FOOD!!!

QBF

Super Anarchist
Plesae sharre it, I licke to backe alle kindes diffrent breades.                                      :)             
 The present day, I am busy maketh kale soup, so i'll posteth t sometime lief.

In the meantime, taketh a behold at this thread in the cruising anarchy f'rum.  Th're art usually lots of food posts in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Because I made it. My family comes from the Azores, and I used an old Portuguese recipe when I made it.
Going to macke papo secos thisse weekende with asparagus soupe.                                :)

QBF

Super Anarchist
Plesae sharre it, I licke to backe alle kindes diffrent breades.                                      :)             
OK Snags, here is a Portuguese bread recipe I halved as the full recipe makes way too much for one or two people. This is from one of the books by Ana Patuleia Ortins http://portuguesecooking.com. Ana has more "Continental" Portuguese recipes, but she does include some recipes from the Azores.

Notes:

* I have not yet tried this halved recipe so you might need to make some "adjustments" as you go along.

* Also, take note of my warning that you should not knead the bread again after the last raise. If you do, you will ruin the bread!

* Kneading the bread by hand is a LOT of work! I know because that is how I do it. A counter mixer with a dough hook is much, much preferred.

As Bud Abbott stated: "I bake the bread, because I knead the dough!"

View attachment Portuguese Home-style Bread - Half Recipe.pdf

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
OK Snags, here is a Portuguese bread recipe I halved as the full recipe makes way too much for one or two people. This is from one of the books by Ana Patuleia Ortins http://portuguesecooking.com. Ana has more "Continental" Portuguese recipes, but she does include some recipes from the Azores.

Notes:

* I have not yet tried this halved recipe so you might need to make some "adjustments" as you go along.

* Also, take note of my warning that you should not knead the bread again after the last raise. If you do, you will ruin the bread!

* Kneading the bread by hand is a LOT of work! I know because that is how I do it. A counter mixer with a dough hook is much, much preferred.

As Bud Abbott stated: "I bake the bread, because I knead the dough!"

View attachment 300364
Link "Not available".

QBF

Super Anarchist
PDF's don't work with this BBS. It will have to be posted to an outside site and linked.
I think it possibly varies somehow, I beleive I have posted PDF's in the past with no complaints.  I've been able to access the PDF from both my iPad and my lappy. Looking at Snags recent comment he didn't say he couldn't access the PDF.

Oh well...

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I have a pretty good rustic bread recipe, but I always like to try new ones. It's very hard to find decent bread in cow country..... They consider "Arnold's 7 grain" to be "Artisan" bread.....

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Not kidding..... Last summer while I spent 6 weeks in the hosp/ physical rehab place, I'd ask for whole wheat toast.... They'd bring me white. I'd say "I asked for whole wheat" and they'd say "This is all wheat".... It took at least 2 weeks before they figured out what I meant.... "Oh! You want that brown bread!".... Even then, on weekends I got barely warmed up white bread which had so much sugar in it I could feel my blood pressure rise, and the bacon was so salty that it made my mouth turn inside out.....

So much for healthy food in a healthcare facility.....

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
OK, here's a favorite, loosely based on and adapted from a dish I loved in Liguria in the late 70s.

Linguini all' aglio, olio, gamberi e limone

Cook linguini in the normal way with a bit more salt than usual.  While the water's coming to the boil, rinse 7 to 10 large thawed prawns per person, and drain.  I like them tail-on, but picky eaters might like the tail off.  

After the pasta's been going 3 minutes or so, heat ¼ cup good olive oil in a large skillet (or two skillets if you're feeding more than three people) and when hot, drop three or four crushed garlic cloves in each skillet and stir.  Just as the garlic starts to cook, throw in the prawns.  Turn them over once after 2 minutes, and whiz them around a bit.  Finally pour in the juice of 1 large lemon per skillet (2 lemons per if they're Meyer lemons), sprinkle some red chili pepper flakes and turn down the heat till the sauce reduces a bit. Turn the prawns over a couple of times to coat them. 

Drain the pasta, dish up, and heap the prawny garlicy lemony mix over the top.  Finally sprinkle abundant finely-chopped fresh parsley.  Serve with a cold crisp white wine.

Don't forget the finger bowls and extra napkins if the prawns are tail-on.

Simple, and can be effective at times for loosening ladies' clothing afterwards.  ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

tybee

Anarchist
around the bend
Linguine with Asparagus, Shrimp, and Scallions

Anchovy and asparagus may seem a little odd, but here the anchovy brings what bacon or pancetta would to the asparagus and shrimp: it underscores and brings up their flavors, but isn’t allowed to dominate.

Serves 4 as a main dish or 6 as a pasta course
1 pound asparagus, preferably fat-stemmed
2 bunches (about 2 dozen) slender scallions
1 ¼ pounds medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, lightly crushed, peeled, and minced
¼ to ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, to taste
1 pound linguine
1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 2 small anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, patted dry and minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
1. Bring 4 quarts water to a rolling boil in 6-8 quart pot. Wash and trim cut end of asparagus. Peel tough parts of stems (lower third) with vegetable peeler. Cut off tips and set aside; cut stems in 1-inch lengths. Trim scallions and thinly cut on diagonal into 1-inch-long pieces, separating white and green parts. Cut shrimp into 2-3 pieces.
2. Stir in small handful salt and asparagus stem pieces into boiling water. Cook 1 minute and lift out with skimmer. Keep water simmering.
3. Put oil and garlic in large, heavy-bottomed skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 5-10 seconds after it begins sizzling. Add hot pepper flakes to taste and white parts of scallions and toss until scallion is translucent and garlic is barely beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat.
4. Stir linguine into boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente using package suggestions as rough guide. When pasta is almost done, reheat skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Add shrimp, anchovy, asparagus stems, and asparagus tips to pan, raise heat, and season with salt if needed. Tossing constantly, cook until shrimp are just curled and pink. Add herbs and scallion greens and turn off heat. Toss well.
6. Drain pasta, immediately toss with sauce and serve. This sauce should not be served with cheese.

NOTES:

i tend to double the amount of asparagus, i like rotini instead of linguine and, for the sea food averse,  you can substitute boneless/skinless chicken thighs (suitably cut up) for the shrimp

serve with a very chilled sauvignon blanc

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
OK, here's a favorite, loosely based on and adapted from a dish I loved in Liguria in the late 70s.

Linguini all' aglio, olio, gamberi e limone

Cook linguini in the normal way with a bit more salt than usual.  While the water's coming to the boil, rinse 7 to 10 large thawed prawns per person, and drain.  I like them tail-on, but picky eaters might like the tail off.  

After the pasta's been going 3 minutes or so, heat ¼ cup good olive oil in a large skillet (or two skillets if you're feeding more than three people) and when hot, drop three or four crushed garlic cloves in each skillet and stir.  Just as the garlic starts to cook, throw in the prawns.  Turn them over once after 2 minutes, and whiz them around a bit.  Finally pour in the juice of 1 large lemon per skillet (2 lemons per if they're Meyer lemons), sprinkle some red chili pepper flakes and turn down the heat till the sauce reduces a bit. Turn the prawns over a couple of times to coat them. 

Drain the pasta, dish up, and heap the prawny garlicy lemony mix over the top.  Finally sprinkle abundant finely-chopped fresh parsley.  Serve with a cold crisp white wine.

Don't forget the finger bowls and extra napkins if the prawns are tail-on.

Simple, and can be effective at times for loosening ladies' clothing afterwards.  ^_^
"2 if they're Meyer lemons"?.... The Meyer lemons that I grow are 2-3 times the size of regular lemons.... As big as big Navel oranges or small Grapefruit.... And oh so sweet, you can almost eat them like an orange. They make excellent Limoncello too.