FOOD!!!

Grabbler

Grabbler
El Mariachi said:
So I invited Miss Monday night over for dinner this morning for some grilled Mako shark, something vegetable like and some homemade garlic bread on this killer shit a local baker makes here on town. Any ways at the last second I thought I'd surprise her with a custom cut 1 lb. Rib Eye. My go to butcher guys were out of cow, so I went down the street to Calimax (a pretty good sized chain grocery store here in Baja) and talked to their butcher about slicing me up two 1-1/4" thick R/Eyes, at just under 3/4 lb. each. Fortunately I asked him what that would cost.....and about lost my shit when he told me $660 pesos a f'ng kilo.....which translates to about $15.00 a frickin pound. For Rib Eye steak? Even if it WAS from Sonora? Holy fukoly but that's more than twice what I paid for the same shit just like 9 months ago.

Anyways I said thanks but no thanks and hit my local seafood guy and bought a dozen m/large fresh shrimp and two flash frozen 12 oz. sealed Bluefin tuna steaks that were caught the afternoon before (the Ensenada fishing fleet has been kiling the tuna this month....70 degree-plus clean water and they're thicker than weeds down here). 

Anyways, running short on time (getting close to 5:00) I had to figure out what to do with everything. So I went with this;

1). Tuna steaks. Bit of garlic salt and pepper on one side, paprika and dried red pepper seeds on the other. After an hour I brushed some oyster sauce on one side, flipped them over and rubbed minced garlic on the other side.....then put poured a tablespoon and a half of fresh organic honey right on top and also brushed the sides with it. 

I've got a 9 x9 square cast iron frying pan with about a dozen raised 'fins' in it that gives some fuktabulous grill marks on whatever you're cooking in it.....and I gotta admit....this tuna came out f'ng amazing. And Miss Monday was duly impressed.

For the shrimp? Tail on, shell off, light dusting of sea salt, paprika and Galangadal, marinate for an hour and then stir fried them in a 50/50 butter & olive oil mix, with red bell pepper, cilantro, white onions, green onions, minced garlic, chopped Jalapeños, sliced Mexi squash and red chili seeds. Fuk. Ing. Killer......
And for dessert?...cream pie?... :D

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Backed chicken with peaches, roastted asparragas & potatoes, steamed stringe beanes.   Glaize - freash peaches cooked downe with browne sugar and lemone juise                                :)

Last edited by a moderator:

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Two scrambled eggs with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt thoroughly beaten in to make them light and fluffy, cooked in hot butter then heat turned down to minimum as you stir them.  Add a teaspoon of basil pesto and stir in at the last minute.  Serve (optionally) on a slice of buttered whole wheat toast.  Yummm...!

EDIT:  Forgot.  Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper.

pesto_scramble.jpg

F395

west mi
Pulled Pork Tacos w/refried beans and Cowboy Candie jalapenos

These were fun to make.  I used about every cooking toy I have on them for the pork, beans, jalapenos, and sauce

cooked pork in smoker for 4 hours at 225  Removed and portioned into vac bags and froze with 2 tablespoons of my home made 9 pepper taco seasoning per pound of pork.  

Cook pork from frozen 18 to 20 hours in Sous Vide at 165 deg F. remove juice to fry pan, shred pork and add to fry pan.  Cook over high heat until all liquids gone and pork has started to crisp a little.

Refried bens made in pressure cooker from dried beans, onion, roasted pork bones, my 9 pepper taco seasoning and beer/water

Farmer I hunt his land gave me tomatoes so I made taco sauce with some.  Canned 14 pints of it.  Some hot some mild.  He grew the peppers in the taco sauce also

Home made Cowboy candied jalapenos were grown by my farmer friend and canned by me.

finished with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro

20210727_183523.jpg

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Pork butt before I pulled it. Smoked on a Weber kettle grill at 250 ish for 8 and a half hours. Rested for an hour. 

tastes great. Enough there for the wife and I have 4 dinners and sandwiches for a lunch or 2.  

B4A224AA-6C6B-43B0-9454-56E820023BCE.jpeg

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Followed fave backed mac and cheese recipee, replaiced pasta with fresh colleyflowere.  Bigge hitte with Snag Clan.                  :)

Grabbler

Grabbler
Raiding the pantry and freezer tonight...made the venison brisket tamales last winter...canned some refried beans around the same time...egg was about 17 seconds over-cooked...

20210830_200347(1).jpg

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Rocked a Cuban Balcke Beanes and Rice tonitte.  Mrs.Snaggey ist verrey happey.........                  :)

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

·        1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

·        3 cloves garlic

·        2 tablespoons olive oil

·        1 medium onion diced

·        ½ red bell pepper (seeded and diced)

·        ½ poblano pepper (seeded and diced)

·        1 tablespoon salt

·        1 tablespoon cuminhttps://amzn.to/3aD0ub0

·        1 tablespoon dried oreganohttps://amzn.to/3dAzoTQ

·        1 teaspoon pepper

·        ½ teaspoon cayennehttps://amzn.to/35Zambt

·        1 cup rice rinsed

·        2 cups chicken brothhttps://amzn.to/2YvWiTp

·        2 tablespoons cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Directions:

Rinse beans and let drain.

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions, peppers, and garlic. Add spices (salt through cayenne) and continue stirring until vegetables have softened, 4-6 minutes.

Stir in rinsed (uncooked) rice and sauté for 2 minutes so that the rice starts to toast and lightly brown.

Pour in chicken broth, cooked black beans. Stir once then bring to a boil. Stir a second time then reduce heat to low and place a tightly fitting lid on the pot. Cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. 

Finish with cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Grabbler

Grabbler
Rocked a Cuban Balcke Beanes and Rice tonitte.  Mrs.Snaggey ist verrey happey.........                  :)

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

·        1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

·        3 cloves garlic

·        2 tablespoons olive oil

·        1 medium onion diced

·        ½ red bell pepper (seeded and diced)

·        ½ poblano pepper (seeded and diced)

·        1 tablespoon salt

·        1 tablespoon cuminhttps://amzn.to/3aD0ub0

·        1 tablespoon dried oreganohttps://amzn.to/3dAzoTQ

·        1 teaspoon pepper

·        ½ teaspoon cayennehttps://amzn.to/35Zambt

·        1 cup rice rinsed

·        2 cups chicken brothhttps://amzn.to/2YvWiTp

·        2 tablespoons cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Directions:

Rinse beans and let drain.

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions, peppers, and garlic. Add spices (salt through cayenne) and continue stirring until vegetables have softened, 4-6 minutes.

Stir in rinsed (uncooked) rice and sauté for 2 minutes so that the rice starts to toast and lightly brown.

Pour in chicken broth, cooked black beans. Stir once then bring to a boil. Stir a second time then reduce heat to low and place a tightly fitting lid on the pot. Cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. 

Finish with cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.
Red wine vinegar along with the lime wedges...and dominoes to play when you're done eatin'...

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
Sister-in-law is coming over tonight so she and the Missus can watch their football team suffer further humiliation. On the menu (besides lots of wine) is a Bangladeshi Prawn Curry that she cooked yesterday. Always cook a curry the day before, let the flavors and texture deepen overnight in the fridge, re-heating and serving when you're half-drunk is easy.

I had a taste yesterday. My wife and her sister are chili enthusiasts, but this was fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't use it as grease-stripper for fear it would dissolve the engine block. To actually swallow this stuff would risk turning the inside surface of your colon into something resembling stress-fractured fibreglass. I'm pretty sure it's illegal under the Geneva Convention.

The fridge appears to be a mushroom-free zone, so a plain and simple cheese omelet with a slice of toasted sourdough on the side.  Using Havarti cheese, organic local eggs, a snip of parsley from the plant on the patio, a tiny bit of cream, cooked in butter, lots of beautiful hot butter. 

Life is just so hard......

chester

Super Anarchist
Sister-in-law is coming over tonight so she and the Missus can watch their football team suffer further humiliation. On the menu (besides lots of wine) is a Bangladeshi Prawn Curry that she cooked yesterday. Always cook a curry the day before, let the flavors and texture deepen overnight in the fridge, re-heating and serving when you're half-drunk is easy.

I had a taste yesterday. My wife and her sister are chili enthusiasts, but this was fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't use it as grease-stripper for fear it would dissolve the engine block. To actually swallow this stuff would risk turning the inside surface of your colon into something resembling stress-fractured fibreglass. I'm pretty sure it's illegal under the Geneva Convention.

The fridge appears to be a mushroom-free zone, so a plain and simple cheese omelet with a slice of toasted sourdough on the side.  Using Havarti cheese, organic local eggs, a snip of parsley from the plant on the patio, a tiny bit of cream, cooked in butter, lots of beautiful hot butter. 

Life is just so hard......

you ain't a poet

just  a drunk with a pen

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
The nastiest and most evil curry is Phaal.  Restaurant chefs in Britain sometimes wear a military gas-mask to prepare it.

From Roger's Profanisaurus in the scurrilous British mag VIZ, there's an appropriate definition:

Outpouring of grief. n. A lamentable episode. Example: "Following last night's prawn phaal, there's been a huge outpouring of grief. So I'd give it five minutes if I was you, vicar."

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Herbed meatloafe w/garlice buttere sause, roastted potatose and veggies.........                  :)

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
A baked sweet potato accompanied by a spiced up piece of salmon.  It was followed by a singular piece of chocolate.  The wine was white.

Grabbler

Grabbler
Port St Joe scalloping trip this weekend...weather sucked (thanks Nic)...fresh bay scallops don't...Jr. grilled some up on the half shell...I threw some into a scallop aguachile negro...

155081755_Screenshot_20210920-1140032.png

Latest posts