Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

accnick

Super Anarchist
In Herrick Bay (Brooklin). Drove up to Blue Hill for provisions today. Headed to Burnt Coat (Swan’s) tomorrow when/if the fog lightens up a bit, maybe Merchant’s Row after the rain goes through on Tuesday.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
It was nice meeting you and Mary Ann, Tom. We really admired both the mothership and the dinghy. Jen has now assigned me the task of building a nutshell this winter.

Early this morning, we saw (and smelled) a slick of what I think was gasoline on the water. It was very calm, so nothing to churn it up. I'm pretty sure it was coming from that same boat (which was, of course, running it's genset at the time). I don't think there is a fuel dock in the harbor, so it must have come from a boat...

-Raj

Very nice meeting you and Jen, Raj! Small world. Jen filled us in on the life you're living right now. Very exciting, hope to see posts over the winter. I took some shots of your boat (download later). Pretty, what is she?

At dawn, I noticed there was a foamy ring around that boat. The owner was scurrying around on deck, forward, with what looked like a mop, and tons of suds were washing into the harbor. Your post explains it, has was cleaning up some sort of fuel spill.

We also had a bonehead lobsterman nearby that tied up to a boat and blabbed pretty much all night(so we were informed by a friend anchored close by). Then that same lobsterman was out at the crack of dawn motoring slowly around the harbor(not pulling traps). I'm thinking he's on something stronger than Espresso.

monkphunk

Very nice meeting you and Jen, Raj! Small world. Jen filled us in on the life you're living right now. Very exciting, hope to see posts over the winter. I took some shots of your boat (download later). Pretty, what is she?

At dawn, I noticed there was a foamy ring around that boat. The owner was scurrying around on deck, forward, with what looked like a mop, and tons of suds were washing into the harbor. Your post explains it, has was cleaning up some sort of fuel spill.

We also had a bonehead lobsterman nearby that tied up to a boat and blabbed pretty much all night(so we were informed by a friend anchored close by). Then that same lobsterman was out at the crack of dawn motoring slowly around the harbor(not pulling traps). I'm thinking he's on something stronger than Espresso.
The boat is a Brewer 44. We've been really happy with her. The further south we get the better the rowaway factor, but she looks a lot more homely here in Maine with all the pretty boats around.

That explains the mystery of the slick.

I think your intuition is right about the lobsterman. We were specifically warned to avoid him by a friend in the harbor.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The boat is a Brewer 44. We've been really happy with her. The further south we get the better the rowaway factor, but she looks a lot more homely here in Maine with all the pretty boats around.

That explains the mystery of the slick.

I think your intuition is right about the lobsterman. We were specifically warned to avoid him by a friend in the harbor.

Your boat is a beauty and proper, especially in your context of living/cruising onboard as a family of 3. I saw you working on the headsails.

Rosa Dos Ventos.jpg

I took a few with the schooner as the backdrop but my hand hold was shakey in the low light.

This was more the mood at dawn:

IMG_4646.jpeg

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@Elegua holy shit, look at those colors. Amazing.

If finances work out, I really think I might head back up there next summer. I'm almost certain I can build up the necessary vacation days.

monkphunk

I took a few with the schooner as the backdrop but my hand hold was shakey in the low light.

This was more the mood at dawn:

View attachment 536277
Thanks for sharing these photos. I always enjoy the shots through your cabin window, very cool to see Rosa in one.

We took advantage of the calm morning to drop the head sails, clean the furlers, and adjust the rig (adding a bit of mast rake). I had been procrastinating the mast rake project because I didn't want to take the headsail furler apart, but I'm glad I did; it felt like another month of corrosion and the thing would never come apart again.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Seal Bay, Vinalhaven this afternoon.

Not exactly packed to the gills. We are all by ourselves near the head of navigation in the SW arm.

This is my favorite part of Seal Bay. Best protection, good holding in sandy mud. Just about 10’ at normal low.

It is a fairly narrow tongue of deeper water, with reasonable swinging room as long as boats stay in line.

The few boats in the distance are in the larger, more popular anchorage off Hay.
BB1B7F37-C898-4916-893E-1ADB3119371F.jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Text: "Actually Dad, do you want to come down and catch my lines?"

Pick you up at 2am from high school parties, catch your lines at 4pm, that's what Dad's are for.

I had just offered seeing my daughter in the harbor rowing out to her $1 sailboat. She was taking her aunt, uncle and his parents out for a sail after work last night. NOAA said 20% showers, light winds.

Who is the poor sap coming down the ramp?

IMG_8643.jpeg

My daughter is more cautious than my son. She had her fenders on and motored downwind and turned up upwind and headed for the dock. I thought she was going a little fast,... but then I backed away from the dock edge, and relaxed. For countless young peeps in construction, my un-spoken rule was "do something, even if it's wrong". I think you can 'teach' too much.

And that blasted $1 boat with an outboard really has no reverse, is quite heavy at 4k and squirrely with a Echells-like center keel with an attached hinge they call a rudder.

A little heavy on the landing but in hindsight, she was dead perfect and stuck to the dock like velcro. She had lines all ready (unlike our son).

Why the hell am I happy in this selfie she took?

IMG_8647.jpeg

Well, I'm just as proud as can be that both our kids are lifelong sailors. She's living sailing her way, now.

I drove her home (she lives a few hundred yards West, I live a few hundred yards East), she changed into dry clothes and I drove her back and dropped her off, still raining. Why?

"I'm going to go below on my boat and wait for Kath and Steven. They're coming down when the rain stops." Which it did as the radar showed it would.

I knew she had things she wanted to do below:

She was always the one on our boats that helped stow gear below (she hated to see 'stuff' not in locker or stowed). She was always the one at the mainsail helping me flake it. She was always the first to ask if we could turn the motor off and sail.

"Having a blast" my SIL texted and sent this. NAMO' needed a hosing anyway.

68315283660__12A1439A-7685-4CFC-B679-568838491DDD.jpeg

Elegua

Generalissimo

Not exactly packed to the gills. We are all by ourselves near the head of navigation in the SW arm.

This is my favorite part of Seal Bay. Best protection, good holding in sandy mud. Just about 10’ at normal low.

It is a fairly narrow tongue of deeper water, with reasonable swinging room as long as boats stay in line.

The few boats in the distance are in the larger, more popular anchorage off Hay.

View attachment 536728

Seal Bay has a couple of places that are really nice if you are brave enough. Coombs Neck and Smith Cove. I'm a bit of a coward. I didn't twig to the spot you are talking about on the other side of Hay until recently. The reversing falls to Winter harbor in a dinghy is a fun trip.

Had an otherwise good week sailing my parents around on their boat.

In other news, engine is back together so I expect plan hope to be back in action next week. Valve lash on 1 & 3 pistons for the intake valves was far out of spec. Given how worn the injector pump was, I'm surprised the engine ran that well.

Might start the trip South early. I stopped watching the weather so I have to start that again.

B31831DD-DA18-4A26-A54B-825F17FEFA78.jpg

Last edited:

accnick

Super Anarchist
There is usually a catboat on a mooring at the absolute end of the deeper water past Burnt island. We anchor roughly halfway between Burnt and that catboat.

The only time it’s a problem is when several boats try to squeeze into the relatively small area of deeper water.

Don’t think many folks will be coming in today. Rain and fog, and quite a bit of both.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD

View attachment 536728
Oh man, I have got to visit this place next time.

I really need to find my balls and make a straight line from Cape May to Block Island next time and cut out some of the little stops. Of course, not having a hurricane chasing my ass down next time would also help.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
View attachment 536728

Seal Bay has a couple of places that are really nice if you are brave enough. Coombs Neck and Smith Cove. I'm a bit of a coward. I didn't twig to the spot you are talking about on the other side of Hay until recently. The reversing falls to Winter harbor in a dinghy is a fun trip.

Had an otherwise good week sailing my parents around on their boat.

In other news, engine is back together so I expect plan hope to be back in action next week. Valve lash on 1 & 3 pistons for the intake valves was far out of spec. Given how worn the injector pump was, I'm surprised the engine ran that well.

Might start the trip South early. I stopped watching the weather so I have to start that again.

View attachment 536815
Did you get your pump rebuilt-replaced? Is that the Perkins and is it corrected?

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Grilling is simple, that's why it's tricky. My plan: Grill hot - but not too hot; then grill oiled just before the salmon goes on. Grill on low, close lid. Cook for 10 minutes or until smoke begins to rush out of the top vents. Carefully run a spatula under the fish along the grill to break it free. It's a little fragile now,...carefully turn in one piece,...

IMG_4685.jpeg

Top down again, another 10 minutes - maybe less, until smoke starts to pour out the vents again.

Nailed it.

IMG_4686.jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Grilling is simple, that's why it's tricky. My plan: Grill hot - but not too hot; then grill oiled just before the salmon goes on. Grill on low, close lid. Cook for 10 minutes or until smoke begins to rush out of the top vents. Carefully run a spatula under the fish along the grill to break it free. It's a little fragile now,...carefully turn in one piece,...

View attachment 537628

Top down again, another 10 minutes - maybe less, until smoke starts to pour out the vents again.

Nailed it.

View attachment 537629
Nick, nice to see you and Maryanne in Perry. A lot of boats in there last weekend!

accnick

Super Anarchist
Nick, nice to see you and Maryanne in Perry. A lot of boats in there last weekend!
We may be there again on Thursday. Winding things down preparing for an early haul in just over a week.

I’m regretting un-retiring for one more contract. The temptation was too great, and the boat wants some stuff, as boats do.

It was good to see you and your Maryanne as well.

Latest posts