Food, fixes and notes from the casual coastal sailor.

Elegua

Generalissimo
There's more going on in my harbor than a bunch of stuffed shirts on varnish farms.

I haven't seen this dude but he's quite a hit with the ladies on social media:

View attachment 592799

And then our trolling fishermen:

347859034_3428968680696126_8750219292287306392_n.jpg
Ugh. Dangly things, winches and hooks. What could possibly go wrong?

accnick

Super Anarchist
Went into Billings in Stonington today to check progress on the new engine einstallation, and was extremely impressed with the state of play two weeks after the boat was rolled into the mechanic's shop.

Brief summary:
Old engine removed.
Old gearbox removed, reconditioned, painted, and adapted to new engine.
Engine beds modified, new stainless steel bed caps for new engine mounts made and installed.
New engine temporarily installed and aligned prior to final installation of engine mounts.
Engine cooling water seacock removed and new seacock installed.
All old engine wiring and panels removed.
Begin re-working all primary battery wiring. (I built new remote switching panel before coming to Maine.)
New engine removed to begin design and installation of new exhaust system.
Old house batteries removed, new batteries ordered.

My best estimate is three more weeks to go.

All it takes is $$$$.

Photo 1: engine bay showing new engine mounts (Small waterlift muffler is for the generator.)

For scale, shaft is 1 3/4" diameter.

Photo 2: Rear end of engine with reconditioned gearbox installed.

Photo 3: overview of new engine. Old engine is just behind it.

IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I'm seeing more of these solar oven/cookers. They make sense for people like Elugua cruising in -too warm to use the oven- locations. I love sweet potatoes but who would fire up and oven for an hour even on the coast of Maine in summer.

Gimmick or handy?

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.03.25 PM.png

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The paint was flying yesterday. The two boys rolled and tipped the topsides on the old Vanguard. An hour per side.

Not bad considering it was their first attempt and in typical windy, dry outdoor conditions.

The Red Rocket no more:

70715201645__19DF5068-91BE-47BD-A05F-5CF98AED5DF6.jpeg

My son, despite no formal or work experience, has good knack around tools. He glued up
Sipo (Sapele) and cut out new combings to replace the old thinned-out and split original combings.

He asked if I could join him for a few hours yesterday fine-tuning, hand planing, drilling and countersinking screw holes, and dry-fitting the new combings.

I was impressed with how little we had to do and how they snapped into place. All his cutting was done with a skill-saw and hand plane (I didn't touch them).

Harry has been putting hours in below painting that dismal 60's chocolate-wood-formica with white enamel.

Lipstick on a pig:

IMG_5920.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist
The paint was flying yesterday. The two boys rolled and tipped the topsides on the old Vanguard. An hour per side.

Not bad considering it was their first attempt and in typical windy, dry outdoor conditions.

The Red Rocket no more:

View attachment 594467

My son, despite no formal or work experience, has good knack around tools. He glued up
Sipo (Sapele) and cut out new combings to replace the old thinned-out and split original combings.

He asked if I could join him for a few hours yesterday fine-tuning, hand planing, drilling and countersinking screw holes, and dry-fitting the new combings.

I was impressed with how little we had to do and how they snapped into place. All his cutting was done with a skill-saw and hand plane (I didn't touch them).

Harry has been putting hours in below painting that dismal 60's chocolate-wood-formica with white enamel.

Lipstick on a pig:

View attachment 594468
I've had good luck painting out that old formica. Sand it thoroughly with the RO, use a good tie coat primer, and any final finish you want. The good thing is that it gives a perfectly smooth base to work with. No grain to fill.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The biggest private group I visit is Cooking On a Boat (FB). That says; food, especially healthy food, is important to sailors.

All the cooks (mostly female) have the experience onboard to keep things simple. Two good, simple recipes:

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 7.17.11 AM.png

This one is bake but you could saute on stove top:

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 7.18.22 AM.png

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I've had good luck painting out that old formica. Sand it thoroughly with the RO, use a good tie coat primer, and any final finish you want. The good thing is that it gives a perfectly smooth base to work with. No grain to fill.
Any product recommendation for a shower stall that appears to have a formica-like finish?

Last edited:

accnick

Super Anarchist
Any product recommendation for a shower stall that appears to have a formica-like finish?
If the surface is still in good shape, you might just leave it. Any paint finish you use is likely to be more vulnerable to damage than formica in an application like shower walls. I've had decent luck with Totalboat paint products from Jamestown Distibutors, including their epoxy primers and one-part polyurethane topcoats.

Latest posts

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: