Fort Lauderdale to Charleston Race

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Boys and girls, welcome to the first-ever edition of On-The-Water Anarchy from an ocean race. Ralfie Steitz and the boys from the US Merchant Marine Academy have been kind enough to invite Mer and me aboard the (1-year) old Moneypenny, now called Vanquish. Owner Jim Swartz asked the MMA if they could keep with the James Bond theme when they renamed her, so they picked the model of Aston Martin driven in one of the recent films.

The crew is a mix of MMA midshipmen and graduates, as well as a handful of pro sailors who sailed on the boat under Swartz. The first time most have sailed on the boat was today, when they beat down from West Palm Beach to our current slip at the bikini-filled bar 15th Street Fisheries. Hard to get much better than this, as you can see from

For the race, there's also live tracking - hopefully we'll be in Charleston just a day after we leave on Wednesday at 1400.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
It's obvious ralfie hasn't fully recovered from the head injury.
Well, whatever it did to him, he runs a hell of a ship and is a wonderful leader. We went out today in 12 knots which built to 18 or so from the SE, and had an absolute ball. The 6 or so mids were enthusiastic and eager to learn, Ratty the boat captain is hilarious, Ben the bowman is graceful and flawless, and the boat just flies. The amazing thing about it is how damned simple she is. The hydraulic system is brilliant and runs through the pedestals, with controls for jib leads (in-out, up-down), jib cunningham (the halyard is on a lock), and forestay tension. The mainsail has vang, cunningham, and outhaul on the same system.

The kites are freaking huge - almost 5000 sf for the biggest one. I'll be trimming, with John from Dockwise on the other side. Mer is helping out on the foredeck.

Got a bunch of good videos from today uploading, check back in an hour.

MER

Reporters
Practice Day Photos...

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_0.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_2.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_3.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_4.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_5.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_6.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_7.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_8.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_9.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_10.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_11.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_12.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_13.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_14.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_15.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_18.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_19.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_20.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_21.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_22.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_23.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_24.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_26.jpg

LAUDERDALE_TO_CHARLESTON_PRACTICE_1_27.jpg

Yaz

Super Anarchist
Clean,

Great job. Very nice. A little constructive criticism:

Do not ever, and I mean ever, show your mug on video again.

We don't give a sweet shit about tarpon, focus on the bikinis. Tits and camel toe beat tarpon any day. Don't even try to tell us you didn't know that.

That boat is sweet - have fun!

Clean, can you tell us more about the trick tracking system... there's nothing on the official website yet.

Say Hi! to my Port Credit friends on Black Diamond if you get a chance....

All the best!

are you thinking of Wimowea ? Williwaw was not a 46 EricsonWimowea hit the rocks , were you on board?
So what year did it hit. I was never on any E 46 that hit rocks we did find sand in Albemarle Sound . The paid NZ skipper Phil Holland (Rons Bro) called it "Williwaw" when I was on it. The thing is I did this race and delivered it to NY City And you know I cant remember seeing the name. I left the boat in the Hudson to head south to do the del SOL al SOL Isla Mejurars Race . That was another wild trip!

Latest posts