Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Any idea what type of stove would have fit this space in 1961?

I'm sure this is the original Danish (the boat was finished at the Molich yard) metalwork. It has a nicely rounded cove to the sheet SS edge to form a space. It appears a heat shield was fit behind, probably asbestos, which will stay entombed.

It measures 23 3/4" wide. There are old holes, long ago abandoned, that must have been a gimbal mount of some kind(plus a few more that make no sense). Kerosene perhaps? Without an oven?

IMG_5137.jpeg

It has evolved to this SS bracket to hold the aft gimbal for the CNG stove fitted in the 90's (I believe). It was raised to allow the stove to swing.

I think I can improve this and get some use of the 3" that the above bracket was spaced off, here:

IMG_5136.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist
@Kris Cringle I see your young pup is officially a boatyard dog, well done to him; although is he really named tommy?
Yep, Tommy is now famous. Got his picture in a magazine.

See the November/December issue of Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors, page 10.

An absolute legend in his own time, is our Tommy.

Kris Cingle must be proud of him.

Now, if KC could just teach him not to bark at every dinghy that gets within 50 yards of Christmas...

mgs

canoeman
maine
Yep, Tommy is now famous. Got his picture in a magazine.

See the November/December issue of Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors, page 10.

An absolute legend in his own time, is our Tommy.

Kris Cingle must be proud of him.

Now, if KC could just teach him not to bark at every dinghy that gets within 50 yards of Christmas...
Yeah I’m a little behind on my periodicals. Just finished WB, and now I’m on MBH&H. I’m debating about the tidly-idly article, I heard the boat was sort of for sale last year and I have a friend who is vaguely connected to the story.

As for Tommy, I wonder how much the name played into his owners decision…

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Yeah I’m a little behind on my periodicals. Just finished WB, and now I’m on MBH&H. I’m debating about the tidly-idly article, I heard the boat was sort of for sale last year and I have a friend who is vaguely connected to the story.
What do you think of those two magazines? Are they still interesting enough to subscribe? What about the new ownership of MBH&Hs? Will there be much change?

accnick

Super Anarchist
What do you think of those two magazines? Are they still interesting enough to subscribe? What about the new ownership of MBH&Hs? Will there be much change?
No indication of any significant editorial change at MBH&H. John Hanson is still on the masthead as "Publisher Emeritus", and his wife, Polly Saltonstall, is still the editor.

I love Woodenboat, but only have time to read a few print publications, so I let my WB subscription lapse. Still go through it quickly online.

I first met John H back in the mid 1970s, when he was the primary ad salesman for Woodenboat and I was a contributing editor--my first job writing for a sailing magazine.

MBH&H gets us through the winters away from Maine. It keeps us connected to a place we both love.

Last edited:

mgs

canoeman
maine
Well, I get woodenboat as a gift every year from my folks, and mbh&h I pick up from work. I tend to skim most of them only reading a few articles. Same with points east. I always enjoy the pictures though. I would have subscribed to small boats quarterly if it was printed. This reminds me, I need to get the boss to re-up the subscription to professional boatbuilder.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
WoodenBoat is a top drawer publication; I subscribed or had gift subscriptions for many years. I always felt obliged to keep the back issues so storage became an issue. But I had zero trouble giving them away when de-cluttering time came. I tend to read magazines online now, with the exception of Points East, which a friend in Maine has mailed to me. I've seen a copy or two of MBH&H and it seemed like a good mag. We have a dearth of similar publications up here in the Canadian Maritimes - maybe not a large enough population base...

Last edited:

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
WoodenBoat is a top drawer publication; I subscribed or had gift subscriptions for many years. I always felt obliged to keep the back issues so storage became an issue. But I had zero trouble giving them away when de-cluttering time came. I tend to read magazines online now, with the exception of Points East, which a friend in Maine has mailed to me. I've seen a copy or two of MBH&H and it seemed like a good mag. We have a dearth of similar publications up here in the Canadian Maritimes - maybe not a large enough population base...
Wooden Boat and Professional Boatbuilder are the only boating magazines I subscribe to. I'm not exactly a traditional boat nut, but I end up reading Wooden Boat pretty much cover to cover. Some great writers and some great subjects. Buying a subscription keeps them going.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Are you seeing any climate refugees in your area?

The term more accurately describes the third world's more immediate problems - rising water or heat.

A couple or retirees moved in the neighborhood from the West coast (Berkely area I think).

'What brought you here?'....

'Wildfires' his reply. They were not chased out by licking flames; one of them has some breathing problems.

I've run into this with another couple (asthma).

We're used to 'climate refugees' going the other way (south) here in Maine. And we have seen an uptick in air quality alerts but mostly our air is clear (and cold at times).

Georges Head island_ (1).jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Is it worth a couple of hundred bucks in materials and several hours of your time to claim 2 1/2" of storage space?

No way at home,....

IMG_3661.jpeg

but on a boat, sure (I think).

IMG_3335.jpeg

Nothing wrong with this, we always used the 'bracket' as a shelf/cubby to store a small dust pan and a few hot mitts. What we didn't have is convenient storage for oven-baking trays. So the few we kept, were stored in the oven. And I never liked that big chunk of wood through-bolted and sitting out there, just to house a 1/4" hole for the gimbal slide-lock. Centering the stove is out as the oven door wouldn't clear the cabinetry.

Design solution: Install 1/2" bulkhead to carry aft gimbal. That leaves 2 1/2" clear inside for oven pans (nesting, more than enough space for several). Add fiddled shelf on top. Should work.

New bulkhead spaced 3" from aft SS, rises - same height as forward SS - in stove area only. Top shelf curb at the height of the counter. 2 1/2" X +-16" clear below, narrow fiddled 2 1/2" shelf.

IMG_5160.jpeg