Flying dutchman question

Robert Gordon

Oakville
Hi, I recently bought a "new" flying dutchman  (circa 1986).  My previous one was from 1959. hence the new.

On the new one there is two giant holes in the deck. What are they? Should they have caps? if not why?

If so, what should the caps be... round hard foam??

Thx from Canada

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
A picture of where they are could help a lot. If they are on either side of the mast and especially if there isn't a tube in the bow ahead of the forestay, they are probably for the spinnaker.

Robert Gordon

Oakville
images
   Not my boat   - but you can see one of the holes in this photo beside the mast.

The spinnaker has a hole at the very front of the boat on mine.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Waterat 505s have a bow launcher but they also have bags next to the mast in case a team wants to use the boat as a bag boat.  Recently they've been putting caps on those bag holes when not in use.

Waterat 505s have a bow launcher but they also have bags next to the mast in case a team wants to use the boat as a bag boat.  Recently they've been putting caps on those bag holes when not in use.
The bag holes are quite useful for rigging. As the xsp hulls are now made with it.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I'd love to see their 505.  I'm easing my way back into the 505 class though easing with the Worlds coming up in 2023 may not be an option. 
I thought we were going to do the Worlds in Annapolis but my kid's schooling got in the way. As he is the skipper not much we could do about it

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I thought we were going to do the Worlds in Annapolis but my kid's schooling got in the way. As he is the skipper not much we could do about it
That's too bad that it didn't work out but great that you're sailing with your son!  My boys are 8 and 3 and the 8yo has been sailing on the Melges 24.  Looking forward to the day that I have my boys sailing with me more...hopefully.

I just found the old story of Mike Holt borrowing an Fremantle XSP hull for an event in Europe from the German distributor. I remember reading the story. I clicked on the link to the distributor and it's gone. I'm guessing, with little brain power involved, that it's the Fremantle molds in Singapore.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Very good on the 8 yo. I was somewhere around that age when I first soloed a Sunfish on the Schuylkill. (In later years, a friend of mine put his FD on the Schuylkill and I put my 505 on at the same time and we went ripping up and down, dodging the single sculls. A small audience formed--a group of nuns. Nobody else seemed to appreciate that magic was happening that day :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
Somewhere in the back of my mind I have a memory that Bret Perry who does the Bar Karate podcast had something to do with XSP.

Not sure if he's on SA these days but you could chase it up through them if you wanted.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
So, does that mean they are just holes to keep extra sails in etc.  like the storm jib...
I think that the short answer is yes.  Access for doing the rigging, storage for a dry bag and food. Most don't bother with extra sails on a boat like an FD or 505. With the FD, if you want to shorten sail, just roll up the jib/genoa or put a reef point in your main.  The 505s put a reefing line in the sail so when the mast is raked far aft that you can shorten the leech a little and get the boom out of the cockpit.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I think that the short answer is yes.  Access for doing the rigging, storage for a dry bag and food. Most don't bother with extra sails on a boat like an FD or 505. With the FD, if you want to shorten sail, just roll up the jib/genoa or put a reef point in your main.  The 505s put a reefing line in the sail so when the mast is raked far aft that you can shorten the leech a little and get the boom out of the cockpit.
I even put another reef above that too on mine.

Latest posts