Frankenstein boat for the poor cruiser...will it sail?

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
There are no rules in Anarchy bro.
Okay. If you say so. Please continue with you stunning discourse on boat design. I am particularly interested in your goals related to the popular sailing ratios: SA/D etc. most other sailors here will be thrilled with your ideas regarding revolutionary ideas on anchor design and electrical crimper selection. 

But, seriously, we are quite interested in the particulars of the Thai girlfriend that you dream of attracting to your yacht. 

Last edited by a moderator:

LongJohn

Thailand
Why not sleeve the 6m alum tubes you have available to make a 12 or 18m long mast(s)?
The aluminium I can get here is 6063. Same type used for window frames. Not suitable for structural elements.....like tall masts.

QUOTE: AL 6061-T6 has a higher yield strength and fatigue strength when compared to AL-T6 6063. 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Woukl

What is cheap? A safe 40 footer that doesn't need any expensive repairs..... So far the total materials cost for my trimaran including engine, AIS, radar, wind steering, anchors etc. is between 40k and 50k USD. I can get many cheap materials here and directly from China. If I buy a 1980 used monohull for that price I will end up with lots of maintenance, very old navigation equipment, old sails, old rigging.....
You could get a real usable boat for $50k :rolleyes:

Would you come flying with me in an airplane made from weird random shit and a weird design by an amateur who has zero experience with airplanes?

Would you move in next to a nuclear reactor built by some guy whose experience with power plants is jump-starting a car once?

There is a reason boats are made the way they are ;) Please at least remember a frying pan, cheese, bean sprouts, and a book about the 4th Mode. That way you will have a chance, maybe not a good one, but without those essentials there is no chance whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I don't think the stiffness of modern boats is the goal. I think the goal is light and strong. The only way to make something light very strong is to use very stiff materials. There are outrigger boats with deliberately free swiveling ama's to prevent plowing in to waves.

No, there aren't. There have been a few trimarans with amas that could rotate around the boats Y-axis, the bearings were carefully built to prevent them from "swiveling freely".

It's turned out that wave-piercing hulls that are as rigidly held as possible are a lot faster and safer.

Also, be careful of mistaking "strong"... as in something that can withstand very large loads without breaking... for "stiff" as in something that can withstand very large loads with minimum deflection.

Study the designs of James Wharram. It sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel.

FB- Doug

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
But I like taking risks. Life is short, better make it an adventure.
Do what you want and just wear the biggest lifejacket you can find...........and safety glasses......and a hard hat.  What could go wrong and yes, life might be shorter than you ever imagined

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
I don't want to spoil the ending for you...ah screw it, yes I do.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/389708/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-sinking-sail-boat-off-coast-monterey#.VRRO1_nF-ct

Screenshot_20210829-103123.png

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Cheap - Light - Durable

Anarchy or not... You can only pick 2!

Wasn't the Tin Can recently converted to cruising and up for sale and probably way under budget? 

2 cm thick wood on a multi seems a tad overkill....

Why not just launch a giant kite, no rig needed!!

My favorite is the multiple rigs on amas that flail about! How fast would it shake itself apart?

Albatros

Super Anarchist
this one has potential, we should support him, troll or not, to see how far it gets. personally I'm having few reservations about this revolutionary bicycle derived hull joining contraption, way over my head it is, can't see how earth this would work in first place, let alone coping with marine loads, but that's just what makes it fun, remember our dear old friend the Harlisaki-man, and others, for spirit I'd invite the LongJohn to consult one of the true heavyweights on free yottie thinking, to be found at :   how to imagine your ultimate yot and if all else fails, contact Brent Swain who will inform you -for a minimal fee- how to get round things, of course Bob P. could also give you a good lecturing but that comes at a price

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
this one has potential, we should support him, troll or not, to see how far it gets. personally I'm having few reservations about this revolutionary bicycle derived hull joining contraption, way over my head it is, can't see how earth this would work in first place, let alone coping with marine loads, but that's just what makes it fun, remember our dear old friend the Harlisaki-man, and others, for spirit I'd invite the LongJohn to consult one of the true heavyweights on free yottie thinking, to be found at :   how to imagine your ultimate yot and if all else fails, contact Brent Swain who will inform you -for a minimal fee- how to get round things, of course Bob P. could also give you a good lecturing but that comes at a price
I think we should just steer him to the HotRod Catamabarge/rutter thread. It's already been so-o done.

FB- Doug

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Thailand? We’d love to see the required wife/gf/ho tit’s now. That is the rule here. 

Have you ever lived on a boat? Take a look around a Thai harbor to see what the sane and practical people are living on.  Fisher-persons, cruisers, drunks. You will notice their boats share no similarity with your goofy dreams. 
Even the non sane and practical.

Still he uses the obligatory 'bro' so that will help with the gf.

Latest posts