FOOD!!!

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Our theire deepe fryeng turnkey poestes or dedicated threade?  Wifey wantnes to try that thisse yeare.        :)

F395

west mi
Our theire deepe fryeng turnkey poestes or dedicated threade?  Wifey wantnes to try that thisse yeare.        :)
I have deep fried dozens of turkeys in my life time.  Best suggestion is to brine the turkey for 48 hours in a salt/sugar/molasses brine.  Then inject it with your favorite flavor - I like to use Tony Chachere's Garlic Butter.  rub generously with your favorite seasoning blend - again, I go for Tony Chachere's Cajon seasonings.  Let sit overnight in cold box.  remove turkey from cold box an hour or so before deep fry time and allow to warm up a bit.  Deep fry in 350°F peanut oil if you can, do not use any oil with a low smoke point or you could have an oil fire when you put turkey in hot oil.  Cook for 3 minutes per pound of turkey then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer.  Watch oil temp after putting bird in oil, increase heat from burner to get oil back to 350°F then turn it down to hold 335°F for remainder of cook time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Question - what's the big deal about "end grain cutting boards". They seem to use up a lot of wood and are super expensive, but people put them on their wedding present registration. Why end-grain? Does the extra thickness add some functionality or are they just thick to be thick with no real purpose?
not needed, we use a laminated hard wood board which is 20 years old, oiled regularly with mineral oil, I dislike plastic boards

particularly ugly work like cutting up a whole chicken I will put a wet paper towel down and put a plastic sheet on top

cooking knives are consumable items for me, $150-200 for a good chefs knife every 5 years is fine by me

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
I have deep fried dozens of turkeys in my life time.  Best suggestion is to brine the turkey for 48 hours in a salt/sugar/molasses brine.  Then inject it with your favorite flavor - I like to use Tony Chachere's Garlic Butter.  rub generously with your favorite seasoning blend - again, I go for Tony Chachere's Cajon seasonings.  Let sit overnight in cold box.  remove turkey from cold box an hour or so before deep fry time and allow to warm up a bit.  Deep fry in 350°F peanut oil if you can, do not use any oil with a low smoke point or you could have an oil fire when you put turkey in hot oil.  Cook for 3 minutes per pound of turkey then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer.  Watch oil temp after putting bird in oil, increase heat from burner to get oil back to 350°F then turn it down to hold 335°F for remainder of cook time.
One of the key lessons is to lower the bird into the oil slowly without any of you over the fryer.

We always used an old shovel handle held by 2 hearty gents to get the turkey in and out of the oil.  You probably want to have a pretty good sized tarp under the fryer unless you don't care about a little oil on the ground. 

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
i'm not allowed in the kitchen anymore

aE8GD2G_460swp.webp

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Happey Turkey Daye!  Startted withe homemade corne beefe hashe withe sweete potatoes!  

Sweete!                      :)

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Snags,  I love a fried a turkey.  I’ve cooked several with no drama,  but a spatchcock will give fried a run for its money...  honestly, I don’t think I will ever cook a bird any other way.

juicy, crispy skin, great flavor.   15lbs In 90 min on the grill. Every ounce of skin was edible.  Roast turkey, nah never again.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Creame of spinnach soupe, semolina baggette garlic breade, a coupelle mellowe burgendey.  Nice eveneng.        :)

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Some Scottish smoked salmon on buttered whole wheat bread with the rinds off and cut into 1½" pieces.  Plenty of squeezed Meyer lemon off the tree, and ground black pepper.  And a half bottle of Veuve Cliquot to wash it down. 

Living alone is OK sometimes.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
The wife bought some pork belly. I plan to make some bacon with a chunk of it. Anyone have any good recipes or advice?

Nettles

Super Anarchist
Mumbledead
It doesn't count as the best thing I've made, as all I did was open them, but the Bride and I treated ourselves to some farmed oysters at Christmas, and were so enamored we got some for Dr King's birthday as well.  Dunno if it's because they are farmed or not but we had a taste test with some wild Choptanks (which we like a lot) and they won hands down. Got em from Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury MA

Latest posts