From Russia With Love

tizak

Read a recent comment by Ma about how earlier in his professional career he stopped trying to play perfectly and started focusing on how to play in a way that communicated something to his audience. Perfection had become boring and rarely elicited the audience reactions he hoped to achieve. Obviously a very insightful guy as well as highly talented musician. Says he loves to practice more now than he did when he was younger.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
The above describes perfectly the difference between mechanics and artistry.  Music is art we can hear and feel - the great ones know this - The great conductors coax it from the orchestra. 

What is so special about Miles Davis? He had a memorable quote about it's the sound which I can't find so here is this:

His innovations forever changed jazz, and although a great trumpet player, he is most remembered for his stylistic innovations

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Leonid and Friends are playing Orlando May 20th, Jules. 

It's a Friday, but Charlotte and I are contemplating making it a Eff-it-All long weekend. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Natiure Boye & Girlle decide to 'cutte loose' at Disney, plesae tacke snappshottes the holle waye............              :)

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Dependeng on time of monthe I mitte be abelle to helpe withe baille............... what our frendes foire?

:)

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Dependeng on time of monthe I mitte be abelle to helpe withe baille............... what our frendes foire?

:)
A post-dated check loan? 

True story: Charlotte has a bit more than a thousand dollars of points to be spent in Disney facilities.  She wants to take a Disney cruise - but I'm afraid I'd end up tossing the Rat overboard or making a play for Tinker Belle (Rowrr.)  So we're talking about a Disney resort down south at Vero Beach. A thou shouldn't last too long at Disney - I can maintain... 

130lights

Anarchist
Lake Michigan
He was performing in Houston, when coming on stage he fell - we were all standing and clapping - he smile and waved off help so we continued to stand and clap for some time, it seemed like a really long time and when he regained his feet the applause and cheers were loud with Bravo! shouted.  He was very gracious and played his heart out.  One of those times you never forget.  Truly amazing person - there is a PBS doc on him that is very personal and illuminating. He overcame a lot to achieve his greatness.
That PBS doc is well worth an investment of time. He is an amazingly gifted and generous man.  

130lights

Anarchist
Lake Michigan
The above describes perfectly the difference between mechanics and artistry.  Music is art we can hear and feel - the great ones know this - The great conductors coax it from the orchestra. 
Great conductors make such a difference in performances! I was a season ticket holder for years when Neeme Jarvi was the Detroit Symphony conductor, but that orchestra lost their soul and many of their best musicians when his health forced him to retire. The musicians even dressed better in his presence. His encores always concluded with ‘Twinkle twinkle little star’. Talented, respected, loved, yet fun.

Swaying

DC, USA
As I got lost in his music last night, I remembered seeing Itzhak Perlman at Orchestra Hall. Just incredible talent, fortunate to experience it.
I went to an Itzhak Perlman recital around 1995. Just awe-inspiring how one unamplified guy with a violin could fill a large concert hall with sound.  And such beautiful sound.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Leonid and Friends are playing Orlando May 20th, Jules. 

It's a Friday, but Charlotte and I are contemplating making it a Eff-it-All long weekend.
We saw them a couple of years ago in Tampa.  Back then they were primarily a Chicago cover band and, while I loved their cover of Street Player, I preferred Chicago's originals to L&F's covers.  So the concert was so-so for me.  We had backstage passes and got to meet the band.  That was fun.  My SO's son took advantage of that to hand a love letter to Ksenia, letting her know he was available.  HA!  Gotta give him credit though.

Now that they have spread their wings, and especially with them starting to write their own songs, another concert attendance may be in order.  Their cover of Tower of Power's So Very Hard to Go is pretty good.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
I went to an Itzhak Perlman recital around 1995. Just awe-inspiring how one unamplified guy with a violin could fill a large concert hall with sound.  And such beautiful sound.
A Stradivarius or Amati are amazing sound generators. 

A very very musically talented branch of my family liked to give string quartet performances after holiday dinners.  Two violins, viola, cello. One year the oldest daughter was preparing for the Van Cliburn competition and she had been loaned an exceptional Stradivarius.  Halfway through the evening concert, she left the room and got the Strad.  Her dad just about went bug-eyed when she opened the case, but she put it under her chin and the started to play Fur Elise and the sound of that Strad in the room seemed to shake the walls.  

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
A Stradivarius or Amati are amazing sound generators.
While doing research for making acoustic guitars, I learned about tonewoods and tap testing.  I bought three sets of Alaskan spruce soundboards, two were cheap and one very expensive.  While doing tap testing on the pieces, I was amazed at the difference in resonance and sustain.  Stradivari must have had an amazing talent for picking the right woods.

in_TO

Super Anarchist
I was going to book them for a private party for the end of this year, but I've reconsidered, given geopolitical realities.

WhoaTed

Anarchist
Holland, MI
On 4/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, Jules said:

I first heard their rendition of Chicago's Street Player about 3 years ago and loved it.  Serge's vocals were awesome, and Arturo Sandoval?  His horn play says it all. 

I went to see Sandoval at the Copacabana in NYC when it was on West 34th back around 2005, great show & his whole band were hella musicians.

Last edited by a moderator: