Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Where are you headed from there?
Bounce around Ches and then head for Beaufort for the trip to BVI or Antigua.

Some boat work to be done. The hatch was an unpleasant surprise since it was just bedded professionally. Then I have to make some decisions about do I add any stuff.

Where are some good places for fall cruises in Ches?

Last edited:

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Bounce around Ches and then head for Beaufort for the trip to BVI or Antigua.

Some boat work to be done. The hatch was an unpleasant surprise since it was just bedded professionally. Then I have to make some decisions about do I add any stuff.

Where are some food places for fall cruises in Ches?
I'm out of date on the Bay so will defer to others. (Deltaville VA was a good marina stop back in the day; a lot of the places we gunkholed in the lower bay when I was a kid required a centerboard draft.)

If you are taking your time on the ICW portion of NC, we've got nice small-town stops in places like Belhaven, Washington, and Oriental.

Elegua

Generalissimo
I'm out of date on the Bay so will defer to others. (Deltaville VA was a good marina stop back in the day; a lot of the places we gunkholed in the lower bay when I was a kid required a centerboard draft.)

If you are taking your time on the ICW portion of NC, we've got nice small-town stops in places like Belhaven, Washington, and Oriental.
I saw in the other thread some good suggestions on how to get to Beaufort. At 4.5”, I think we’re shallow enough for Pamlico Sound?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I love seafood…burp…..she’ll be back…

Last night, we photographed this "buster" in one of our traps. He's shedding his shell. My wife informed me that this is sort of a "hydraulic" process that involves pumping water to push out of the old shell so we had to put him back in the water. I was unable to observe the completely process.

As of this morning, he's hardening up his new shell.

Buster2.jpg

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Last night, we photographed this "buster" in one of our traps. He's shedding his shell. My wife informed me that this is sort of a "hydraulic" process that involves pumping water to push out of the old shell so we had to put him back in the water. I was unable to observe the completely process.

As of this morning, he's hardening up his new shell.

View attachment 542395
you didn't clean and pan-fry him while soft? :p

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I’m not so sold on those unless done very crispy. If not, it’s like I’m eating my crab wrapped in plastic.
We'd be looking for the nearest crab shack on the water and a dozen or two of the hard shells. That's my favorite,..lobster. Are there any nearby, Ajax?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
We'd be looking for the nearest crab shack on the water and a dozen or two of the hard shells. That's my favorite,..lobster. Are there any nearby, Ajax?
Yes, there are crab-exclusive eateries but practically every place serves them in some form or other.
My favorite crab shack is my own house. We hope to have enough for a crab boil for 4 people today.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
The Generalissimo (@Elegua ) and I sailed to Annapolis this weekend (because that's all I have time for). We set off into low to mid 20's of breeze on the nose. I managed to make respectable performance against his Hood design with an eleventy-something foot centerboard especially considering that I was dragging a dinghy.

We grabbed mooring balls and I gave a brief tour of the place. We visited the Naval Academy museum and some of my favorite local eateries (of those that still exist)

Because I'm a stingy and impatient fuck, I rowed us to shore in my Achilles 9' rather than call the water taxi. The phrase of the weekend was: "Row well for Rome, and live!" I put that piece of shit away and we're going to have Dyer vs. PT-11 wars in the creek this week.

mgs

canoeman
maine
Alright class, @accnick, @Cruisin Loser, @Kris Cringle, who am I forgetting?…

Anyway, my wife and I are taking a quick trip to stonington/brooklin for the weekend. Dinner for Friday is taken care of, as is lodging for the night. Any good thoughts to grab breakfast or an amusing side trip.

Going by car, so water suggestions are sadly out.

Latest posts