Florence

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I read an interesting piece this morning that mentioned that Flo could absorb that Invest 94 which is ahead of it. According to the article, that is what Katrina did a day before it hit New Orleans and caused it to double in size in 24 hours. I'm surprised that Tidbits didn't mention that possibility but perhaps he will tonight.

https://www.newsweek.com/bad-thing-florence-could-do-think-hurricane-katrina-2005-1112835

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/728507/Hurricane-Storm-Florence-North-South-Carolina-Katrina-US-weather

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
It is storming pretty good right now. Trees down all over the place and flooding. I tied up my furling jib and added extra lines and gave a thought for everyone bashing into it getting home from the Oxford Race.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
We snuck over from Shaw Bay to St. Mike's this morning before the wind picked up. 

We're soaked and rocking. The reverse transom makes a hell of a bang once in a while. 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
It’s blowing pretty hard from the East in Barnegat Bay. Twinbro said he went to check on my boat since I’m out of town  and he couldn’t get aboard. 

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Florence is going to dump rain on saturated ground - we are getting minor flooding now from the other one :(
Rainfall from tropical storm records by state:

Something to note...Check out the Western States. 

No doubt Dry Armor will be all over  whats looming out there.

Storm's a brewin'!

tcstatemaxima.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Marine Traffic shows a clearing out of traffic around Florence. Seems the lesson from the El Faro that went down in Jaoquin in the Caribbean in 2015 was learnt.

I wonder if anyone has tried to "animate" Marine Traffic which might show the tracks of ships avoiding a hurricane.

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
maybe moving more northward ?  Devastating for NC.  Further flooding for the Chesapeake....

06L_tracks_latest.png

Has any one heard or seen any FEMA staging in the East Coast near the Carolinas. This ain’t Puerto Rico. Thought after a direct hit on the US Mainland much of the area will look like Puerto Rico after Miria mover through. I have interest in the Durham NC area.

LarryE

Anarchist
Florida
I have been through 11 hurricanes, including Andrew. I feel for anyone taking a direct hit.

What people don't realize is after the winds die down, the problems are just beginning. It took some people several years to fully recover from Andrew. Some never did.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Has any one heard or seen any FEMA staging in the East Coast near the Carolinas. This ain’t Puerto Rico. Thought after a direct hit on the US Mainland much of the area will look like Puerto Rico after Miria mover through. I have interest in the Durham NC area.
In this post-Katrina election year, zero doubt they've already been on it. 

By next week there will be TV worthy  flooding in Hawaii Texas and the Carolinas to the Ohio Valley and New York... Along with Cantore narrated hurricane effects all the way from Savannah to New Jersey.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Hello and maybe goodbye from Bofort, NC. If it's as predicted, we're on the bad side at landfall. I've been thru a bunch of these but maybe not like this. We'll see.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Younger daughter manages a flower shop on Johns Island, in Charleston.  She posted a weather map prediction of next weekend on Facebook, and said that there will be a lot of disappointed brides then!!  I think the bulk of their business is weddings, since Charleston is the 2nd most popular destination wedding location, right after Lost Wages.....

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
In this post-Katrina election year, zero doubt they've already been on it. 

By next week there will be TV worthy  flooding in Hawaii Texas and the Carolinas to the Ohio Valley and New York... Along with Cantore narrated hurricane effects all the way from Savannah to New Jersey.
This will be an issue.  A Cat 4 coming into the Carolinas will bring widespread flooding, massive electrical distribution damage with millions of acres of downed timber (mostly pine) in the target zone.  If the system stalls inland (roughly NW NC, SW Virginia, lower Shenandoah Valley area) as some forecasters are calling for then catastrophic flooding and prolonged higher winds.  

As it develops, my biggest worry on the Mid-Chesapeake Western Shore is the saturated soil and high winds the KIS mentioned a couple of days ago. Similar setup to Irene where strong TS winds took out power to 95% of my county.  I lost 18 mature hardwoods (up to 34" in diameter) with 3 damaged cars (one totaled) and several outbuildings destroyed and 37 power poles down between me and the substation.  It took 12 days to get power back on.  Fortunately, I have a whole house generator and a 550 gallon underground propane tank so I can make it 3-4 weeks with decent conservation practices.  If we get Cat 1 to 3 winds in Mid Chesapeake (with the destruction path from Hatteras through Tidewater to Baltimore), it will be biblical.  

Utility company shared assistance teams do a great job and are usually staged to arrive 1-2 days after the storm.  Around here, they come from the zones that are in the crosshairs so a large damage path will stress response teams extensively.  

If it closes in on the "Low Country" as it seems to be headed, our thoughts are going to be with you.  Been a long time since you took that kind of hit.