Flying Tiger 13.8

H20

Super Anarchist
CT, USA
Crikey Bob, that's a little out of character from what I've seen of your postings here.
BIAM has valid points, there were serious build issues with the initial boats. DA MAN didn't handle these in a very professional manner IMO. He has been rude, abrupt and pretty bloody arrogant in response to some of these problems. He may be a perfect gentleman in real life but his online persona, at times, does not reflect that. The FT was conceived here on SA. The FT went through gestation here on SA. I hope the FT reaches old age here on SA. It's a public forum and people will express their opinions.

Before anybody starts, stick your hull number up your arse! (I couldn't be fucked clicking a smiley face, K)
I don't think it's out of character. Fitting in fact. I think Da Man probably told Biam and company to fuck off early on, and the world gets to enjoy their sour grapes forever seemingly. Ego thing I suppose.

I think you are wrong about Da Man not handling problems in a professional manner as well. The problems have been fixed, owners are happy, and there are no lawyers involved as far as I know. Many boat builders talk pretty but have some very unhappy customers. You choose.

Biam's latest personification of affection for Perry is really kind of off putting in a psyco killer sort of way. Nobody is buying it. He only exists to bitch on internet forums and it is a pathetic existance.

Valid points? Being able to sing the same sad song over ond over does not validate anything. I had a bird with a bigger vocabulary. It's like listening to Stairway to fucking heaven on the radio. ENOUGH already. But it will go on because it can.

I don't have a hull number either.

us7070

Super Anarchist
Crikey Bob, that's a little out of character from what I've seen of your postings here.
BIAM has valid points, there were serious build issues with the initial boats. DA MAN didn't handle these in a very professional manner IMO. He has been rude, abrupt and pretty bloody arrogant in response to some of these problems. He may be a perfect gentleman in real life but his online persona, at times, does not reflect that. The FT was conceived here on SA. The FT went through gestation here on SA. I hope the FT reaches old age here on SA. It's a public forum and people will express their opinions.

Before anybody starts, stick your hull number up your arse! (I couldn't be fucked clicking a smiley face, K)

BIAM deserves whatever he gets from Bob, and everyone else associated with the FT-10.

Bob, DA MAN, and everyone else involved set out to build a new boat, at an unheard of price point, and they did it in a new way - with nearly everything out in the open.

BIAM comes along and every day whines like a baby about "issues" - name a new boat that doesn't have issues..., and what about all the boats who's issues we never heard about because it was all done on the quiet.

You can't do something new - in any field - without having "issues". Anyone who thought the FT-10 could be delivered without at least a few "issues" has almost certainly never done anything original in their lives - that's OK, the world needs worker drones too.

Of course, the first FT13.8 will have issues - yes, there is even a risk that the whole thing will be a bust. Bold moves require balls. But, there is also definitely such a thing as excess caution - Annapolis 30????

Bush_is_a_moron

Super Anarchist
Wow, I'm not feeling much love here boys....

chill out, its only a boat...

I was merely pointing out that carbon fiber construction is not a simple step up from using a chopper gun, and anyone buying this boat would be well advised to check out the builders credentials using CF....the material is far less forgiving if someone screws up....

apparently, that advice is hitting some raw nerves.....

Bush_is_a_moron

Super Anarchist

Grumpy, you still enjoying that Antigua race week hat? Man, I'll tell you the mail sure is slow coming the other way.....

akaGP

Super Anarchist
Chris, as someone who has put his $ in, WTF have you bought??? Where is your boat name in any results page with your name beside it? You sometimes have posted with constuctive info but more often than not you have allowed youself to get lumped in with idiots like BIAM who have nothing better to do than to tear someone or something else down. I don't expect you guys to stop doing this but you should know what a tool 99% of the people who post here( owners and non-owners alike) think you are. BTW we are laughing at you not with you.

now back to your regular programming.
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be allowed to share my opinion after all I have throughout a little over 40 years only owned something like 14 sailboats (I don't count the powerboats) - actually make that 15 and currently only own 1 and a 1/2 - one of which will give the FT a fair run for it's money - the other (my half-share) is a more classic cold moulded mahagony boat and certainly not in that speed range - but has a huge OD class.

So given that you own a FT I should shut up, bow to your wisdom and ask for your advise in everything ralated to boats and boat ownership - makes sense.....................or maybe not

Maybe you are the one lumping yourself in with idiots.............
Kirk,

Since Christian refused to answer your question by using his Danish tap dance routine, here are the results from two major Chicago Regattas.

2008 Chicago NOOD Regatta / PHRF-3 (17 boats)

Place / # / Boat Name / Owner / Rating / Boat Type / R1 / R2 / R3 / R4 / R5 / R6 / R7 / Total

13 / 93239 / Wanda / Christian Jensen / 66 / Viper 830 / 14 / 11 / 9 / 14 / 15 / 13 /18 dnc / 94

2008 Verve Cup Regatta / PHRF 4 (7 boats)

Place / # / Yacht Name / Owner / Yacht Club / Rating / R1 / R2 / R3 / R4 / R5 / R6 / R7 / Total

5 / USA 93239 / Wanda / Christian Jensen / RORC, CCYC / 66 / 4 / 6 / 6 / 5 / 5 / 3 / 4 / 33.0

Last edited by a moderator:

akaGP

Super Anarchist
Last edited by a moderator:

QMN

Anarchist
how is it that the formost experts / commentators / detractors (of the FT ), who have NOT had any direct contact the boats, have infinitely more wisdom about our Flying Tiger boats than we as owners, builder, and designer together have .

if all of this sage wisdom is considered a source of wealth, why then are they still paupers

Kapt'n Kirk

Chris, as someone who has put his $ in, WTF have you bought??? Where is your boat name in any results page with your name beside it? You sometimes have posted with constuctive info but more often than not you have allowed youself to get lumped in with idiots like BIAM who have nothing better to do than to tear someone or something else down. I don't expect you guys to stop doing this but you should know what a tool 99% of the people who post here( owners and non-owners alike) think you are. BTW we are laughing at you not with you.now back to your regular programming.
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be allowed to share my opinion after all I have throughout a little over 40 years only owned something like 14 sailboats (I don't count the powerboats) - actually make that 15 and currently only own 1 and a 1/2 - one of which will give the FT a fair run for it's money - the other (my half-share) is a more classic cold moulded mahagony boat and certainly not in that speed range - but has a huge OD class.

So given that you own a FT I should shut up, bow to your wisdom and ask for your advise in everything ralated to boats and boat ownership - makes sense.....................or maybe not

Maybe you are the one lumping yourself in with idiots.............
Chris,

I completely retract any comments regarding your not owning boats or understanding what ownership involves. I will take at face value your ownership history. A Viper 830 is also a very cool sport boat and not having owned one or sailed one I would not dream of commenting on your experience. I guess that 's my only sticking point I have with you. Maybe you know an owner of a Tiger closely so as to have first hand knowledge of what these boat are like, I don't know. I just think some of your recent comments where overly critical of our (my) boat and its builder and that will get under the skin of owners like me who love this boat and want to see it succeed. I would not dream of publicly dumping on the Viper or its builders because I have no knowledge of its program. I would suggest you try staying on the sidelines with the negativity. If someones choses to buy a 13.8 I am sure he or she will do their own due diligence. I know that Bill and company have done an incredible job of bringing the FT10 to market and it "appears" the 7.5 will follow suit. I believe this group will be able to produce a Carbon 13.8 that will be well built and a very desirable boat. That's all I have.

Lazy Guy

Super Anarchist
Isn't it from a Beach Boys tune?

"Help me Wanda, help, help me Wanda,

Help me Wanda, help, help me Wanda

Help me Wanda, yeah, eat her out in my car......."

( * Hint - search IMDB for a Kevin Kline/John Cleese/Jamie Lee Curtiss vehicle)

Grumpy, you still enjoying that Antigua race week hat? Man, I'll tell you the mail sure is slow coming the other way.....
The hat's a killer mate. I reckon there's an Indo postal worker walking around right now in a Grumpy shirt. Might have to be a hand delivery old mate....

Bush_is_a_moron

Super Anarchist
The hat's a killer mate. I reckon there's an Indo postal worker walking around right now in a Grumpy shirt. Might have to be a hand delivery old mate....
Ok, that is going to piss me off....some postal worker in MY shirt!

Damn, its not right.....

Pavook

can we get back to talking about the 13.8 and stop the bashing.

I for one am VERY interested in the boat and would appreciate more info. wading through 40 posts of all of you bitch slapping each other is ... irritating. go away.

Loco, any thoughts on how much transport will cost? wont be in a container. But with shipping haivng fallen off a cliff, might even be cheaper today to ship a 44 than the ft10 was last year.

Bob, As i have suggested in theh past, a retracting keel and removable rudder would be fantastic. would make the boat much more easily trailerable. perhaps not behind an SUV, but if you dont have to detatch the keel it save buckelt loads of dough on the transport side.

I second the liftable keel- TransPac costs come way down if we can ship back on a car carrier.

The other thing are through-hulls for kelp windows and a darn good set-up for a cutter. Hot Rum 1 was terrible- we caught so much kelp that it became impossible to race.

Which brings me to another question- is this a saildrive, or lifting outboard? We have a saildrive on Urge and while I was originally in favor for the convenience, seems to me that it is best at catching kelp that you have just cut off the keel. Have the bomb-bay doors been properly sorted out for the FT10 (meaning they hold up at speed and in heavy weather) or are they still speed brakes? Other options?

And yet one more question... the sprit design. How does the FT13.8 keep the ocean on the outside rather the inside when you stuff it into a wave barreling down the Molokai channel? I understand that this was one of the problems with the J125.

Jungle Jim

Uncontrollable Urge

QMN

Anarchist
infinite wisdom...( I guess some issues have a great importance )

inquiring mind wants to know shipping cost for a boat that is NOT even close to be fully designed much less in production, for delivery some time in the unknown future (2010) while reflecting on the effects of last years market forces might have a future transport costs

PHM

Super Anarchist
I second the liftable keel- TransPac costs come way down if we can ship back on a car carrier.
The other thing are through-hulls for kelp windows and a darn good set-up for a cutter. Hot Rum 1 was terrible- we caught so much kelp that it became impossible to race.

Which brings me to another question- is this a saildrive, or lifting outboard? We have a saildrive on Urge and while I was originally in favor for the convenience, seems to me that it is best at catching kelp that you have just cut off the keel. Have the bomb-bay doors been properly sorted out for the FT10 (meaning they hold up at speed and in heavy weather) or are they still speed brakes? Other options?

And yet one more question... the sprit design. How does the FT13.8 keep the ocean on the outside rather the inside when you stuff it into a wave barreling down the Molokai channel? I understand that this was one of the problems with the J125.

Jungle Jim

Uncontrollable Urge

The FT10 bomb-bay doors have been sorted out. We haven't had any problems (after a year of sailing, including at speed) and I haven't heard of any others having problems. Newer boats actually have a Hendo-30 type arrangement, but I'm happy with the original that I have. One thing to consider on an offshore boat though is the need to charge batteries--tough to do without an inboard, although apparently the solar cells are getting quite good.....

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
At 13.8 meters I would hope that it has an inboard in it so that it can do more serious offshore races.
Why not do an outboard arrangement like the FT 10? No prop to drag around the race course. Cheaper, lighter. Not sure what the best solution for charging batteries would be.