Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Fleetwood

Sydney, Oz
The saying used to be that rugby was a ruffians sport played by gentlemen and soccer was a gentleman's sport played by ruffians.
Both are a lot more democratic these days...

Beer fueled Mayhem

Anarchist
Ballard, WA
His name is Tommy. He came pre-named by his breeder and my wife insisted on keeping it.

She also insisted on naming our son, Thomas, he being the 4th Thomas Oswald Young.

As if that wasn't enough of a problem, our daughter's boyfriend's name is, you guessed it, Tom. I've named him New Tom.

I can top that though! My wife is one of 7 Marys born into an Irish Catholic family. But they all have tag names, hers being Mary Ann, so nobody is called Mary. But that trend continues with my daughter, Mary Jane (she is called Mary Jane as there is only one).

But Tommy only stuck to him. And he doesn't bite,...hard. But he will scare the shit out you if you pet him below the shoulders for some odd reason.

View attachment 541542
I named my daughter Sam after my family's German Shepherd. What an amazing dog she was. Jesus...I don't think I've ever cried as hard as when I had to put her down at the vet. My dad was a broken man.
IMG_20151007_084136_01.jpeg

Said dog and dad. 1980 maybe. That carpeting though! That is our Shelty at his back. Rumplestiltskin. Or just Rumple.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The raw materials of my coast are North Atlantic Ocean and granite. The brutal battle moves slowly but it's evident that the Atlantic is always winning.

We watched the sunset and rise on a nearby front line, the Rockland Breakwater.

It's amazing to sail down the edge in 50' of water and try to visualize how wide the pile of rubble must be to support the wave-breaking cut stone wall just above the surface(at times these days, below). This wall is bashed from both sides by waves and endless currents. A valiant effort but it's clearly losing this battle.

Just as amazing was watching the peeps walk that craggy top of somewhat square chunks of granite. It appears flattish but we know the gaps between the massive blocks are deep leg breakers.

So the endless stream of walkers is intensely focused - visually and mentally - on their cautious steps, making it appear as though they are on a joint pilgrimage of some kind.

I'd scan the granite road in the late afternoon and estimate more than 50 people at any time along the near-mile-long breakwater. Endless all day.

I heard the first voices before the sun rose, in the morning.

Shortly after, the granite pilgrims stretched across the mile.

Later, we dropped our mooring (courtesy of the Samoset Hotel) and sailed alongside.

IMG_4857 (1).jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Lobster on the ropes in Maine: Price was low all season (bait high), then the legal problems with the Right Whale.

Fishermen have been selling in every parking lot for $6 apiece and now retailers are packing a profit and a donation(comment says boat price is $3.25/lb, dismal). $10.00 takeaway, is a 'rip-off'? Math$10-donation=$8.50-3.25-retail space rent, employees, cooking, packing, = ?

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 8.27.52 AM.png

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lobster on the ropes in Maine: Price was low all season (bait high), then the legal problems with the Right Whale.

Fishermen have been selling in every parking lot for $6 apiece and now retailers are packing a profit and a donation(comment says boat price is $3.25/lb, dismal). $10.00 takeaway, is a 'rip-off'? Math$10-donation=$8.50-3.25-retail space rent, employees, cooking, packing, = ?

View attachment 542371
I bought some out of a truck in Thomaston. Half the price of in store. Twice the off the boat price.

Latest posts