Flying Coney - 82 foot conversion to tall ship

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Funny seeing this ship being resurrected again! I used to sail on the brigantine Bounty from the Batavia haven which can be seen in the background of many shots! Bounty itself is visible at 6:42 in the first video.

Bounty has a very similar origin, having been built as a trawler and then converted to a tall ship. When sailing past, I would often point to Flying Coney/ex Sally as an example of what Bounty used to look like before her conversion.

Good luck on the project!

5u4ktnwy6r-full.jpg

Olsalt

On the water
Bounty has a very similar origin, having been built as a trawler and then converted to a tall ship.
That's good to know! From the dimensions she looks quite similar and I think she even has less freeboard than we have. Bounty inspired us to the idea to lower the quarterdeck on bulwark hight. I always enjoyed it when those guys dared to sail inside of the wavebreaker without the engine on. They really know their boat and how to sail.
We have published a new video. Yet another boat tour... but that one gives you a much better overview and well it's an (almost) full tour. We filmed it right after we had bought the boat. What do you think? Scrap the whole interior or actually not that bad?

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
That's good to know! From the dimensions she looks quite similar and I think she even has less freeboard than we have. Bounty inspired us to the idea to lower the quarterdeck on bulwark hight. I always enjoyed it when those guys dared to sail inside of the wavebreaker without the engine on. They really know their boat and how to sail.
We have published a new video. Yet another boat tour... but that one gives you a much better overview and well it's an (almost) full tour. We filmed it right after we had bought the boat. What do you think? Scrap the whole interior or actually not that bad?

Here's a picture of Bounty in her first life as Z581 Uranus:

60195_z-581-uranus-bouwjaar-1954-keert-terug-van-visvangst.jpg

Bounty always surprises me how well she actually sails. Despite being very wide and full, she is easily driven under sail and leaves a very clean wake - good ship!

Olsalt

On the water
Finally we reached chapter three in the restoration project. Let's get started with the work!

We made some progress in the decision making regarding the coating. It turned out that the black stuff coating the inside of the hull is probably the reason why the boat still exists and it's probably superior even to modern epoxy coatings. Also it would be a nightmare to strip it off. So just top it up and good for another 72years? Yes and no and it depends. If the coating is made from oil aka bitumen we can leave it on if it's made out of coal aka tar it's probably better to get it off because of the potential health risk. Until we have a sample checked for PAK we do not know and we treat it like it would contain PAK. So respirator time it is (Also because it makes the smell bearable) Any opinions?

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Only on wooden boats!

Anyway, they are not rabbits, they are coneys!
Not sure whether it’s a coincidence but the Irish for rabbit is conin, pronounced cunneen, so it’s possible that the coney you mention is a bastardisation of this Irish word. If some sailors landed on a previously nondescript island inhabited by rabbits, they might well have named it after the little cuties.

Last edited:

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
love the self deprecating approach,

As for spending good money on a bunny.....

Boat looks like one heck of a challenge.... goodonya

KramN

Hi,
I was wondering if you have costed out this project and have some sort of timelines laid out. It's a pretty big project to take on for two people.
Do you plan on hiring a refit team ? What is the business plan once refit ?
Cheers !

Munz

Regardless of if it's coal tar or not, unless the interior coating obviously has rust underneath, or is peeling off, I'd leave it in place (overcoat it with epoxy mastic or similar if you're worried about toxicity issues...).

Olsalt

On the water
Finally found the cause for all the water in the bilge. We literally filled it up ourselves everytime we filled up the water tank. A big annoying to convert drinking water into dirty bilge water, fill it in to barrels and cans and sail it in the dinghy to the pump out station because your boat has two meters too much draft to go there.
We also made progress in the decision making and we have planned to take the boat out probably in September or so. Initially we have planned to do quite a lot of things in the yard including sandblasting the foreship and the saloon from the inside. But with the removing of all the interior and the cork isolation it would take at least three additional month until we are ready for the haul out. So we thought it's maybe better to make a quick haul out now, have a look, put one or two layers of antifoul on, change the zincs, renew the stuffing box and back in the water. So about 5-10 days and 3500€ without any big surprises. Keep your fingers crossed!

New video is out!

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Finally found the cause for all the water in the bilge. We literally filled it up ourselves everytime we filled up the water tank. A big annoying to convert drinking water into dirty bilge water, fill it in to barrels and cans and sail it in the dinghy to the pump out station because your boat has two meters too much draft to go there.
We also made progress in the decision making and we have planned to take the boat out probably in September or so. Initially we have planned to do quite a lot of things in the yard including sandblasting the foreship and the saloon from the inside. But with the removing of all the interior and the cork isolation it would take at least three additional month until we are ready for the haul out. So we thought it's maybe better to make a quick haul out now, have a look, put one or two layers of antifoul on, change the zincs, renew the stuffing box and back in the water. So about 5-10 days and 3500€ without any big surprises. Keep your fingers crossed!

New video is out!

Looking at the rust scale on the internal plating, I foresee a lot of quality time with a needle gun in your future...

FKT

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
when they stop eating they get a colic and then they die. You have about 6-12 hours to recognize that and treat them and they tend to have problems with their teeth, then you become good friends with your vet... Rabbits are probably the worst pet animals around!
Sounds like colic problems with horses. Difference is, when the horse twists a gut (after a bad case of colic) one is faced with some serious financial strain if they are to be saved, and then only if a major veterinarian hospital is very near by. (found at either a major race track or a veterinarian teaching hospital) if not the choices get real narrow real quick. The choices are to have the horse humanly put down or watch it suffer a slow and exceptionally painful death. Anyway the real difference is, If one is weathy, and owns horses, the vet loves you, if one is not wealthy, the vet either pities you or hates you (because the bill is gonna be paid late because the bill is gonna be Very High)

As make it a point to check horses regularly as in at least twice a day if not more. Catch it quick, administer some Banamine, and plan on spending the rest of the night baby sitting them to make sure they are recovered.
Recently someone just sent me his rigging plans for a similar but slightly taler ship. The biggest issue with the rig are the costs. Not everything can be done DIY. The time in the yard is also not that bad, but we are talking about 150 000€ (about). Maybe we start with just the steel masts and a "motorsailer" rig. Later add the topmasts, the bowsprit and the yards and so on. What we can do is to find parts nobody needs to keep costs down.
Never under estimate the cost of rigging (or re-rigging) Its gonna cost.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
The biggest issue with the rig are the costs. Not everything can be done DIY.
If you learn how to splice galvanized wire rope, and how to worm, parcel and serve, I think you could pretty much rig a 'tall ship' on your own. Or so I am told. Never had anything to do with that sort of project. I can just about manage a Nicopress or a Sta-Loc fitting.

Olsalt

On the water
Not sure whether it’s a coincidence but the Irish for rabbit is conin, pronounced cunneen, so it’s possible that the coney you mention is a bastardisation of this Irish word.
I love the Irish culture, music and accent! Big Dubliners fan since 20 years. Also I think there are quite a lot similarities between Irish people and Austrians. Dark morbide humor, the drinking... and the fact that we like to be somehow unhappy.
The latin word for bunny is "cuniculus" so I think that's where it all started. But I've been told that the word coney was replaced because it could also mean some specific parts of a lady, so I think thats pretty much appropriate for a ships name.
I was wondering if you have costed out this project and have some sort of timelines laid out. It's a pretty big project to take on for two people.
Do you plan on hiring a refit team ? What is the business plan once refit ?
To be honest, not really. We have calculated how much it costs us to restore the hull and convert her into a usable houseboat with the possibility to do costal passages. Also we think we have enough money to make her usable for day passengers so that we can attend at harbor festivals like Kieler Week. The time frame for that is two years.
I'm not so much concerned about the labor of the refit but the financial side is a bit more difficult. It depends a little bit how YouTube develops. If people are interested into becoming patreons and so on. So far we are quite happy how many people enjoy watching our videos and we are still improving (I hope) each week.
We are not playing hiring a refit team. But haul outs and time on the hard is quite expensive. You can make arrangements that the yard takes you out just infant of their Hollidays and you can work while they are away, but that needs planning. So sometime it's just cheaper the hire their labor as well to reduce the time on the hard. That's what we replanting for the next haul out. But in the future it would be great to have some volunteers helping us out a little bit. Also we have planned to change location depending on what's the biggest task on the ship. At the moment this is steel work and de-rusting. The Netherlands are a good place to be for that kind of work. As soon as we start with woodworking we probably head over to Germany. One of the benefits of having the boat in working order.
overcoat it with epoxy mastic
Very interesting product. Sound interesting as a coating but the rust as to go. Still think zinc arcspraying is probably the best method as soon as the hull is blasted to white metal. But the topcoat hasn't been decided yet. Unfortunately the bitumen / tar already failed in many places. Especially behind the cork isolation. So it's probably better to get it off and start with a new coating.
Sounds like colic problems with horses.
Horses are just big rabbits. It's easier to find a vet for horses but it's also more expensive. But no more animals for us...

I think you could pretty much rig a 'tall ship' on your own.
That's probably true but the rig is probably the most dangerous thing on a tall ship. Since we plan to use the boat commercially and rigging is not the most labor intensive thing at the moment I think we will hire the standing rigging and the sailmaking out. Still there are many projects to cut costs down like manufacturing own blocks and so on.

Olsalt

On the water
This time Barbara shows you the complete engine room aboard our little ship. We put a lot of work into the video and hope you like it. Please enjoy and as always I'm here if you have any further questions.