Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
My son is a Moxie junkie. We have it smuggled in to Novi from Maine by a friend. There's worse vices. Reminds me more of root beer than cola.
DE003_1233__81068.1369059039.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Well, I get two miles to the gallon of diesel in my boat, and I can't wait to see the prices this summer.

Fortunately, I topped up the tanks at about half the current price last fall before putting the boat away, so I can get by for some time before staring that $1000+ fill-up in the face.

We may stay on the mooring a lot this year, but that is costly in itself.
I could kick myself for not topping up my 5/8 full 80 gallon diesel tank, last fall. 

Thirty-nine cents per mile?  ($100 / 256 miles)  Ouch!  At only $4.96 per gallon?  ($100 / 20.165 gallons)

P.S.  And since it stopped at $100, your tank isn't full.
I hope you know I'm being facetious about 'my beloved AFT'. I hate cars, all of them. Not for the dismal gas mileage Detroit insisted on driving downward as the rest of the world went upward in MPG. I hate them for the present design of humanity that they drove. I hate them for the thousands of miles square miles of asphalt around me. 

The scary thing about $100 fill up is how this must be effecting people that have to drive more than 125mi. /month. 

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Have you ever driven a bronze drift? My first, today. I love building something that is useful, using simple skills, tools and knowledge that probably date back to Roman times. 

IMG_4107.jpeg

mgs

canoeman
maine
Was at a restaurant in harpswell, HARPSWELL, and they were selling moxie for 3.50 a can. Seven years ago that price for moxie in Cambridge made me sour. the bastards. 

Got it at the store the next day for 90 cents. As it should be. 

Moxie Festival is just a month or so away in Lisbon falls 

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon

valcour2

I hope you know I'm being facetious about 'my beloved AFT'. I hate cars, all of them. Not for the dismal gas mileage Detroit insisted on driving downward as the rest of the world went upward in MPG. 
The great irony of cars is that the heavier the car, the more expensive.  Eg trucks, SUVs, high end luxury cars.  In other performance products (raceboats, bicycles, climbing and camping gear), you pay more to get stuff that weighs less.  If only we could imbue the same mentality in cars. Then the economic cost of ownership would flip.  

valcour2

I thought a drift was a smooth pin used to join pieces of wood.  Multiple drifts, set at angles to one another, lock boards together, when building things like rudders.

A punch would be used to drive pins or drifts out of their places, releasing the connection.  

kdh

Super Anarchist
Yeah, even when skint in college we would drink Olde English 800 before we would stoop to PBR. 
We used to get Schmidt's for $2 a six pack. The empty cans in our dorm room doubled as spittoons. Surprisingly one could distinguish the expelled saliva from the beer if a can was the object of mistaken identity.

Elegua

Generalissimo
The biggest driver of the increased weight in cars is the crash safety requirements and equipment. Cars are much safer than even 10 years ago. The choice of trucks and SUVs over sedans is a different matter. Thanks to clever engine tuning, narrower bearings, lighter oil and an eight speed transmission, my truck easily gets 35 mpg on the highway. Still, If it were a sedan it might be 40. 

Elegua

Generalissimo
We used to get Schmidt's for $2 a six pack. The empty cans in our dorm room doubled as spittoons. Surprisingly one could distinguish the expelled saliva from the beer if a can was the object of mistaken identity.
Bleerrrrgh! Oh you raised some old memories I thought I had blocked out. I had friends who did that with Sheaffer and Jim Beam. 

chester

Super Anarchist
off to the corner with you KDH  :angry:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Launch drama: This Valiant (I think?) looks like it hooked the bottom of the ramp. It turned into a panic situation because the tide was down to about 3' above LW, and going out.

IMG_4112.jpeg

Long story short, he pulled the trailer out, the boat held on the lines, backed in under and was able to retrieve. Now in the parking lot waiting for the tide to return. 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/718798625?h=6ecde14fbd&app_id=122963

Elegua

Generalissimo
11 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Launch drama: This Valiant (I think?) looks like it hooked the bottom of the ramp. It turned into a panic situation because the tide was down to about 3' above LW, and going out.

View attachment 514249

Long story short, he pulled the trailer out, the boat held on the lines, backed in under and was able to retrieve. Now in the parking lot waiting for the tide to return. 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/718798625?h=6ecde14fbd&app_id=122963
Is that the boatyard from Belmont? 

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Glad the story has a happy ending. What are the two ruined structures in the background (under the shed roofs)?
Those are ruins of lime kilns. There was a raised railroad track above the kilns that brought the raw lime stone from a nearby quarry and dumped it in to cook down. It was shipped out onboard schooners into the last century. 

Where these 1907 narrow gauge RR tracks in the photo are at the top of the kilns is now the road down to the harbor.   1907 Rockport.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Every task I'm involved in first bogs down in material availability. Electricians warn of backorders for what used to be stock parts, the canvas woman today on Sunbrella on what isn't available, Joe at my supply for a Makita 18V battery, not to mention empty building supply items. Price? Who cares, gotta have it. 

I'm very forgiving of mistakes mostly because I have made them all myself. But this is a new day on all fronts.

This pocket door, I was told,  was actually open a few inches.

That would mean your brain should tell you just before you insert your hole saw in the template marking for the unit you're installing; "Hang on, there's a pocket door behind this wallboard, stop right now!". 

Say your brain didn't work though. The hole saw goes through the wallboard like a hot knife through butter. But caution takes over. The brain visualizes 3 1/2" of air in front of the hole saw. 

Resistance!!!? WTF? What is it? Stop? No, give it some pressure, maybe just some hard air,... 

IMG_4109.jpeg

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Every task I'm involved in first bogs down in material availability. Electricians warn of backorders for what used to be stock parts, the canvas woman today on Sunbrella on what isn't available, Joe at my supply for a Makita 18V battery, not to mention empty building supply items. Price? Who cares, gotta have it. 

I'm very forgiving of mistakes mostly because I have made them all myself. But this is a new day on all fronts.

This pocket door, I was told,  was actually open a few inches.

That would mean your brain should tell you just before you insert your hole saw in the template marking for the unit you're installing; "Hang on, there's a pocket door behind this wallboard, stop right now!". 

Say your brain didn't work though. The hole saw goes through the wallboard like a hot knife through butter. But caution takes over. The brain visualizes 3 1/2" of air in front of the hole saw. 

Resistance!!!? WTF? What is it? Stop? No, give it some pressure, maybe just some hard air,... 

View attachment 514282
That'll buff right out...

accnick

Super Anarchist

I'm very forgiving of mistakes mostly because I have made them all myself. But this is a new day on all fronts.

This pocket door, I was told, was actually open a few inches.

That would mean your brain should tell you just before you insert your hole saw in the template marking for the unit you're installing; "Hang on, there's a pocket door behind this wallboard, stop right now!".

View attachment 514282
So, where's the rest of the pocket door in that picture? It looks like the top 6" of the door to me.

Latest posts