Flying Coney - 82 foot conversion to tall ship

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Olsalt tacheman  is a bit shy about starting his own s anarchy thread

so here is one 

highly cred  ex cat racers - one with big hair and one with exciting tache buy a massive 82 foot liability and plan to change it into a tall ship

the steering wheel is the size of jacuzzi

fekkin admirable

bloomin insane

he says this is his favourite forum and he will answer questions

no kids in the series but two pet rabbits

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
People have done this.  Wylde Swan is a conversion.  We met Willem when he owned Swan Fan Makkum.  He now owns Wylde Swan.

Olsalt

On the water
Thank you for opening this tread! Today I spend in the dinghy driving bilge water to the pump out station. 15 gallons at a time, I lost count but could be 8 times by now... Not sure where the water is coming from. 

I've seen the Wylde Swan in Harlingen. The biggest tops'l schooner in the world! Lovely ship. There is also the tall ship Avatar wich was converted to a sailing ship only a few years back. Similar dimension like my trawler but the rig is optimized for speed and I think we would aim for easier handling. 

Also I have to say we are in for a long time project. Hopefully we can finish in 5-10 years! But the ship is big enough to restore one part and live in another part. Now the first step is to conserve the hull from the outside and the inside. Then we have a look at how much money is left... 

accnick

Super Anarchist
I watched the first few videos, and enjoyed them a lot. Good luck with this project. 

You guys seem like the type of people who can see this through successfully.

Not quite sure what to think about the pet rabbits,  although they may be very practical boat pets.

Olsalt

On the water
Not quite sure what to think about the pet rabbits,  although they may be very practical boat pets.
I'm sure about it. Don't do it! Bunnys are difficult pets, especially if you want to keep them alive. They are very expensive and you need specialized vets. When they feel uncomfortable they stop eating, when they stop eating they get a colic and then they die. You have about 6-12 hours to recognize that and treat them and they tend to have problems with their teeth, then you become good friends with your vet... Rabbits are probably the worst pet animals around! 

The white one we found on a parking lot on lake Garda. She was hoppedi poppeding around while we were on our evening walk, it was a miracle that she was not run over by a car. Our gray girl, Eileen, is approaching her 10th birthday and still going strong. We bought her to give another bunny company we rescued from a shoe box sized barn on a balcony. Please, whatever you do, never buy a bunny from a pet shop. 

They do like it on our ship because the have the whole room to play around and we are not sailing much. I don't think it's a good idea to go on longer voyages with them. But for a few hours it's ok and we are not planning on doing extended cruising anywhere soon! If we have to there are also animal hotels for a few days... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
One of the reasons I love Cruising Anarchy - the depth and breadth of the discussion here.  One day it’s nautical engineering, storm anchoring, or coneys, the next it’s weather routing, road bike customization, Dyneema and dinghies.

Anyway - I’ve just gone down the rabbit hole of the Internet.  I had no idea what a coney was (which led to a link about the possible origins of a place many [North] Americans are familiar with or have at least heard of: Coney Island).

Go Coneys! :)

Do you have backers supporting your project?  Could you eventually use the vessel as a sail training facility à la S.A.L.T.S.?  How do you even begin to learn how to re-rig such a vessel?  (I find it challenging enough doing the rig and sail work, and other stuff, I’m currently doing to prepare for offshore.)

Olsalt

On the water
Never say rabbit on a boat so we thought coney is a better idea. Someone also told me that the word coney is not used that much because it has a bawdy note to it as well, what is totally appropriate for a boat! Also the last name "Cunningham" is probably related to the big eared ones. Coney Island was most likely named by dutch sailors. It also has a nice vintage hint if you ask me... If you wonder why the boat is flying, that's because of our foiling past on the Nacra 17. We only had 3 days to come up with a new name and if someone dares to say that that brings bad luck as well, I'm looking at you @KramN, by the amount of names she already had we probably just re renamed her. 

Could you eventually use the vessel as a sail training facility à la S.A.L.T.S.?
The worst worst case scenario would be just to conserve the hull, built a simple and flexible Interior into her and use her as a kind of mobile houseboat. More in some town and start a normal day job and that was that. At the moment we put a lot of time into the videos and we really hope to entertain you guys. I want to play with open cards here so I have to admit that Patreon and sponsorships are something we hope for in the future. We do like to make the videos but it also slows everything down. It's like 2 days of work on the boat, usually 12 hour days, and 4 days of editing. So we have to find a way to manage our work- work balance. 

The Netherlands are probably the best country to approach a project like this. There are a lot of even crazier projects around. So the first thing to do is go into a harbor where these boats are moored, probably Harlingen or Den Helder, bring some beers and talk to the people who had done what we want do do. Recently someone just sent me his rigging plans for a similar but slightly taler ship. The biggest issue with the rig are the costs. Not everything can be done DIY. The time in the yard is also not that bad, but we are talking about 150 000€ (about). Maybe we start with just the steel masts and a "motorsailer" rig. Later add the topmasts, the bowsprit and the yards and so on. What we can do is to find parts nobody needs to keep costs down. Recently a wooden ship sank in the harbor in Germany, she was scraped and I believe the masts where scraped as well. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, Olsalt said:

A little bit of clickbait and a lot of stinking, oily, black water... 

Note: when a headline is posed as a question, the answer is usually "no."

Really enjoyed the section on the batteries. When I worked in the design of slightly smaller ocean-going motoryachts, we always specified tall, 2-volt batteries for building banks, whatever the final voltage, in large part because the separate 2-volt cells are a lot easier to handle than massive self-contained higher-voltage batteries.

Keep those videos coming.

Olsalt

On the water
Note: when a headline is posed as a question, the answer is usually "no."
We didn't wanted to be too catchy in the title especially because of the thumbnail. 

But the stuffing box is definitely something we need to keep an eye on. We scooped, well Barbara scooped out 25kg of old grease that ended up on in the bilge. She said that the bilge water was a bubble bath compared to the smell of that stuff. But we found the cause of our bilge water problem, at least half of it because there's also water coming from the saloon area. Haul out it is... 

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
New video just dropped. These guys are definitely growing on me. I still think they might be crazy but it looks like they are enjoying themselves and it is entertaining.

Olsalt

On the water
The video was a bit late because we underestimated the expense and had a difficult week in general. Usually we try to upload on Sunday. If you have any additional questions to the video or the boat feel free to ask and for your convenience here is the Link: