Flying Tiger 7.5???

What ever happened to this class?  There were a hand full in Toronto, but it looks like the National One Design Center went out of business.  Where are all the boats?  How many were built?  Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like down below?

LOL - Asking for a friend.

stealth

Singapore
What ever happened to this class?  There were a hand full in Toronto, but it looks like the National One Design Center went out of business.  Where are all the boats?  How many were built?  Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like down below?

LOL - Asking for a friend.
Following.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I was intrigued by the boat too. I wanted a lifting keel racer to join in with the phrf fleet up at Bear Lake here in Utah.  I saw one pass by and missed out but I wasn't ready to buy. I look once in a while but I bought a Melges 24 not long ago and I think that I'll be happier with that boat.  

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
It's a nice boat.  I had a friend who had one and raced on it a bunch.  Interior is not much, but more than what a J/70 has.  Little faster and more stable than a J/70 as well.  I think it wasn't well marketed, which didn't help it any...and then the J/70 was very well marketed.  I'm a bit of a J snob, but really liked the 7.5.  Good boat...

I owned the one Crash sailed on.  I loved the boat.  Easy to sail for an old fart.  Very stable compared to a Melges 24 or J/70.  There were only 5 that ever made it to the states.  2 are still in San Diego but not used much.  One of those boats is for sale.  One is in LA, one is in Arizona (donated to Boy Scouts) and one was in Louisiana last I heard.  Great boat and pretty well built, except rudder gudgeons and pintles need to be beefed up.  I know that 3 of the 5 in the states failed. It takes about 15 kits wind to get them on a plane and then they are a blast.  It was a tough boat for phrf in light wind San Diego due to rating that was a little harsh.

Down below is spartan.  I suppose you could stay overnight on it as the settees such as they are are long enough but there is no headroom.  I’m 5’9” and I could sit hunched over, but just barely.  With no forward hatch there isn’t a lot of airflow down there either.  I don’t know wha5 happened to the ones in Canada.  You can probably  pick up a decent one for under $15k US.

Send me a pm with your email and I can send any pics you want.

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
I always liked the boat from afar, but thought it would be difficult to single hand.  I have no real experience to support or negate that thought.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I always liked the boat from afar, but thought it would be difficult to single hand.  I have no real experience to support or negate that thought.
I'd be curious about that, also. Seemed like a much closer fit for the kind of sailing I would like, which is enough performance to be challenging and fun; but I would be sailing with short-handed and/or inexperienced crew most of the time.

The design was intended to be more stable, Bob Perry discussed this back when they first came out. I'm sorry they didn't catch on better.

FB- Doug

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
From a stability and and "forces" standpoint, it'd be easy to short/single hand.  Like any boat designed to be raced by a crew, some deck gear would need to be re-thought/moved to enable easier adjustment from the helm.  In a daysailor mode, 2 up is easily done, and you don't need to be young and strong either  :rolleyes:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I owned the one Crash sailed on.  I loved the boat.  Easy to sail for an old fart.  Very stable compared to a Melges 24 or J/70.  There were only 5 that ever made it to the states.  2 are still in San Diego but not used much.  One of those boats is for sale.  One is in LA, one is in Arizona (donated to Boy Scouts) and one was in Louisiana last I heard.  Great boat and pretty well built, except rudder gudgeons and pintles need to be beefed up.  I know that 3 of the 5 in the states failed. It takes about 15 kits wind to get them on a plane and then they are a blast.  It was a tough boat for phrf in light wind San Diego due to rating that was a little harsh.

Down below is spartan.  I suppose you could stay overnight on it as the settees such as they are are long enough but there is no headroom.  I’m 5’9” and I could sit hunched over, but just barely.  With no forward hatch there isn’t a lot of airflow down there either.  I don’t know wha5 happened to the ones in Canada.  You can probably  pick up a decent one for under $15k US.

Send me a pm with your email and I can send any pics you want.
Do you have any information on the one for sale in San Diego?  We have some interest in boats like this for a fleet on Bear Lake here in Utah.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
JimBowie said:
Some outfit in Canada hauls them down in trailer for charter every year. Not this one obviously
I think that somebody said that they went out of business and a search for them seems to confirm that.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
JimBowie said:
Some outfit in Canada hauls them down in trailer for charter every year. Not this one obviously
I think that somebody said that they went out of business and a search for them seems to confirm that.
Yeah, but the boats didn't evaporate, I hope. Would love to find one on the East Coast. Sandy Eggo is long long drive from here. You're more than half way though.

FB- Doug

tt1963

I believe they are still in Ontario.

One of the FT 7.5's from there is at our club just north of Toronto.

Faster than a Rocket 22

Last edited by a moderator:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Yeah, but the boats didn't evaporate, I hope. Would love to find one on the East Coast. Sandy Eggo is long long drive from here. You're more than half way though.

FB- Doug
Yeah, San Diego for us isn't bad.  A buddy here keeps a Laser there so he can make regular regattas there and others here have a condo there and keep a couple of bigger boats. 

I believe they are still in Ontario.

One of the FT 7.5's from there is at our club just north of Toronto.

Faster than a Rocket 22
Thank you for the info everyone.  I have a Viper 640, but was looking for a side boat to do beer can racing with, take my non-sailing wife and 5 year old daughter out on, and to keep in the water instead of a dry slip. 

Knowing that there's not much down below, I'd have to bring the camping potty and get some cushions made up.  So perhaps not the right boat, but I would still love to see some interior pics if anyone could post some.

Thanks TT.  Any idea where the other 9 boats have gone?  

I thought I had more pics of the interior but I can't find them.  These show the V berth such as it is and the starboard side settee looking aft under the cockpit seats (port side looks the same).  The settees are narrow, but would be wide enough and long enough to lay down on.  Your head would be in the cabin and feet under the cockpit seats.  headroom is minimal.

858.JPG

861.JPG

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Thank you for the info everyone.  I have a Viper 640, but was looking for a side boat to do beer can racing with, take my non-sailing wife and 5 year old daughter out on, and to keep in the water instead of a dry slip. 

Knowing that there's not much down below, I'd have to bring the camping potty and get some cushions made up.  So perhaps not the right boat, but I would still love to see some interior pics if anyone could post some.

Thanks TT.  Any idea where the other 9 boats have gone?  
Your requirements are similar to mine, let us (me) know what boats you find that meet your requirements as I suspect you have more insight than I do.

Latest posts