Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I’m not a huge fan of steamed Maine lobster. But the co-captain is and brought four new shells along.

Our biggest pot on the boat isn’t huge so I steamed them, in pairs.

10 minutes per pound once the pot starts steaming, so 12.5 minutes for these 1 1/4 pounders.

New shells are full of seawater (the lobster grows an oversized shell once or twice a season and then takes months to grow into it). 

what a mess, I feel like the vet on all creatures great and small delivering a calf.

we both had to dump our dinner plates over board several times.

She savors, I just try to get through it.

In the dark dumping my plate for the second time, my whole tail slid off my plate. ‘Plop’

I made no mention. She didn’t notice to my relief. The event would crush any steamed lobster lover.

I get through it though because of the second pair which were cracked, drained, wrapped and set in the icebox.

here’s how to eat lobster:

toast some crusty bread in a pan of hot olive oil.

cut chilled lobster, sweet onion, celery into chunks.

mix in a little Mayo, add some fresh basil leaves, sea salt and ground pepper on the crusty bread, and,…

F5F88D79-4907-4EAA-B077-0D68067B5B66.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist
I like lobster salad as you describe it more than boiled lobster.

Why do you buy shedders rather than hardshells?

Actually, we’ve gotten to the point we buy lobster meat rather than lobsters much of the time. My wife loves fettuccini Alfredo with lobster.

Shedders are a lot easier to crack than hardshells.

I wondered why all the seagulls were hanging around your boat over there.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
From the time I was born, I've been on fish docks and boats all over. Love your photos and your ties to the boats and the land there. So it's surprising to learn you live there and don't love a nice Homarus from claws to tail. We were born to enjoy them!

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I like lobster salad as you describe it more than boiled lobster.

Why do you buy shedders rather than hardshells?

Actually, we’ve gotten to the point we buy lobster meat rather than lobsters much of the time. My wife loves fettuccini Alfredo with lobster.

Shedders are a lot easier to crack than hardshells.

I wondered why all the seagulls were hanging around your boat over there.
When we moved to maine, we bought an old fish market on Camden harbor, expanded the building and lived upstairs. 

When the construction was complete, we threw open the doors downstairs and poof, I was a fish monger. 

we used to keep 200 pounds of live lobsters in a tank fed by a pool pump on the harbor edge. New shells, hard shells, I’d throw the ‘racks’ of bones from freshly filleted salmon, halibut into the tank to keep them happy.

As well as cook them to go I used to often steam 4, 8, then crack and pick the meat for an order, all before 8 in the morning.

I think that’s where my lack of enthusiasm for steamed lobster comes from.

is it alright to row by and say hi today if you’re onboard? 

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
Steam 10 minutes a pound? I have been boiling for 7 with mixed results. I only cook them when visitors come and expect lobster. I get them free from the guy next door who has 5 traps but doesn’t eat lobster (I take care of his cat when he’s away). I boil them in a propane contraption in the driveway. 

But the only way I really like it is a good lobster roll. With fries and a coke. Living in Wiscasset we have a couple of famous choices but my favorite one is Erica’s, by the Dolphin. They are perfect, not too large and not oversized.

I always feel bad about cooking them, I do eat fish nowadays but still don’t eat meat. I have actually turned lobster loose back into the water, which is ridiculous. We had some tired looking ones that I just wasn’t up to cooking, and my wife doesn’t eat them, so I snuck down to the dock at dusk, gave them a full naval pardon and set them free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
This thread is for anybody on the water t who has a thought. 

I’ve been watching my Ravcor water separator so closely I didn’t notice that my alternator wasn’t putting out a charge a couple days ago. 

I didn’t think it was the regulator because that is a replacement for the last ARS whatever that quit about 10 years ago. Plus it’s LEDs we’re showing it going through the start up. 

sure enough, a jumper on the Balmar

showed it was the regulator. What’s with these junk regulators? 

luckily, when it happened last time I picked up a 70’s Ford regulator. After replacing the ARS, I stuffed the old regulator under the head sink. 

It’s dumb but works and if batteries aren’t too deeply discharged (a 20 watt solar panel wired to house) we should be good for the next couple of weeks. It starts with bang on the belt with no delay. 

Once back home, is there a better alternative for a very basic smart regulator? 

sorry for phone brevity and typing, only tool out here

accnick

Super Anarchist
This thread is for anybody on the water t who has a thought. 

I’ve been watching my Ravcor water separator so closely I didn’t notice that my alternator wasn’t putting out a charge a couple days ago. 

I didn’t think it was the regulator because that is a replacement for the last ARS whatever that quit about 10 years ago. Plus it’s LEDs we’re showing it going through the start up. 

sure enough, a jumper on the Balmar

showed it was the regulator. What’s with these junk regulators? 

luckily, when it happened last time I picked up a 70’s Ford regulator. After replacing the ARS, I stuffed the old regulator under the head sink. 

It’s dumb but works and if batteries aren’t too deeply discharged (a 20 watt solar panel wired to house) we should be good for the next couple of weeks. It starts with bang on the belt with no delay. 

Once back home, is there a better alternative for a very basic smart regulator? 

sorry for phone brevity and typing, only tool out here
I used to carry two spare smart regulators, since we had no solar backup.

In your situation, there may be few if any readily-available alternatives right now, but since you are near home, I would be tempted just to monitor battery voltage to make sure it stays in an acceptable range with the dumb regulator.

You will just need to use your main engine as a big generator.

Hamilton doesn’t list anything. West in SW harbor might have  have something, if you don’t mind extortion.

Hinckley in SW Might have something in the stockroom.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
G.zeus, boiling them is sacrilege to begin with and then you beat the shit out them for 10min/lb? Save money and just eat rubber bands

NaClH20

Super ciliary
I also am ambivalent to lobster…. A couple seasons in the tourist trade with them weekly was enough.  I’d prefer crab, though they are harder to deal with (but available either free or $1 each from a neighboring boat).  When lobsters do make it on the menu, we’ve switched to grilling and will never go back to boiling.  Tastes better, and all the smell/mess remains outside.

And for the love of god, don’t boil/steam/or otherwise cook a lobster with the rubber bands on!

Elegua

Generalissimo
None of my family in Maine will cook lobster in the house at any time and the only time they will deign to eat it is when the people from away family show up.  Usually it's a trip to the co-op.  I like to steam them, but then I like many things steamed....shrimp, crabs...etc...

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
IMO lobster is the best butter-delivery food ever.

But I understand how living with "lobster everywhere" would make it seem a lot less special.

accnick

Super Anarchist
None of my family in Maine will cook lobster in the house at any time and the only time they will deign to eat it is when the people from away family show up.  Usually it's a trip to the co-op.  I like to steam them, but then I like many things steamed....shrimp, crabs...etc...
Get a gas-fired lobster cooker and put it in the backyard, instead of cooking them inside.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@Kris Cringle At Pulpit Harbor, the lobsterman's wife told us that the local phrase is "sheddahs are bettah" because although there's less meat and more water, the meat is more tender and sweeter. We steamed ours for 8 min/lb. (They were well over 1lb) They came out perfectly, sweet and tender as promised. My wife wanted to "Chesapeake" them up by adding beer and spices but I forbade it. She read the cooking instructions I provided and agreed not to molest them. She agreed afterwards that plain water and salt (or seawater) is best.

Since the kind woman at the lobster float warned us, we knew to drain off the water after busting them open and it was just a minor hassle.  We immediately picked and chilled the meat from the 3rd bug for incorporation into omelettes the next morning.  Waiting for hers to steam for 9 minutes so that we could eat together was the longest 9 minutes of my life.

Your recipe for a lobster sandwich looks divine.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
When we were in the San Blas Islands of Panama for about a month in 1997, on a 30' boat without refrigeration, lobster was our main protein.

Lobster curry, lobster omlette, lobster stir fry, lobster pasta.  It did get old.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Get a gas-fired lobster cooker and put it in the backyard, instead of cooking them inside.
It's all of the mess and clean-up that's the driver. That said, on my BIL's side, one generation up won't touch it under any circumstances because that's what they got to eat when times got hard. 

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
When we were in the San Blas Islands of Panama for about a month in 1997, on a 30' boat without refrigeration, lobster was our main protein.

Lobster curry, lobster omlette, lobster stir fry, lobster pasta.  It did get old.
Spiney lobster? How do they compare in taste and texture to Maine bugs?

As an aside joke, watching my wife tear into hers with all of the "Mmmms" and "wows" made me think of Starship Troopers. I half expected her to say "I'm doing my part!"

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
I love Maine lobster. We got some shelled lobster from Graffam's and it was fabulous. I harked back to my South Florida youth, and we had it à la stone crabs: chilled with a mustard*/mayo/Worcestershire sauce, with sides of fried potatoes and tomatoes & slaw. Class 3 orgasm.

*Grey Poupon which we "happen to have."