Flooded kitchen anarchy - episode 1 (AKA what kind of floor to get)

@Borax Johnson  "we should get a budget"

I hope this is true.   Sadly my experience has been anything but.   Can you wait till the $ are in your hands?

@VWAP's concrete floor idea is the best for certain climates.  Cold in the North though.  Or radiant heat?  No thanks.

If I lived where it was warm, the polished concrete floor in the kitchen looks attractive.
With heat in it, it's heaven and almost indestructible.

My dream flooring in a kitchen is terrazo.  Heated.

http://buildnaturally.blogspot.com/2014/01/adobe-floor-basics-how-to-build-dirt.html

Adobe Floor Basics - How to build a dirt cheap floor

Seems crazy, right?  A dirt floor, of all things!  Well, time for a perception shift...

Adobe floors are lusciously beautiful and quite durable.  And best of all, in most regions they can be made from local clay soil.  (Which makes them dirt cheap...sorry, couldn't resist.)

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Dishwasher had a leak sinceMay when (apparently) the LG guy didn't get the supply line tight. Drip drip drip for 5 months+.

Getting about 95% of the floor redone - it was all Formica fake wood. I know we will get a budget to match what we had. So, the question is:

Given what we had, what are our potions? I have been told "high end waterproof vinyl wood"(?!?).

What is the 2020 Info for the US - California in particular, because our Governor doesn't need a legislature. Just a pen (no PA jab there, just frustration).

Two more related posts coming soon.....
Absolutely bulletproof for a slab floor, but usually too costly, is terrazzo.  We have that throughout the house and it can take anything.  But it's not all that attractive.  We put CoreTec over it.  It's completely waterproof but if water gets under it, you have to hope it evaporates before mold forms.

In the last house I installed Pergo.  This was the original stuff you glue together.  20 years after installing, it looked almost new and was completely waterproof, but the perimeter has to be sealed or water can get in that way and ruin the floor.

No matter what flooring you install, if it's over a wood substrate, the perimeter must be sealed well enough so water can't get underneath.  Not an easy thing to do.  For a little peace of mind, you could put a drip pan under the DW if you can find a place to drain it off.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
FUCK LG!!!

I had 2 dishwashers fail the same way in 2 different properties about 2 months apart - shit water pump and fucked up the floors. Also had issues with LG washer and dyers...

I run from that brand now...

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Armstrong solid vinyl (Tiles or sheet). It's damned near bullet proof, and can be quite attractive. I like solid colors, but right now it seems that faux stone, or wood is in.

(Don't get the "peel and stick" stuff. get the tiles or sheet that you have to trowel mastic onto the floor to get it set.)

Timo42

Super Anarchist
I'd plan on base cabinets and the sheetrock behind them, subfloor if it isn't concrete slab. I put bamboo down throughout the house aside from the kitchen and bath, floating over that thin foam material they use, but glued together so it's all one piece. If you are anywhere near local, I have about 20 of the strap clamps you need to glue it together. Pain in the knees, but it is dog proof, waterproof, and macaw resistant...Did slate tile in the kitchen, it's kind of soft and uneven, scratches easily, but it's hard to tell.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
My godparents had natural cleft bluestone floors. THICK, like 2" or more. Talk about a beautiful, destruction proof floor..... But you kinda need to put floors like that in when you pour the slab, before framing starts.

Borax Johnson

Anarchist
Homeowners insurance is picking up all but the deductible. Base cabinets, cooktop  and counters coming out tomorrow, They were instructed to try and salvage the frames. Dunno if they can.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Homeowners insurance is picking up all but the deductible. Base cabinets, cooktop  and counters coming out tomorrow, They were instructed to try and salvage the frames. Dunno if they can.
Good luck.  Are the base cabinets sides made of ply or particle board? If particle board they may already have swelled.  Any veneer on that will fail soon.  Finish matching with upper cabinets might be tough either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
If you can find some old stock "Congolium" that is the best kitchen flooring ever made.

Salvaging the frames will be more work (and $ if it's done properly), than building new, by a lot.

gptyk

Anarchist
California
As all things, "It depends"  - slab? over joists? etc...

My #1 pick for a decent looking no maintenance flooring right now would indeed be what is termed "Luxury Vinyl Plank"  Almost impossible to destroy, impervious to water, looks reasonably decent. Great for kids and pets. Then tile, and/or fake wood tile. (there's some really high-end fake-wood porcelain tile out there right now that's awesome) Indestructible, looks great, costs some $ (+ underlayment prep if you're not on a slab) Then engineered hardwood, then laminate "hardwood" then Real $$$$ Hardwood (which I will never put in a kitchen again...my personal tale of woe was a Kitchen Aid steam oven that popped a leak and destroyed 1200sf of wood.... ). 

I find the vinyl looks as good as the laminate, softer feel underfoot, and you can flood the shit and it's fine. That last feature is a great one. Dog slobber, wet boots, whatever, doesn't care. It's freakin plastic...

Oh, and on the latest part of the thread, you're going to get all new cabinets because the $$$$ for some tradesperson to fix em is going to be way more than just new cabs.