FP Americans have not seen the ocean

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
From the FP, the reason sailing is not popular and in decline in the USA is Americans have not seen the ocean :huh:

I'll call bullshit on this idea. A *lot* of our population is near one coast or another and lack of interest in beach vacations and beach property is NOT an issue anywhere I ever heard of. This is NOT the cause of our problems. Somehow 6-figure outboard fishing boats are flying off the shelves too, so apparently Americans have seen fish  :rolleyes:  

Crowded-Beach-640x480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissie

Super Anarchist
From the FP, the reason sailing is not popular and in decline in the USA is Americans have not seen the ocean :huh:

I'll call bullshit on this idea. A *lot* of our population is near one coast or another and lack of interest in beach vacations and beach property is NOT an issue anywhere I ever heard of. This is NOT the cause of our problems. Somehow 6-figure outboard fishing boats are flying off the shelves too, so apparently Americans have seen fish  :rolleyes:  

Crowded-Beach-640x480.jpg
Looks like so many people you could spend the day at the beach and still not see the ocean.

sailforbeer

Here
Does Brian Hancock have to include, in every fucking piece he writes for the FP, the fact that he sailed a Whitbread?

Good for you Brian, but instead of some drivel that talks about, well, mostly, you, and then makes vague statements like...

Most Americans, and I don’t know the percentage but it’s high, have never seen the ocean. 
...maybe you could put down your glass of rosé (spelled with an acute accent mark, btw)  and do a fucking internet search? Maybe try this: Google

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Reason why sailing isn't more popular in America? Yachtclubs have always been more about another way for the elite to get away from the city and suburbs - it is a golf course mentality. Folks who behave like jackasses in real life don't help. 

I've said this in other posts - in New Zealand we sailed with our mates growing up and there was no shortage of boats that kids could get their hands on. In America? What sort of kid has access to a boat? A rich wealthy white one - who is probably going to go play xbox instead because he has no friends, because half the time he's an entitled private school brat.

Ppl see the ocean - they just can't afford a boat.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
I think the FP theory is pretty flawed. The decline in sailing probably has to do with: (1) the amount of time younger people have for recreation, (2) not so much the price of a sailboat (they have been going down) but access to suitable bodies of water, (3) for those who take up power boating rather than sailing, an indifference to burning fossil fuel, since you rarely see people in displacement cruisers, usually it's a planing boat (3A) my own theory that lots of folks cannot have fun unless they are burning fossil fuel: bass boats, ski boats, ATVs, wave-runners, dirt bikes, muscle cars, riding lawn mowers, etc., (4) Unwillingness to learn the skill/art of sailing.

I went sailing today for a few hours on my inland North Carolina-Virginia lake. I saw three other sailboats, probably 12 bass boats, all at flank speed in pursuit of a fish, 12 pontoon boats, 1 Sea Ray Sundancer 34-foot planing cruiser.

weightless

Super Anarchist
The reason hula-hoops are not popular in the USA is because Americans can't see their...

No, wait, that's not where I wanted to go with this.

What I was aiming for was that the theory that sailing is not popular in the US is because Americans don't see the sea is bullshit. How bullshit? Let me count the ways. No, wait, I have limited time for this. Allow me to summarize:

1. Even in places where all able bodied Americans see the sea regularly sailing was never very popular and is less so now. Take Oahu. The place is positively surrounded by Pacific Ocean. People there have noticed that. There is a great cultural attachment to the sea. Ocean voyaging is often in the news. Access to sailing is easy for anyone who expresses an interest or is good looking or is willing to share beer. Still, sailing, particularly yacht racing enjoys less popularity there than quidditch, a game where one holds one's shaft out for public ridicule.
  2. Even in UnAmerica being able to see the sea doesn't make sailing popular. NZ is a special case. Pick your island nation. Take a nation, any nation. Say, Fiji or Samoa or... Go and ask someone on the street about a major ocean race. Any major ocean race. I think you'll find very few informed sailing fans. While I haven't done this, I have visited many island nations and, by and large, folks who live there don't sail and don't know anything about yacht races. I presume they've all seen the ocean.
  3. ...
We could get into the evidence here, but why? If one could be bothered to shoo the flies away from the theory I think olfactory observation would detect poo.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
@Rule69 very well put. The original claim is just so intellectually lazy. It's like folks who look at the success and talent of the German national football league, and say oh that makes sense because Germany has a lot of land and not much access to ocean. 

Uhhh institutional planning and development has nothing to do with it I'm sure *sarcasm*

Varan

Super Anarchist
Do you count the Salish Sea as ocean? You can see land all around (and whales). 

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
It's like folks who look at the success and talent of the German national football league, and say oh that makes sense because Germany has a lot of land and not much access to ocean. 
What? You mean that's not the reason? You mean it's the result of planning and resources? I thought it was bratwurst.

weightless

Super Anarchist
The author must have speaking metaphorically...

f8bee0e0343abe015761f40121e83761280fc416e4ab548bd2341828bb8f662d.jpg

They have never smelled the salt or seen the sun dip gently over the horizon spluttering and sizzling as it hits the water. My future mother-in-law had never seen the ocean until she was in her 70’s. She gets the ocean now because she has seen it, tasted it and enjoyed its beauty.
Beware the metaphorical mother in law. A great force in the disturbance, she is.

People new to boating only want to turn a key, start an engine, and roar off too somewhere quickly, and in a straight line.

Americans all want to be Miami vice...fast boats, fast cars, and fast women.......

You'll never be able to drag NASCAR or Coors light out of the average Americans DNA...

DtM

Super Anarchist
Out of the Office
Did you know Brian sailed in the Whitbread??  Not sure why that makes him an expert in anything.

Why do we have to have Brian Hancock on the FP at all?

Lazy Ed, lazy. 

Charleston SC is doing quite well with four YCs on or near the harbor.  I have worked RC on the water for 15  regattas this year.  Also nine high school teams have their own regatta schedules.  Sailing is alive and thriving in Charleston .  .  .

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
Here's a commercial airing currently:  They manage to make an Etchells look douchey. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7cRq/ralph-lauren-polo-blue-sail
All I could think was "they all need haircuts, badly".

Americans all want to be Miami vice...fast boats, fast cars, and fast women. You'll never be able to drag NASCAR or Coors light out of the average Americans DNA.
Sad but true.

Did you know Brian sailed in the Whitbread??  Not sure why that makes him an expert in anything.
+1.