Friends list GONE, PMs GONE, settings GONE

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Dawg is a good guy. I'm sure he'll do the right thing, but it may take a while.

I doubt that he is paid a ton of money to operate this site, so let's give him a chance to sort things out. He may have believed some promises from the IPS folks that turned out to be false. Testing would have uncovered the misrepresentations, but testing costs time and money.

OTOH, if he's getting 100K or so a year to do this, well, fail.

Not that I want the job.....

As for someone keeping valuable information without a backup in their SA PM's and then whining about losing it after an upgrade, well, HTFU, any valuable data should have at least one backup. Its your own fault.

Having said that, Go Dawg Go!

dash

pippi

Anarchist
Hell
FUCK FUCK FUCK....I don't normally bitch about shit like this, but DAMN IT!!! How can you lose EMAILS? Seriously, is there no way to get them back?

sailflat

Super Anarchist

I doubt that he is paid a ton of money to operate this site, so let's give him a chance to sort things out. He may have believed some promises from the IPS folks that turned out to be false. Testing would have uncovered the misrepresentations, but testing costs time and money.
Testing costs a LOT LESS time and money than the problems from NOT testing.

It is backed up. I am sure they have multiple backups.

I am sure that Dawg backed up the data as part of the upgrade process.

sailflat

Super Anarchist
FUCK FUCK FUCK....I don't normally bitch about shit like this, but DAMN IT!!! How can you lose EMAILS? Seriously, is there no way to get them back?
The easiest way would be..

Restore the whole ball of wax from backup and start the upgrade over.

Who knows about the more difficult ways. Could take days of time and several boat bucks.

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist
I have asked the IPS guys why the users data (mine included) has been wiped.

I had no idea this was going to happen. Seems kind of stupid.
I have 20 years experience managing IT deployment/integration projects from 50 machines to 86 thousand machines for Coke.

Cut your losses and roll it back!

I lost PMs containing everything from proof of Weids infidelities and fraud (not so important but interesting)

to

PMs containing weather routing info and links, PHONE NUMBERS and contact info, etc from people who don't come here any longer like LR. (incredibly important which I should - no would have backed up if I had any clue this would happen)

Come on, get that shit back!
FAIL !!! anyone with 20 years in IT should be anal about redundancy

unless they work for Coke or Weed
ohmy.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif

B U Y P E P S I !!!

riracer

Super Anarchist
This is the only thing that's giving me a real sadness. I can deal with the changes, the look. But .... and yeah, I think I bitched on another thread already, I wanted those emails. Oh well, time will tell. In the greater scheme of things it's still good.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
This is the only thing that's giving me a real sadness. I can deal with the changes, the look. But .... and yeah, I think I bitched on another thread already, I wanted those emails. Oh well, time will tell. In the greater scheme of things it's still good.
Getting back the PMs are a priority. I have backups of all my emails but the last 250 PMs I have are unarchived.

Funny - every time I refresh the forum there is a change in something. Go the dawg.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW

Testing costs a LOT LESS time and money than the problems from NOT testing.

It is backed up. I am sure they have multiple backups.

I am sure that Dawg backed up the data as part of the upgrade process.

No doubt. Fixing bugs in test is ALWAYS cheaper and less painful than in Production. I've been in SQA for 12 years now and have seen this kinda thing before...

I archived all but 10 or so of my PMs. If I lost anything important (phone numbers, addresses, dates, etc) I would just ask for the information again and explain that it was lost in the upgrade. Simple. Dawg is doing a great job and we should be cheering him on and not ripping him down. I'm already seeing noticable improvement in the skinning and hopefully we'll get back to where we were in a matter of days. Lighten up oldies, it's the facelift that you need but can't afford :p

Dixie

Reporters
SF
I'm trying to find the best place to add suggestions for improvement - not the whine gallery. Is this it?

If so:

I need more contrast between the user names and the dark gray bar behind their name. Can you lighten the bar or darken the name? I'm on a macbook and the settings are pretty close to full brightness.

I'm trying to find the best place to add suggestions for improvement - not the whine gallery. Is this it?

If so:

I need more contrast between the user names and the dark gray bar behind their name. Can you lighten the bar or darken the name? I'm on a macbook and the settings are pretty close to full brightness.
you LOVE your mac so the world should calibrate its self to look good to you on your mac

or "YOU" can follow the link at the bottom of my sig in my post

Calibrate Your Monitor Now !! or at least see how far off it is :-O

and get your loving mac to see the world as it was intended

or just complain B)

Last edited by a moderator:

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
I have 20 years experience managing IT deployment/integration projects from 50 machines to 86 thousand machines for Coke.

........snip..........

I lost PMs containing everything from proof of Weids infidelities and fraud (not so important but interesting) to PMs containing weather routing info and links, PHONE NUMBERS and contact info, etc from people who don't come here any longer like LR. (incredibly important which I should - no would have backed up if I had any clue this would happen)

Come on, get that shit back!
For someone with your 20 years... you sure failed in protecting your data. If SA were offering a service commitment to protect your data from loss, then perhaps you may have a point, but there is no service commitment. You should have taken your own precautions. A simple copy/paste into a word doc, or copy paste into an email to yourself would have sufficed. It would have taken no time at all if you did at the time you received or sent the important PM.

And one more thing...

A little advice perhaps a bit too late.

ALWAYS test before you do it to the live environment!

Test, TEST, and test again!

These days, I am CEO of a very large data base driven web site, many times the size of SA...

WE ALWAYS test even the smallest upgrade in a sandbox before going live with it.

Give VMware a try at least.

I would recommend...

Roll it back...

Install some VMware or perhaps buy some testing time on a cloud...

I can arrange for access to a test cloud at a very good rate.

TEST, TEST, TEST

Fix the user interface too while you are at it. And then...

Apply the update.

Done
You sure can be a dictatorial, arrogant and self righteous SOB, full of advice for someone that can't protect their own data. You are right that testing prior to going live is the best policy, however there is a method of suggesting and/or coaching, and motivating that one would have thought a CEO would employ. Get over your self importance. I don't think many gave your words any more credence by spouting off your corporate position.

No doubt I will see some flamboyant and defensive response ...step back and realize that not only did you screw yourself by losing data you are responsible for, you could have said the same thing much more effectively. <_<

MR.CLEAN

Not here
for those of you who didn't know, the PM system before (and I assume it will have the same functionality now) allowed you to archive all your posts so the system would send them to you either as a CSV file or an HTML page. It was just a couple of clicks.

Dixie

Reporters
SF

If so:

you LOVE your mac so the world should calibrate its self to look good to you on your mac

or "YOU" can follow the link at the bottom of my sig in my post

Calibrate Your Monitor Now !! or at least see how far off it is :-O

and get your loving mac to see the world as it was intended

or just complain B)

Dude - you have to be kidding.

Dawg or who ever he works with have been really fucking brilliant at getting the site to work well in Chrome for Mac b4 a lot of other people did (like FB for example). I commend him. And you don't need to protect him by saying I'm complaining, he's pretty good about speaking up for himself. Go back to whining about how to get your precious Larry emails and let Dawg worry about his job.

My screen according to your measurements, scores well. And thank you for the link.

Dawg - links don't open new windows, which I think they should (and mostly used to)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawg

Dawg - links don't open new windows, which I think they should (and mostly used to)
It has to be some piece of hard code I will have to find. I am sure they did this because many others complained about too many windows or tabs opening. There is always someone who complains.

For now on a lap or desk top computer, do a right click and open in a new tab or window.

awolf209

Super Anarchist
for those of you who didn't know, the PM system before (and I assume it will have the same functionality now) allowed you to archive all your posts so the system would send them to you either as a CSV file or an HTML page. It was just a couple of clicks.
Well, I'm one of those idiots who didn't know and would seriously like to get my PMs back so I can save them now.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Well, I'm one of those idiots who didn't know and would seriously like to get my PMs back so I can save them now.
I knew but didn't think they would go away, but I know Davey is good at this stuff though so let's have faith.

Latest posts