FOOD!!!

Grabbler

Grabbler
Trimmed a pork belly to cure for the next batch of bacon (honey/bourbon) ...so Asian pork belly sliders with said trimmings...onolicious!!!

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Just did up a quickie pickled red onions and radishes for my grilled fish tacos tonight. Pick up a head of cabbage, already have an avo and sour cream. Just gotta beat the rain on grilling the fish. Cast iron stove top is the alternative if the rain beats me.  

pickled.jpg

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Well.....1) I didn't beat the rain and 2) didn't like the fish and didn't feel like driving over to the fish market (a whole 10 minutes away!!)....BUT there was some very nice 18 count shrimp so.........a little panko fry up and presto Tacos de Camarones!!

Burp..........

But the clean up is always a PIA...............

Taco.jpg

After.jpg

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Well.....1) I didn't beat the rain and 2) didn't like the fish and didn't feel like driving over to the fish market (a whole 10 minutes away!!)....BUT there was some very nice 18 count shrimp so.........a little panko fry up and presto Tacos de Camarones!!

Burp..........

But the clean up is always a PIA...............

View attachment 301349

View attachment 301350
The cycelle of lust an surfaitte continiues                                            :)

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
So you put bunch of tater tots in the toaster oven as high as it goes to cook them super crispy.

Meanwhile you fry up some bulk sweet italian sausage with some olive oil until just done and throw some flour in the pan with the sausage and cook until the flour is a light brown roux. Heat up some whole milk in the microwave and add that to the sausage pan as needed to get a nice thick gravy stirring and adding fresh ground pepper. It takes a lot of pepper, the right amount of salt and milk to get it right. 

Fry some eggs over easy the way you like them and put them on a warm plate along with the super hot and crispy tater tots. Spoon suasage gravy on the tater tots and put ground pepper and worchestershire sauce on the eggs and eat right away. Make sure you get a perfect bite of egg with sloppy yoke and a gravy covered tater tot!

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
I do like tater tots.......crispy.........I'll bet you gotta eat fast or the tots get mushy.....I'm up to that.......
Ditto on the tater tots.  But since I'm a baconaholic, I developed a simple dish called "oiglers."  Wrap a dozen tater tots in a half strip of bacon each. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.  Pull 'em out, add 2-3 pieces mozzarella or other soft cheese on top of each and bung 'em back in for another 3 minutes.  Bacony cheesy totty goodness.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Ditto on the tater tots.  But since I'm a baconaholic, I developed a simple dish called "oiglers."  Wrap a dozen tater tots in a half strip of bacon each. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.  Pull 'em out, add 2-3 pieces mozzarella or other soft cheese on top of each and bung 'em back in for another 3 minutes.  Bacony cheesy totty goodness.
Dude...............yer killing me here............bacon AND tots..................AND cheese.........ALL 3 FOOD GROUPS IN ONE DISH........yer killing me..............

Last edited by a moderator:

chester

Super Anarchist
damn your soul!

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
whatever you do don't deep fry the tots in peanut oil instead of baking them, holy shit those are good

you can get around the high speed consumption by only spooning gravy on half the tots and dip the dry ones as needed

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
So you put bunch of tater tots in the toaster oven as high as it goes to cook them super crispy.

Meanwhile you fry up some bulk sweet italian sausage with some olive oil until just done and throw some flour in the pan with the sausage and cook until the flour is a light brown roux. Heat up some whole milk in the microwave and add that to the sausage pan as needed to get a nice thick gravy stirring and adding fresh ground pepper. It takes a lot of pepper, the right amount of salt and milk to get it right. 

Fry some eggs over easy the way you like them and put them on a warm plate along with the super hot and crispy tater tots. Spoon suasage gravy on the tater tots and put ground pepper and worchestershire sauce on the eggs and eat right away. Make sure you get a perfect bite of egg with sloppy yoke and a gravy covered tater tot!
I would call this redneck biscuits and gravy but BnG is kinda redneck to begin with. 

This will be on the breakfast menu very soon.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
damn your soul!
It's already taken care of, I can assure you.  Going straight to the inferno after this.  But I'll be in good company.

Regarding the 'oiglers' (an old Sydney word for a 'thingummybob' or' whatsit'), if you like the bacon cripsy, leave them in 5 minutes longer before you put the cheese on.  I like my bacon medium, but YMMV.  So may your oven.

And if you like your tots cripsy too, shove them in the oven for 10 minutes first on the baking tray while you find the bacon behind the beer bottles, cut it up, bandage your finger and slice the cheese.  Then haul the tots out, wrap them up, and in they go again.

Grabbler

Grabbler
whatever you do don't deep fry the tots in LARD
Fixed that for ya...there was a Malcolm Gladwell podcast called "McDonald's Broke my Heart" about how they used to cook their fries in beef tallow...kinda hard to find, but you can lard pretty easily...for the occasional batch of fries or tots I fire up this makes an amazing difference in crispiness and taste...

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Fixed that for ya...there was a Malcolm Gladwell podcast called "McDonald's Broke my Heart" about how they used to cook their fries in beef tallow...kinda hard to find, but you can lard pretty easily...for the occasional batch of fries or tots I fire up this makes an amazing difference in crispiness and taste...
I remember when McD's changed over from animal fat to vegetable oil in their deep fryers. It was a fast train to disappointmentville.

QBF

Super Anarchist
Simple Chow Mein

Here is a very easy, and quick to make recipe for Chow Mein that I cook multiple times a week.

Ingredients

* Noodles (the photo shows Lo mein noodles that I had left over, but I actually prefer Angel Hair pasta)

* Dark Soy Sauce (if you have some, if not, whatever you have on hand)

* Sesame Sauce

* Szechuan Sauce

* ColeSlaw Mix (it's shredded green cabbage & carrots)

* Vegetable Oil

* Dried Hot Peppers if desired. I purchased some that were grown in India. The first time I made this dish I used 5-peppers. I quickly discovered that five of these things could wake up the dead. Needless to say, I now use only one!

Cooking

1) Cook the noodles half-way and set aside. Do not drain the noodles until you need them!

2) Place a wok or skillet on higher heat, and then add some vegetable oil and dried pepper after the oil is hot. Cook for about 20-seconds while stirring.

3) Add the ColeSlaw, and stir. Cook for about 10-seconds or so while stirring.

4) Add the Sesame oil, soy sauce and Szechuan Sauce. Cook for about 20-seconds or so while stirring.

5) Drain and add the noodles to the mix. Cook for about 20-seconds while stirring.

Serve and Enjoy!

Ingredients.jpg

Noodles and Pepper.jpg

Chow Mein.jpg

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
Great stuff everybody! Thanks

I did a  new twist on my Turkey Gumbo recipe the other day, since I didn't have a turkey carcass to make the stock from.

I put a large pack of chicken thighs (skin removed) in the smoker over an oak fire for two hours. I put in a few links of venison sausage on the rack above them so the drippings would baste the chicken. (chicken thighs were well seasoned with Salt Lick Barbecue Rub - gotta get some of that!)

After smoking I pulled the meat off the bone and threw the bones and some onion and celery in a stock pot to make the stock.

The smokiness of the chicken bones made for a wonderfully smokey stock.

From there I pretty much just followed the Turkey and Sausage Gumbo recipe I've posted previously.

(WIllin' - I was listening to Little Feat while I cooked, made me think of you!)

I served it, along with my Seafood Gumbo, at our big annual Mardi Gras blowout. Everyone loved it.

OTH