechargeable spot-light and a silly little torch that is handy for checking oil and fuel levels etc. If I'm going to be on the boat after dark I also grab my LED head lamp I use for work.

Different torches for different needs and if one fails light is light.

I like the Idea of throwing a dolphin torch overboard in a MOB situation, I have a regulation automatic lifebuoy light tied to my horse-shoe but that regulation piece of equipment is crap and I count on failing just when it is needed, I need to get rid of that temperamental screw in lamp and solder in a led lamp. (##$#@# $60 for a $15 torch because it's "regulation")

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Maybe check discount scuba supply catalogs? I have many, in various vehicles and gear bags. One that has lasted for more than 20 years is a cheap un-branded thing that may have actually come as a free-extra with some purchase. (I like it because it's so cheap that it turns itself on by pressure squeeze when you get below 10 feet, and off again when you surface - not a design feature, but handy.) For some of them, whether it floats or not depends on what kind of batteries you put in.

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
I have a regulation automatic lifebuoy light tied to my horse-shoe but that regulation piece of equipment is crap and I count on failing just when it is needed, I need to get rid of that temperamental screw in lamp and solder in a led lamp. (##$#@# $60 for a $15 torch because it's "regulation")
I have the same crap light, but it cost $100 up here in Canada!

Ocean View

Australia
$100 in canada - :blink: Sorry to tell you they are on special for $10 in the local supermarket - but I'd prefer a LED version if possible.

Reason we like them is here - 1987 advert

re the lifebouy light - grab the new flashing LED version - so bright compared to the old screw bulb version.

Our MOB drill is -at least 1 x Torch straight away so it is close by them - Then the dan bouy and life ring etc which normally would take longer to get deployed - even 10 seconds longer is time you don't need heading away from someone in the water at night without as many lights as possible near them . We've never had a MOB - never want it to happen either. !!!

And yep we also have cig lighter led torches, headlamps etc

Latest posts