Front page screed

What a sad person who has little knowledge of history, the advance of technology or the actual drive behind those rules - all of which I think are great as they actually REDUCE the number of snouts at the trough. AC is a technology and design event first and foremost. I miss crew work as well, as I miss F1 drivers steering one handed while shifting a sequential gearbox and (not that you could see it) using a clutch. But we move on. The current AC is certainly different but no less brilliant. If you want to timebox, go and watch the 12m worlds (or even the 6m worlds). Still beautiful boats. Just not relevant to the question of who can design and build the fastest boat.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
What a sad person who has little knowledge of history, the advance of technology or the actual drive behind those rules - all of which I think are great as they actually REDUCE the number of snouts at the trough. AC is a technology and design event first and foremost. I miss crew work as well, as I miss F1 drivers steering one handed while shifting a sequential gearbox and (not that you could see it) using a clutch. But we move on. The current AC is certainly different but no less brilliant. If you want to timebox, go and watch the 12m worlds (or even the 6m worlds). Still beautiful boats. Just not relevant to the question of who can design and build the fastest boat.
Actually, if the AC was really about designing and building the fastest boat, you'd have a DoG match, or at least use the DoG basic design requirements which are only the waterline length, with none of these limiting rules that Dalton imposed, especially the number of days a team can sail. Since when is requiring the purchase of a specific tender have anything to do with designing the fastest boat?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Actually, if the AC was really about designing and building the fastest boat, you'd have a DoG match, or at least use the DoG basic design requirements which are only the waterline length, with none of these limiting rules that Dalton imposed, especially the number of days a team can sail. Since when is requiring the purchase of a specific tender have anything to do with designing the fastest boat?
The AC33 DoG Match in 2010 was so awesome! Seriously.

AC34 SF with the AC72s was wild too but damn, am glad to have followed and experienced a historic DoG Match up close, we may never see that again.

Last edited:
Charlie Barr was Scottish. Hos crew scandinavian.
Oh well so much for facts...
Charlie on Columbia, Alex corham (owner) at the wheel
20220817_232910.jpg

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

This is America in her later years, rigged with a foremast topsail and a more conventional arrangement of jibs. Owned by a former Union Army general and passed down in his family for a while, then given to the Naval Academy. She had a reputation for being fast, weatherly especially for a schooner, even after generations of newer design had superceded her. The Navy stored her in a shed which collapsed in a snowstorm, when I was a kid you could buy a half-hull model of American made from her actual planking, for something like $3... advertised in the back of RUDDER magazine.